Existing Member?

Shagger's Sheepdog Safari An insight into the journeys taken by a young pup as he traverses across the oceans in an attempt to find... something?

American history 101

USA | Sunday, 8 July 2007 | Views [521]

Three hours in Philly the first time was probably not enough so I decided to check it out for a second time. Fairmont Park is massive and as the Hostel was located at the north end and the city at the south end it took a bit of walking to get into the city. The temperature seemed to be somewhere in the region of 'Bloody Hot' with humidity dripping from every object. Climbed up the rocky stairs, saw a museum of Rodin sculpture and visited the Temple University. Nice city but not a hell of a lot other then the Independence stuff along with a few other things to do.

Washington was another story. Again I had stop off here with the other guys on the way up but I felt I needed to come back here for a few more days to see everything I wanted. In the end I spent 5 days here and I was awesome. Spent over a day in the Air and Space museum, could have spent another. It will be hard to top this museum as the best I’ve seen yet. Other good museums were the Museum of Natural History, Holocaust Museum, - very somber but well worth the visit - and the National gallery of Art East wing.

While I was there the Smithsoniom Institute had a folk festival from Northern Ireland, Northern Virginia roots, and the Mekong region. After seeing the things on the Mekong I’m really excited now to get down to that region in a few months.


By the way, this time of the year is not a good time to travel as everyone else in the country seems to be doing the same. I don't mind kids but when you get a number of them, stick them in a museum that they couldn't care less about and drag them around all day, they turn into annoying little shits. Not all of them, but just enough to give you the shits.

Anyway, had a blast in Chicago for July the 4th. Met some random guys at a concert I was at and spent the day with them and there friends. Fireworks were a bit lame, but the fact that the whole day, people kept on reminding me why the USA is the best country in the world made up for it.

Hope everyone's not getting too depressed by the weather back home. It's currently a pleasant 24 deg but will hit mid thirties sometime today.

GO CATS! Get on board those who go for lesser teams like, Essendon. Tell Steve that his team put up a good fight but just not good enough.

Tags: Trippin around

About shagger


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.