Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Family Days Sailing Coffs Harbour to Mooloolaba

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 January 2010 | Views [2346]

I flew into Coffs Harbour on New Years Day by myself.  The marina was hosting the Pittwater to Coffs yacht race that needed my berth.  When I had booked in it was on the understanding that I would have the boat out by the 4th.  I didn’t mind, as it would give me a few days by myself to get the boat ready for the next leg up the coast before the gang arrived.

 

By the time the race boats arrived on the 4th I had really settled in.  I knew most of the cafes in the area and spent the days lazing around reading and drinking coffee.  Its funny when you slow life down the different things that amuse you.  I watched one day as a boat had been put into a certain part of the marina where you don’t usually put yachts.  As the tide went out the boat rested on the bottom and was lifted high and dry.  We all kicked in and helped as the tide came back in to push it back into a proper pen.  Throughout the day race yachts began to appear led by the famous Sydney to Hobart winner ‘wild oats’.  All night as boats finished the race and entered the Marina they had to yell out their boats name to the officials.  Can’t say I got a lot of sleep but I was kept updated on who was winning the race.

 

The following day Cath, and three of my daughters, Bec, Lilly and Sophie arrived.  Was great to see them and we caught up with friends and went to the nearby carnival.  The lovely Elise who manages the marina kindly let me stay and found Silver Lady a spot rafted up to another boat.

 

Over the next couple of days whilst we enjoyed Coffs Harbour, I could feel myself becoming more apprehensive.  Even though I have sailed thousands of miles it was the first time that I had taken my family on a coastal passage and the responsibility of it was starting to weigh on me.  Say something happened?  What if we had an accident?  I was dying to get going, as I know I would feel ok once we had left.  I walked up to the breakwater the night before we left and looked out over the ocean asking for it to be kind to me over the next couple of days.

 

4.45 am the next morning, Cath and I awoke and cast off the lines.  The kids didn’t stir as we motored out the outer harbour and headed north past the Solitary islands.  The dawn was amazing and there was a light southerly breeze.  At about 9.30 the kids arose and came up on deck for their morning hellos.  Breakfast was a procession of Cath passing up toast with the spreads of choice.  I should have know that to the kids this was no different to the many times they had sailed around bays in Victoria and they took it in their stride.  We were well on our way to our next port Yamba.

 

About 8 hours after we had left we approached the Clarence River entrance.  Conditions were perfect.  Reading the cruising guides they tell you the worst of conditions that can occur where waves break over the entrance.  Cruisers at Coffs had warned me not to follow the leads in and enter the river from the south as in most conditions it is safe.  We motored up the Clarence and worked our way through some interesting channels to the Yamba Marina. 

 

Once we re fuelled Silver Lady we were allocated a berth before all walking into town.  What a great little country town.  We were there in the tourist peak but the place had real character.  A bit trendy, a bit alternative but most of all, friendly and laid back.  I went to the local supermarket and asked for mineral water.  He showed me the plain brand to which without thinking, I requested Pelegrino mineral water.  In a hail of laughter the manager told me that I was now in Yamba and I had to learn to relax.  Good Point I laughed as I walked out with my ‘no name’ mineral water.  We walked up to the top of the hill to the Pacific Hotel, which has the most panoramic ocean views in Yamba.  The next day was spent just lounging around in full cruising mode.  Not a worry in the world!   We even went to the movies located in a big tin shed and saw ‘Its complicated’ great film if you are a girl.  If you aren’t a girl you want to perform self-harm rather than endure the whole film.

 

The following morning we cast off at about 5 am.  Not knowing the channels leading back out very well, I wanted daylight to find all the channel markers.  Thankfully Cath picked up on that I was going the wrong side of one set otherwise we would have run aground.  We left the Clarence and back out into the ocean, heading for the Southport Seaway and the Gold Coast.  Once inside you can head almost all the way to Mooloolaba in protected waters.  I was hoping to enter the seaway entrance in daylight to make navigation easier.

 

We had another great run that day.  We saw a couple of other yachts in the distance around us also heading north.  There is a current that runs to the south that begins just offshore.  It was particularly strong at this time and if I didn’t hug the shore all the way we lost at least 2 knots of speed over the ground.    For several hours we were surrounded by a huge pod of dolphins that played around the boat.  Giant Sea Turtles appeared at different times.  The sea seemed really healthy and full of life.

 

As the day went on, I could see that we weren’t going to arrive until after dark.  Not much that could be done, as we were already out there.  As the sun went down the lights of Surfers Paradise from the sea looked amazing.  They looked every bit as good as Las Vegas at night.  I suppose some people would say that Surfers Paradise is Australia’s answer to Sin City. 

 

At 10 pm we entered the breakwater to the Southport seaway.  I could see the red and green channel lights for the previous hour and even as we entered I could not see a thing.  It’s at these times you appreciate the outrageously expensive navigation electronics.  Bec radioed the Seaway Tower as we entered to let them know we were in safely.  The radio operator joked that they had a band to welcome us.  At that moment we looked up to see the whole shore lit up with a music festival similar to ‘the big day out’ held in Victoria.  Even at this time of night the Broadwater was full of boats going about their business.  It was great to finally tie up at the Southport Marina and have a hot shower.

 

The next four days we did all the usual Gold Coast things such as theme parks and catching up with friends.  We even spent one day with a working bee on Silver Lady.  It’s the least we could do for her after she had looked after us so well.  We were now really starting to notice the heat.  By 7.00 am it was so hot and at night you couldn’t even have a sheet on you.  We celebrated my birthday on the 11th of January where I introduced the kids to the Hogs Breath Café.  I explained that it fitted my criteria;  Great food, served quickly and plenty of it.  The kids had a ball and still talk about how good the food was.

 

Whilst on the topic of food, let me give you some advice.  Just because it’s hot and you feel like you are on holidays, don’t have a large double chocolate thick shake every day because you will put on weight!  Trust me, don’t do it.

 

On the move again with an early start up the Broadwater to Moreton Bay where Queenslands Capital, Brisbane is.  Now there are a couple of shallow parts so you have to juggle the tides but this area is a well kept secret.  It is a string of waterways and is so pretty and changing.  You are almost instantly in the country and as you approach Moreton Bay there is some beautiful islands.  The locals have been hiding it from us with boats anchored in remote anchorages all the way up.  I have always sailed outside in the ocean past this area but I would recommend anyone to visit it if you get a chance.  Just bring your navigational skills and a good chart.

 

We navigated our way up through the shallow Moreton bay to Scarborough.  I went down for a sleep and was awoken to be asked what to do about a ship coming up behind us.  We got out of the way!  The whole area of Moreton bay is so shallow!  I wouldn’t pick it as a cruising ground in a yacht as its just such hard work.  We were heading to stop the night to catch up with some real cruisers, Bob and Joan aboard Dreamtime.  Was great to catch up and went out for fantastic Italian that night. Always good to see friends from home and share stories.  I love seeing the kids at all these new places as their eyes light up with the new adventures they know they are about to have.

 

The following morning on the 13th of January 2010 we left Scarborough and back out into the ocean for the last 10 miles to Mooloolaba.  We tied up at the Warf Marina that is right in the town.  Heaps to do with great beaches and the whole area is quite upmarket.  We did all the usual things but mainly just relaxed, wandering the shops and eating out.  Don’t forget what I told you about the thick shakes as they have good ones in this town.

 

During our stay there I spoke to a recommended shipwright, as Silver Lady needs some extensive work done on her decks.  I got quite excited before he said that he couldn’t do the months work until April.  Now the dilemma, do I leave the boat to get it done?  I worked out that I would have to leave it some time and it would bring Silver Lady back up to immaculate.  So the tough decision has been made to leave the boat for the next couple of months to have the work finished.  At least she will be set up for years to come.

 

We packed up the boat and spent our last night in accommodation in Noosa and out to dinner with our best man ‘Francis’.  Have you ever experienced air conditioning?  It was seriously good and a nice big bed.  I love the whole sailing adventure but I also appreciate good beds and cool rooms.

 

I will keep you posted on the work as Im already dying to get sailing again. 

 

 

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.