Existing Member?

Shockalotti and Lozenators Intrepid Journey This is the online travel journal of Wynne and Lauren. We are travelling to Canada Vancouver to live for a year or so. On the way we will stop off and visit a large chunk of South East Asia: Taipei, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Cambodia.

Hat Ton Sai

THAILAND | Monday, 5 March 2007 | Views [1423]

Mellissa and Darren arrived the next day from New Zealand, which was so unexpected and cool at the same time. We flew down to Krabi airport together and scooted off to Ao Nang beach resort where all rich old german tourists and their 3.75 kids go to holiday. Darren and I spent 1.5 hours searching for accommodation less than 3900 Baht (120 $ US). Eventually we found a nice moldy grimy place which smelt of damp meldew / wood. What a welcome for Mellissa! He he he. I think the highlight for her was the dirty looking ass bath in the toilet (in place of toilet paper) at the end of our hall. We lived through that night and quickly hoppped on the boat to Hat Ton Sai the next day.

Wow! If you are ever considering a beautiful, cheap, and hip place to do rock climbing then dont hesitate to come here. The cliffs are fantastic, and overhang the water in the most bizzare way (our photography of this area regrettably is pretty bad - so I will see if I can phlagerize someone elses efforts to capture how cool these cliffs are). Stalagmites / tites? (I can never remember the little poem) overhang the water, and at any time during the day you can see people climing hundreds of feet in the air - scary!

Everyone, guys and girls, at Hat Ton Sai look lean and chiseled like they had been working out for the last 300 years. Apparently rock climbing is a good sport for getting fit.

We explored the area by trekking over the hills and found the local beachs Railay and Pra Nang. Very nice. Darren and myself were appalled at the number of fit women choosing to sunbath topless. Darren reckoned they must be German.

We saw a bunch of monkeys scrambling from house top to tree, scrapping it out. They are cheeky little devils and will steal food and other bits if you leave them out. One night we were having dinner a what appeared to be brown berries fell near our plates. Luckily we had almost finished since the berries were actually monkey terds. He he he.

Whilst we were close we took the opportunity to dive in one of the worlds best dive spots called Ko Phi Phi. We saw lovely coral and fish, and had a blast in these beautiful waters.

Mellissa had heard from a good friend (named Jane) who really like Krabi, and thought it would be a great place to check out. I was going to go rock climbing but decided to change my plans so we could hang with our mates a bit longer. Anyway I can do plenty of that in Canada.

Krabi was a bit of a hole to be honest. So hot you wouldnt believe possible. I think it must have been at least 40 degrees celcius and really humid. All the shops were shut because it was the weekend. So we went looking for a pool, which we gave up on. Then we went to see the movies which were all in Thai. So we contented ourselves by going back to a local Irish Pub and knocking back a few beers.

The next day I woke up to my third bout of food poisoning in 2 weeks - in Thailand. When they tell you Thailand is the most developed country in SE Asia and they know how to cook food - dont believe it. You will get food diarrhoea at some point in you spend a couple of weeks in Thailand. Almost everyone I have met has had it.

We found a great spot in this miserable little place called Siyoma. The staff we lovely, hilarious even, cooked brilliant food, cost next to nothing, and played any newest release movie you wanted, and you could use their internet or cheap. So if by some misfortunate circumstance you end up in this town, then eat and stay at Siyoma.

Tags: Friends

About shockalotti


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.