Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Did you see that storm last night?

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 17 December 2009 | Views [1167] | Comments [2]

Ok...  So this will teach me to 'Gob Off' in my last entry......

Monday the 14th of December, 2009.  I was up a couple of times in the night a bit apprehensive about navigating our way out through the entrance of port Stephens in the dark.  At  4.00 am I was on deck and cast of the lines.  We picked our way through the navigation marks cautious of the shallow area in the entrance where waves can unexpectedly break.  Looking closely at the chart plotter that confirmed our position whilst just making out the landmasses in the darkness we left the safety of the bay.

 Once out in the ocean the breeze was 20 -25 knots from the south east.  The seas were only slightly lumpy but just enough to make us feel a bit queasy.  We raised all sail and had the motor ticking away as we had a 150 mile run to Coffs Harbour.  I really wanted to stop at Camden Haven which was at about the half way mark but Cath really needed to fly home the following day to collect the kids. 

 Throughout the day we counted down the miles.  When you are averaging about 7 knots it’s a long run to Coffs Harbour.  The sailing conditions were really great and we were starting to get our sea legs.  At about 8 pm we were watching the sun go down behind the clouds with me commenting to Cath that we were having a great run that would be uneventful getting us in about 1 a.m the following morning.  Hadnt eaten all day apart from a couple of pieces of chocolate.

At  8.30 the VHF radio came to life with the Coast Guard issuing an urgent severe thunderstorm warning.  They gave the area that was in danger where upon checking was exactly where we were.  Cath looked at me quite concerned where I reassured her that even if we did get caught in it that we would be ok.  I then went about taking down all but the head sail just in case we did get caught.  I know from past experience that usually the front of the storm is the worst with high winds that can take you by surprise. 

Within 15 minutes I could see lightning lighting up in the direction of the mainland about 15 miles away.  I kept an eye on our radar screen and could see a large purple patch which would indicate rain.  As this patch got closer I looked to the sky to see rolling, angry, foaming black clouds with lightning all through them.

The front of the storm hit us as expected with torrential rain and winds up to 40  knots, leaning the boat over onto an angle as it engulfed us.  Now its easy to use terms like ‘torrential’ and be all dramatic but Im talking about rain that you cant put your body in the way of or let alone look into.  The type of heavy rain that you would have to pull over in your car because your windscreen wipers wont keep up.  Within 2 minutes an empty bucket I had in the cockpit was full and overflowing.  We were engulfed in darkness except for the sky regularly lit up with lightning as strikes hit the water all around us followed by deafening thunder like bombs going off.

Cath remained down below and was quiet except for asking the occasional question about what happens if lightning strikes the boat or  is everything ok up on deck.  I reassured her that it would pass and we would be fine.  The seas were quite flat as the ferociousness of the rain had levelled the sea.  During this time the wind gusts were up to 40 knots.  My clothes were drenched as though I had jumped fully clothed into a swimming pool.  By this stage I stripped them off,  wearing nothing but my underwear and a safety harness with lightning all around me in the rain.  I don’t think it was a very good look as they were white ‘grandpa undies’ even though they had Calvin Klein written around the band. 

This was truly a scene out of a movie if when they try to portray a bad storm.  I hoped we would be ok but had an overwhelming sense of responsibility that both of our kids parents were in quite a severe situation.  If I had been out there with some of the guys that I normally sail with it still wouldn’t have been pleasant but another story to re live in years to come.  I was becoming frustrated as I could see on the radar screen that it was staying with us and we were remaining in the middle of it.  When I slowed the boat, the storm seemed to slow and the same when I sped up. .  The storm kept my full attention for three hours before it dissipated and the stars came out.  It was now around midnight and I had been up for nearly 24 hours.  Cath then took a watch for a couple of hours and I fell into a coma like sleep.

At 4.30 am we navigated in the darkness into Coffs Harbour and tied up, We slept though to lunch time leaving the boat looking like it had been ransacked.  Later in the day we caught as taxi to the airport where Cath flew back.  Without exception everyone we spoke to would say, “did you see that storm last night” We didn’t tell people that we had been out in the middle of it acting as a ‘lightning conductor’ I decided to stay for a couple of extra days and tidy up the boat and catch up with our friends ‘Gus and Sarah’  That night on the local news, one of the lead stories was about the severe storm and high winds that damaged  different parts of the town.

Well my plan of showing my wife how relaxing coastal sailing can be didn’t work as well as I hoped.  I love nature and the elements and was quite impressed with its performance and although I wouldn’t go through those conditions by choice am glad that I’ve been through it.  I can completely understand why a lot of people could think of nothing more terrifying than the situation we were in

So, we are now getting into the semi tropical zone where the only clothes needed are shorts and t-shirt.  I now on a plane back to Melbourne and have to return to the boat on the 1st of January to free the pen up for boats participating in the Gosford to Coffs harbour yacht race.  I will anchor out for a couple of days until they leave and holiday for a couple of weeks on the boat with the kids.  Next stop – Gold Coast.

 

Tags: storms.

 

Comments

1

Enjoy some champagne drinking, blue skies, calm sailing!! xx

  Sam Jan 1, 2010 10:44 PM

2

hey dad, seems like you are all having an amazing time exploring the east coast of australia. cant wait to be back and included int he journey! missing you lots, love massey xxxxxxxxx

  maddison Ellis Jan 17, 2010 10:43 AM

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.