Existing Member?

Shagger's Sheepdog Safari An insight into the journeys taken by a young pup as he traverses across the oceans in an attempt to find... something?

West Coast USA

USA | Thursday, 3 May 2007 | Views [794]

Hi all,

So i've been in the States now for 9 days and everything is going well so far. The hostels are nice and i've even had one of the rooms to myself which was a pleasent difference to the crowded rooms.

As for first impressions i like to think of the States as controlled chaos. The people here are very intense and loud, which may be compensating for the fact that they talk really slow. I have to repeat myself at least once. Also, the econimic diference between the rich and poor is hard to get used to. There are homeless people everwhere you go and so many people with what seems like a whole truck load of mental problems. I suppose thought that this is what happens when you privatise everything in your country.

Anyway, on the second day here i met up with some aussie backpackers. One of them met up with a nickolodeon producer and he was kind enough to drive us around for the day which included a trip up to the Hollywood sign where we took some fosters cans to drink to celebrate ANZAC day here even though it was the 24th, but 25th for you guys at home. That night we saw The Nightwatchman, aka Tom Merollo from Rage Agianst Machine, play along with guest performances from Ben Harper, Alanis Morrisette, Jerry Cantrell, Cypress Hill and more that i can't remember of at this time. Not bad for a cover of $10 and only 200 people.

Went to a baseball game at Dodgers Stadium against San Fransisco Giants with 8 time MVP winner Barry Bonds. I must say that it is a pretty boring game for an outsider with the only highlight coming in the first innings with Bonds hitting the only homer for the game.

By sheer luck i saw the World Cup final, Yeh! After giving up on seeing it on a TV - One of the biggest tornements on the planet, next door to them and they will only show it in a South African pub on the other side of town, bloody Yanks - i saw a couple of guys in a taxi and asked if they were off to see the cricket. They said yes, so i jumped in to the suicide taxi and we went off to see the last of the aussie innings and the Sri Lankans innings. What a game, and a shambles at the end. Bet some of you at home would have taken a few sickies to see the end of the game, i.e. Greg.

Besides that i've just dome the tourist thing here in LA. Universal studios (fairly good), Mann's chinese theatre (just like an ordinary theatre), and Disneyland with Susie on her 21st b'day (not too bad, a little more for the young ones though).

I've spent a few days in San Diego which was good. Saw the world Famous San Diego Zoo. They still have the Pink Flamingoes mum. The park was well worth a visit and i do suggest you take a peak if you're in the neighbourhood. I also saw the USS Midway which is an engineering masterpiece. To land those planes within 30 seconds of eachother is mind-blowing and they take off at the same rate. 0-280kmh in about 2 secs.

While i was in San Diego i also crossed the Border into Tijuana, Mexico. Not as bad as i thought, but the main strip is something to behold. Sin City to the max. Bars, clubs, Strip joints, brothels line the street as far as the eye can see and they are keen as to get you into there place. Luckily, i went there with the assistant manager of the hostel in San Diego who knew the place well and he took me to a bar which he knew the guys who ran it. Tehy looked after us and even shouted us the drinks and meal.

I'm back in LA now and off to Nashville tomorrow to catch up with Balshaw and the gang for a bit of Kentucky Derby action. By the way how'd the cricket boys go with there horse at the May races Greg?

Hope your all safe and well,

Luke

P.S. I'll put some photo's up soon.

Funny base player for the supporting act to the Nightwatchman.

Funny base player for the supporting act to the Nightwatchman.

Tags: Trippin around

About shagger


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.