Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Closed - Travel Photography Scholarship, 2007

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 5 April 2007 | Views [17296]

On assignment: Arnhem land, Australia

Applications close: June 30th 2007

The Photographic Assignment

Title: Cultural traditions of the Yolngu people, north-eastern Arnhem land.

Garma Festival 2006, AUSTRALIA

Garma Festival 2006, AUSTRALIA

 

© Mark Rogers 2006

 


For those students with a passionate interest in travel, culture and the visual arts, this is a unique and exciting opportunity to visit Aboriginal land for a privileged opportunity to document the rich Yolngu culture by going on assignment with renowned professional photographer Mark Rogers to the annual Garma festival.

This festival is on Aboriginal land with entry restricted by permits, organised for you by the Yothu Yindi Foundation. This Foundation retains copyright of all images, with written approval needed for any publication because of cultural reasons.

Mark's portraits and landscapes appear commercially and in galleries as well as film posters and stills on documentaries, features and indigenous films. Mark already has significant experience with photographing indigenous communities.

What you'll be doing

* We'll fly you in from anywhere in the world but obviously you have to be available to be in Australia between August 2nd and August 8th 2007.

* You get a day's tuition and instruction from Mark

* You sleep in tents or under the stars ...so be prepared.

* This is your opportunity to present your work to a wide global audience through a dedicated exhibition, and publication both online and off.

Who can apply

* To be eligible you have to be a student at a recognised educational institution.

* Minimum age 18

* You are a mad-keen photographer with a great eye so we assume you have your own gear.

Apply now in 4 easy steps

To ensure we choose the right candidate for this valuable opportunity we want you to:

1. Shoot a series of portraits of one or more strangers. Someone you don't know, but with courtesy and cultural sensitivity in mind. Have a shot or a sequence in mind that tells it's own story.

 

2. Upload your chosen best 5 portraits from this theme to Flickr and use the image captions to tell us about the strangers you photographed.

 

 

 

3. Tag your images with the keywords 'World Nomads' and add them to the 'World Nomads Scholarships' group. Only photographs in this group will be considered.

 

 

 

4. Complete the World Nomads 2007 Travel photography scholarship application no later than June 30th 2007.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-- this Scholarship has now closed --

 

 

Join the Scholarship mailing list

Join our mailing list and stay in touch with what's happening with World Nomad's Scholarship program.

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.