Existing Member?

Shagger's Sheepdog Safari An insight into the journeys taken by a young pup as he traverses across the oceans in an attempt to find... something?

State College

USA | Sunday, 8 July 2007 | Views [609]

As we drove into the driveway of the Blue house, a couple of familiar faces greeted us with huge smiles and hugs. I found out the next day that the 'salad rolls' that we had that night when we got in are in fact called hoagies. Howard had just finished the school year and had set about organising a number of activities for my stay, the main of which was the white water canoeing.

The next day I finally said my goodbyes to Balshaw and Dale and was immediately put to work mowing the grass, cutting/jumping on tree's to make them break and weeding at Christina's mothers place in preparation for the following day's festivities. Again, there was plenty of food to go around, theses people know how to cater. Howard was keen to show his winter cross country skiing trails he had made through the woods and in the fields.


We all managed to see Carl’s skills of the drums when we made it to some underground bar to see him play. Unfortunetly the others in the band were fairly ordinary and I don't think he'll be filling in for them anytime soon. The night was quite funny though, not many people were in the place to see the band as in was happy hour for most of the night - $4 pitchers. Howard and I reckon Christina was a little tipsy, Anna sneaked in the back door under age, and I was given the job of going to the bar because Howard and Christina seemed a little daunted by the younger crowd, so a good night was had by all.

After about a 2 hour crash course on white water canoeing we set off to the Lower Youghiogheny River, PA. Apparently I did alright and we only went in once, there were a couple of grade 4 rapids - it goes 1-6 - but you'll be happy to know mum that we stayed away from the one that kills people, seriously!

Saw another baseball game, this time it was terrible - apparently the team we were going for 'The Spikes' have now won 9 games in a row since I’ve left. Howard took me into Amish country with there buggies, hats, overalls, and beards. They're funny people the Amish.

Hiking with Anna was an experience. We sort of got lost and landed on the wrong side of the range which made a 6 mile walk into about a 10-12mile walk. At one stage I think Anna was about to clobber me.

So after about 10 days I left on a Train towards Philly and Washington, before my travels to Boulder.

Tags: Trippin around

 

About shagger


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.