Existing Member?

Shockalotti and Lozenators Intrepid Journey This is the online travel journal of Wynne and Lauren. We are travelling to Canada Vancouver to live for a year or so. On the way we will stop off and visit a large chunk of South East Asia: Taipei, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Cambodia.

Luang Prabang to the Border

LAOS | Wednesday, 21 February 2007 | Views [855]

We had to back track to Luang Prabang in order to make the journey to the Thai border. Again accommodation was a hassle to obtain.

In summary: Luang Prabang to Pak Beng by slow boat. When they say slow, they arent kidding, this thing was meant to take 9 hours, and in the end was more like 11 hours. We ended up negotiating through a rapidly moving Mekong river in almost pitch dark, with navigation lights, and a depth measuring pole. I shudder to think what would happen if we hit rocks at speed. The journey was most uncomfortable for about 60 of the passengers, however, for the 6 of us up front it was rather enjoyable. We drank local Laos rice whisky called Lao Lao, played guitar, sang, played cards, and basically socialised. Everytime I looked back at the other passengers, which wasnt often I am sure I saw blue murder in their eyes.

The next days boat trip was much more comfortable and a bit faster taking 8 hours. We arrived in Huay Say and slept overnight to prepare for the crossing in the morning.

Tags: On the Road

About shockalotti


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.