Existing Member?

Exotic Endeavours

Infectious Infections

PANAMA | Friday, 1 August 2008 | Views [584]

Its been a while since i journalled because i have been laying low hoping that i will fight ouf all these infections etc. I am now back in Costa rica in belen a small town outside of San Jose. Before leaving Panama I went to the grand opening of the new Chapel the latter day saints opened, 30million was the cost to build this behomoth. They welcomed the 100s of guests to see their brand new facility. First locking us in small rooms and making us watch videos then slowly taking us from room to room and explaining what the signifigance of each room had. All i can say is WOW that is wierd!!! They baptise their dead in this giant bath on the back of 6 golden cows! And don´t even get me started on the Celestial room!

I was lucky enough to visit a small carnival in panama city as well with local music and some bright costumes and of course lots of food! I convinced my panamanian friend Raffi to venture deep into the jungle on the carribean side of the country to visit with the Kuna people here. We had to leave at 5am in the morning from the Hostel, 2 other girls from Ireland joined us. The ride took us 4 hrs and was beyond bumpy. I suffered a semi black eye and severe back pain from laying on the floor and bumping around into people like a butterfly in a hurricane. The Kuna people were straight forward they took us to our very own island where we were served lunch and i snorkelled in the most elaborate coral reef i have ever laid eyes on. Lobsters, squid, jelly fish, urchins, sting rays, Dolphins all came over to greet me , at this point i didn´t care if had drown my fever ridden body i was in heaven.! The Kuna people served us whole lobsters and fish for dinner, gross i know. We slept in traditional huts thatched from palm husk and leaves.

The last week in Panama i just went to the movies with friends, and mosied around the American made Causeway and ohh yeah visited the panama canal what a bore. There were no animals!

I took the over night bus to san jose from panama city with Katie a friend i had met with the Kuna people on the islands of San Blas. We sat in that bus for over 20hrs! Ugh what a crazy ride! I now am awaiting for the arrival of my bestie Lyle who will fly in tonight for 5 days.

About seths-pad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.