Existing Member?

the road to serendipity

Nobody said it was easy

CAMBODIA | Monday, 3 November 2008 | Views [781]

Yesterday was not an easy day for me. Being my last day at CCPP, everything I did took on an extra burden of knowing that I wouldn’t be doing that when I woke up the next day, which was hard as I’ve grown so used to filling up paints, sorting paintings, cleaning wounds for the children, and especially playing with them everyday for the past month. To make it even harder, knowing that it was my last day, the kids were especially affectionate and kept asking if I was returning to my country. It wasn’t easy answering them. I hate to leave and I wish I could stay on. Quietly I’ve made a resolution to come back, hopefully next year.

One of the kids absolutely broke my heart. He’s only 8 and my absolute favourite. I look forward to his kisses and hugs everyday and that would simply make my day. He’s always cheerful and would always jump into my arms or onto my back. We could hardly communicate due to the language barrier but smiles and hugs were enough. Knowing it was my last day,he refused to go home and just clung onto me. I persuaded him to go home but he just remained silent, head bowed down. His sister, who waited for him, got angry and left without him. It was only later when an older boy snapped at him that he turned around and walked away quietly, without saying goodbye. I watched him as he walked up the hill, wiping his tears with his sleeves as he walked on, occasionally turning around to look at me, but never waving goodbye. That immediately brought tears to my eyes. I’d never expected to become emotional but at that instant I knew this child had made an impact in my life. I don’t know if he would remember me a few months from now but I will never forget how his face lights up whenever he smiles, and that sight of him walking up the hill and disappearing around the corner.    

Ended off the night with a nice dinner of khmer dishes with CCPP’s staff and some of the other people I’ve met in S’ville. Then it was back to the house to start the packing madness – I’m bringing back 60 paintings for an exhibition to raise funds for these kids back home this month, so I’m now returning home with even more bags then when I came. More information about the exhibition will be posted real soon. Please come to the exhibition now that you know of my exhibition. Do spread some love to these beach and street children!

About shix


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.