Existing Member?

On the Loose So, Here I go!! I will add updates frequently with pic's so you can all live vicariously through me!! and join me whenever possible- Love and Peace to you all, I will miss you, hoping to be back soon with a whole new life!!

Losinoni/La Bella Luna

TANZANIA | Thursday, 29 November 2007 | Views [2110] | Comments [1]

nov 29
I woke up with a migraine this morning, the first headache or any sort of not feeling well the whole trip thus far, and decided to stay at Ilbouro and sleep and rest.  Must have needed it as I went back to bed at 9:30 and didn't wake up until the maid came at 2pm!  Headache was gone, so thankful I stayed.

The visit to Losinoni was amazing for those guys...a true African experience they reported...was so sad to have missed it, however the goat may have pushed me over the edge!!!!!

They were welcomed into the Maasai Boma with the whole town coming out, they said it was as if the were the president, there was dancing and hundreds of people lining the path.  The people were so proud of their water` project Rotary had funded, they hiked through the fields to get to the spiget and had pictures taken.  Rotary has piped fresh water to the village from the mountain, the water used to be too heavy in flouride and peopl,e were getting sick, now it is fine.  They had a speech from the director of the school to explain their greatest needs, mainly teachers...they have 9 teachers for 700 some students!!! many teachers will not stay as the village is remote and without electricity..  They also made special mention of the Shuyler's in Evergreen and the assistance of Africaid for all their amazing work and support.

A feast was prepared.  They were led to a place and were given soap and water to wash their hands and then gathered in front of a white sheet, under which was a whole roasted goat.  Marcia was given the first bite and then she offered it to Bob and Brenda who reported it was very chewy!!! and kinda not great!!!! they also had cucumbers and rice.  After the meal they were taken to the womens project where the women sell their goods they have made. Brenda and Marcia made purchases for people back home that will be resold with the profits going back to the women.

We decided to go out for dinner as last night we were offered the same menu as the night before,so 3 nights would have been ridiculous as there were only 3 entree choices....  Chui brought us to a place called La Bella Luna, he was disappointed as we had to sit inside because the gardens were closed due to a party.  The food was great I had a brick oven pizza with tomatoes and basil, but the real excitement was the party!!

Dinner was interrupted by the sound of music outside...wild, loud drumming and trumpets, I jumped up to go investigate and found people all dressed up dancing to the music around a fancy car all decorated with roses and flowers, they formed a huge dance line circling the car to the loud beat, all carrying gifts and dressed in beautiful gowns and dresses.  Chui had come to explain it was a pre wedding celebration..450 people.  They were dancing around the bride to be in the car.  The guests all go in 1st, then the band leads the groom to be and his family in to the festivities, the groom is hidden somewhere inside and later once the bride is led in, she will go find the groom in the crowd and take him....  A HUGE party!!! we were invited in to join,as we went into the tents in the garden to watch the party we were offered a seat and drinks at the open bar.  There were cakes, 2 of them, one was an english cake and I can't remember what the other was...they looked like wedding cakes...these parties are a big deal and cost the family alot, but the couple recieve gifts, such as furniture and cars......I guess there is some money in Arusha after all.....The wedding will be 2 days away on Saturday where they will do this all again at the reception, in a different location.  Quite fun to witness such a custom.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Evergreen here. Hope the goat was cooked through and that you got some of the potatoes. Precious folks there at Losononi. Also hope that you got to visit Ebenezer Secondary School in Arusha....Nov. was a long time ago.

  Nancy Clement Aug 8, 2008 2:22 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.