Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Moving Forward - Fraser Coast

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 3 August 2010 | Views [1080]

It’s been three months of full time work on the boat by a great shipwright but silver lady is back together and ready to go.  The decks are brand new, hull re sprayed, new antifouling and the propeller re pitched to let her go faster under power.  She looked fantastic and I couldn’t wait to get sailing again.

 

On Sunday the 25th of July 2010 my brother Tim and a couple of mates, Robbie and Gus flew into Mooloolaba.  What a mess the boat was.  Not unexpected as really Ken the shipwright needed another week to finish the last bits and pieces.  Eight hours later after shopping, packing, cleaning and fuelling up we were ready to go.  A week set aside for cruising up the coast, hoping to visit Lady Musgrave Island and finishing in Gladstone.

 

We headed out of Mooloolaba at about 8 pm with a light south-westerly aiming to make the tide to enter the notorious wide bay bar by 6 am the following morning.  We sailed through the moonlit night with rolling one hour watches.  I didn’t know what Robbie was thinking with a quick briefing and there he was alone in the ocean on his first ocean sailing trip.  With the light conditions and me on standby only five feet away I felt very comfortable.  Throughout the night we had to keep reducing sail to slow the boat as we were quickly knocking down the 60 nautical miles.

 

A couple of times during the night we chatted with John on Meridian on the VHF radio, another Melbourne boat doing the same passage.  its always nice comparing notes.

 

After an uneventful entry over Wide Bay Bar between the Australian mainland and Fraser island (www.fraserisland.net).  We motored up the inside channels and stopped for the day at remote ‘Gary’s Anchorage’    This is about as far along the great sandy straight you can go without high tide.  We spent the day fishing and relaxing with a trip to shore to look around.  The whole area is just so pristine, Fraser Island being the largest sand island in the world with huge established trees.  The day was quite overcast with periodic rain but quite warm.

 

After a solid 9 hour sleep we were up with the tide the next morning and motored 15 miles through the Sandy Straights where we anchored off Kingfisher Bay resort.  An echo friendly resort nestled amongst the trees.  A general store, gift shop and welcoming swimming pools and dining areas around the accommodation area.  Big tides in the areas meant when we returned to get the dinghy there was a 100 metre drag through ankle deep mud of the dinghy to the she water edge.  Two of the rebellious crew went missing in action around the local bars at the resort until 10.30 that night.   It was a phone call from Melbourne that alerted me to collect them from the shore. 

 

Our plan had been to make the 90 mile run from Kingfisher directly to Lady Musgrave.  Forecasts of up to 20 knots from the north would have made for a long, uncomfortable day.  In keeping with the philosophy of the trip, we decided to go with the wind so we headed a few hours across to Urangan to the Great Sandy Straights Marina. 

 

The marina has an easy entry with a shortcut between big and little woody islands at high tide.   Pretty expensive to stay just a night but facilities were great with chandleries, café’s and close to Harvey Bay.  An afternoon relaxing with the sun finally out we relaxed on the deck and Gus and I headed to Harvey Bay to the movies.  Tim and Robbie went and ‘invested’ funds at the TAB.

 

Perfect conditions on Thursday saw us motor sail 40 miles up to Bundaberg.  We stopped at the Bundaberg Port Marina where the boat will sit for the next few weeks.  I bumped into John on Meridian again as they were passing through for a couple of days.  The marina lived up to its reputation for being accommodating and friendly.  Regular visits to the café-restaurant at the marina during happy hour were a great meeting place for all the local yachties.

 

The next day saw a lazy rest day of packing up the boat before our return flights home. 

 

During the week you can feel the everyday pressures lifting off your shoulders.

I could really get used to this life!

 

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.