Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Travel Photography Scholarship to Antarctica from WorldNomads.com NOW CLOSED

ANTARCTICA | Monday, 6 July 2009 | Views [401599] | Comments [214]

 

 

 

GAP Adventures   

Join a National Geographic on-assignment photographer in Antarctica!

 

Applications Close: October 4, 2009 NOW CLOSED

 

 

 

WorldNomads.com, National Geographic Channel & Gap Adventures are giving one exceptional individual the chance to go on assignment with renowned wildlife photographer Jason Edwards to Antarctica!

The brief is to photograph the world's most remote wilderness aboard Gap Adventure's Antarctica Classic M/S Expedition, exploring the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula.

To help you take the best photos, the scholarship recipient will receive AU$2000 worth of Pentax photographic equipment of your choice.

Your best photos will be published on the National Geographic Channel's website where they will be viewed by thousands of travellers worldwide, offering you a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your foot in the door of one of the most revered exploration organisations in the world!

 

Highly regarded for his wildlife and remote landscape photography, Jason Edwards is represented by National Geographic Image Collection.

 

Your Assignment Brief

* We'll fly you in from your country of residence to Ushuaia, Argentina where you will board the M/S Expedition on an 11 day assignment. You'll need to be available to be in Antarctica between November 22 - December 2, 2009.

* On the Expedition, you will work alongside Jason Edwards photographing some of the planet's most impressive wildlife including Minke & Humpback Whales, Leopard Seals, Penguins, Albatross and dramatic iceberg landscapes. You willgain invaluable mentoring and hands-on experience in everything from shot set up, technique and composition through to insights into his many years of diverse experience as an award winning photographer.

* Your assignment will involve observing and assisting Jason as well as undertaking your own photographic work. This will involve long days chasing the perfect shot!

* You will keep a daily diary about your time on the trip and upload this to a WorldNomads.com travel journal, including pictures you've taken.

* On your return you will submit your top photographs to National Geographic Channel for publication on www.natgeotv.com.au.

* Most of all, you'll be experiencing what it's like to be a photographer-on assignment with National Geographic!

 

 

Who can apply

* Anyone can apply - this is open to photography students, lovers of photography or any non-professional trying to kickstart a career in travel photography.

* Minimum age 18.

* This is a global opportunity - you may apply from any country.

* You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, ambition to grow your photographic skills and forge a career in Travel Photography, and of course a desire to travel to Antarctica.

*Remember this is a scholarship, a learning experience, and therefore will not be suitable for professional or Semi-professional photographers.

Apply now

If you want it, you've got to show it. To apply you need to:

1. Shoot a series of photos (maximum of 5) that tell a story about a place you have visited. The judges will be looking for:

* originality
* ability to convey a story through photos
* excellent technique

Read the guidelines about making digital adjustments.

Read about Jason's judging process for the 2008 Scholarship.

2. Upload your photos (maximum of 5) from this theme to Flickr and;

a. Use the image captions to tell us about the place you photographed.
b. Numerically number your photos in the title if you wish them to be considered in a particular order.
c. Please do not use any Flickr tools that highlight certain parts of your photos as this only hampers the judging process.
d. Add the images to the World Nomads Scholarship Group. Only photographs in this group will be considered.

3. Complete an entry form which includes a 300 word (max) essay on why you should be chosen and copy and paste the links to your photo series. Your written response will have significant weighting in the judging process, so think carefully about why you should be chosen. Remember this is a learning opportunity, not a junket for professional photographers.

5. The recipient of the Scholarship, along with the best entries will be published on WorldNomads.com on October 23, 2009.

See our 2008 winner's photos featured on National Geographic Channel

Check out our finalists and shortlist from 2008 along with judge's comments.

Applications close:
Midnight, October 4, 2009 (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

DOWNLOAD A SCHOLARSHIP POSTER TO PUT UP AT YOUR SCHOOL/COLLEGE;

A4 SIZE

A3 SIZE

US LETTER SIZE


Conditions of Entry

1. Information on the scholarship prize and how to enter forms part of these conditions of entry. By applying for this scholarship you agree to be bound by these conditions of entry and all decisions of the scholarship promoter (World Nomads) which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. The scholarship and these conditions of entry are void where prohibited by law. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the World Nomads website at www.worldnomads.com.

2. The promoter is World Nomads Pty Limited of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000.

3. Employees of World Nomads, National Geographic Channel, Gap Adventures, Pentax, Michaels and their subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and members of their immediate families or households, are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.

4. Entry is free. No purchase necessary. You must be older than 18 to enter and you must also have a valid passport and be available to be in Antarctica from November 22- December 2, 2009. To enter you must shoot a series of photos which tell a story about a place you have visited, upload your photos (maximum of 5) to www.flickr.com and add them to the World Nomads Scholarship Group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/worldnomadsscholarship09/). Only photographs in this group will be considered. You must also complete an entry form which includes a 300 word (or less) essay on why you should be chosen and copy and paste the links to your photo series.

5.Should your portfolio reach the final round of judging you must supply the following upon request, for comparison with your competition entry:
- RAW file (e.g. *.NEF, *.CR2, *.CRW etc), or original JPEG as captured by the camera. DNG files are only permitted if DNG is the native RAW format of the camera.
- The largest file (preferably TIF), to check that it is an adequate file size for reproduction.
- Or original transparency or black and white negative.
- All finalists will be required to provide full picture information, along with when and how the picture was taken. Technical details are also required (i.e. camera, lens, exposure, speed, and other equipment used).


6.The scholarship entries can be submitted from 9.00am AEST on July 5, 2009 and entries close at 11.59m (Australian Eastern Standard Time) on 4 October 2009. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by World Nomads and World Nomads records are conclusive as to the time of receipt. All dates are subject to change if necessary in World Nomads discretion.

7. The Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of three judges including one independent judge, determining the best overall entry from a review of all eligible entries. The best overall entry is deemed to be the one that demonstrates excellent technique and best depicts a story about "a place you have visited" and articulates why the applicant should be awarded the 2009 World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship. The selection will be conducted at World Nomads Pty Limited of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000 on October 5, 2009. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute. Chance plays no part in determining the successful scholarship recipient. The successful applicant will receive the following;

* 1 x return economy airfare to Ushuaia, Argentina from nearest major international airport organised by World Nomads.
*9 x nights aboard the M/S Expedition including all meals.
*Scheduled visits to modern scientific research station, all shore expeditions and zodiac cruises.
*1 x nights accommodation in Ushuaia.
* Pentax photographic equipment of your choice selected from www.pentax.com.au a to the value of AU$2000 and subject to availability.
* Columbia will be providing a full outfit including boots, parka, pants, hat and gloves designed for Antarctic conditions (US$780)
* Travel Insurance
* Mentorship from Jason Edwards

8. The scholarship recipient must submit a disk of their top photographs from the assignment to World Nomads and the National Geographic Channel no later than 1 month after returning from the trip. The scholarship recipient must also agree not to promote, sell or offer their assignment photographs to any other National Geographic body other than the National Geographic Channel.

9. The scholarship recipient must also keep a daily travel diary and upload diary entries (no less than 200 words per daily entry) to their World Nomads Journal, no later than 2 weeks after returning from the trip.

10. The Scholarship recipient will be notified by email and the recipient's name will be published on the World Nomads website within 14 days after selection.

11. If the Scholarship recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable World Nomads will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the Scholarship recipient. If the Scholarship recipient has not accepted the scholarship by 19 October 2009, the next best entry will be selected as scholarship recipient.

12. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail or any errors or failures in internet or other communications. World Nomads reserves the right to cancel or modify the scholarship promotion if, in its sole discretion, the administration of the scholarship promotion is impaired for technical or other reasons beyond its reasonable control and, in such an event, may select the Scholarship recipient from all valid entries received prior to the impairment.

13. Scholarship prize consists of:

* 1 x return economy airfare to Ushuaia, Argentina from nearest major international airport organised by World Nomads. (approx AU$3,000)
*9 x nights aboard the M/S Expedition including all meals.Scheduled visits to modern scientific research station, all shore expeditions and zodiac cruises plus 1 x nights accommodation in Ushuaia. (Approx Au$4310)
* Pentax photographic equipment of your choice selected from www.pentax.com.au and subject to availability. (AU$2000)

* Columbia will be providing a full outfit including boots, parka, pants, hat and gloves designed for Antarctic conditions (US$780)
* Travel Insurance (Approx $AU300)

Total prize value of scholarship is approximately AUD$10,610

14. The value of the prize is accurate at the date of commencement of the scholarship promotion. World Nomads accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize after that date. The prize cannot be refunded, transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash. World Nomads reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the prize with cash or a prize of comparable value if the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.

15. The scholarship recipient will be responsible for all personal expenses and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with the prize that are not included in the prize description. The scholarship recipients are also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections.

16. The scholarship recipient must hold valid passports. Entry visas, if applicable will be organised prior to departure.

17. The scholarship recipient agrees that acceptance of the prize by the scholarship recipient is conditional upon compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and upon the scholarship recipient releasing World Nomads,National Geographic Channel, Gap Adventures, Pentax and Michaels and their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and agents, from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for any personal injury or other loss or damage (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) suffered in connection with the acceptance or use of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. World Nomads reserves the right to disqualify the scholarship recipient at its absolute discretion in the event of non-compliance or the failure to provide such releases.

18. As the author of your entry, you warrant that your photographs are original, your own work and have not been digitally manipulated in any way. Any photos deemed by the judges to be digitally manipulated will not be considered for the Scholarship.

19. It will be a condition of entry that both scholarship applicants and the scholarship recipient will grant a non-exclusive copyright license to World Nomads, National Geographic Channel, Gap Adventures, Pentax and Michaels to reproduce the work for subsequent promotion of the Scholarship Program.


You can view World Nomads' privacy policy at http://www.worldnomads.com/privacy.aspx.

 

 

 

 

Comments

1

Love to take part in this amazing scholarship ....: )

  Gaurav Dhwaj Khadka Jul 7, 2009 7:58 PM

2

agree! this is amazing. im very excited.

  Handaru Aditomo Jul 8, 2009 3:18 PM

3

Yes.But only ONE will get it. :(

  laserboy Jul 9, 2009 1:30 AM

4

i'll pursue for this opportunity

  loyalakpa Jul 9, 2009 2:36 AM

5

Can you enter more than once?

  claire Jul 9, 2009 8:55 AM

6

Hi Claire,

No it is one entry per person.

Thanks,

Amanda Byrne
Global Programs Manager

  scholarships Jul 9, 2009 9:33 AM

7

Hi Amanda,
When the brief states "Photograph a place you have visited" is that allowed to be your home-town, or does it specifically have to be a place you have travelled to?
Thanks

  Gareth Jul 9, 2009 9:36 PM

8

It says that no digital manipulation is allowed - what does this mean? Converting from RAW to TIF is a form of digital manipulation - in camera application of noise reduction is a form of digital manipulation - correcting the white balance of the RAW file (in camera or on the computer) - or photoshopping out that annoying powerline in the background. Where do you draw the line?
Thanks.

  BT Jul 10, 2009 9:14 AM

9



Hi all,

Here are a few thoughts for our mentor and member of the judging panel Jason Edwards. Hope you find them useful;

Today the world is awash in imagery but there are fewer Photographers. Is the art of photography dying, quite possibly, and the root cause is the reliance on postproduction software to make poor images better. Our
scholarship provides a unique opportunity to learn the art of making a beautiful image in the field rather than in front of the computer. I am not interested in your skills with imaging software, in fact quite the
opposite.

We are looking for an individual with potential, and the greatest desire to listen and learn. I am working on this assignment and will need your assistance; this will take patience and focus. Remember that we analyse
every image in your submission, so read the Judging process and Conditions carefully. If one frame is weak then leave it out, you do not necessarily have to submit five images. In addition, the format of your entry does not matter, film, digital, and 35mm or medium format. However, if you are mixing formats ensure the images work together.

The theme of your story does not have to be wondrous or exotic, just a place you have visited (can be your home town). Look at your immediate life and be creative.

Good Luck!

Jason

  scholarships Jul 12, 2009 6:26 PM

10

Heyy, Im new to Flickr, where exactly do we find what it is we have to copy and paste, the "links to our photo series" ?

  Mollie Brown Jul 13, 2009 10:18 AM

11

Hi all,

We have just put up a new post which provides some guidelines in relation to making 'digital adjustments' to your photo submissions. I think you'll find it very useful; Useful Tips: On applying for the 2009 Travel Photography Scholarship

  scholarships Jul 13, 2009 3:20 PM

12

Hi Mollie,

Pasting a link is not a flickr specific thing, it just means copying and pasting the URL of your photos (the link in your address bar) into your application form.

Just another way to help us find your entry quickly.

  scholarships Jul 13, 2009 3:21 PM

13

Hi! I am melvin, from the Philippines. Can I submit a photo that is not edited? or can I submit a photo that is auto-edited using "microsft picture manager"? actually, I'm not used to it, and actually. I don't know how to use it.

I agree with the rules, because for me, photos that are edited in the computer is not that good to look at.. we are suppose to let the viewers see the reality, the true wonders, beauty and life of the subject. this is how we can show the world and our great talent. ",

vin

  melvin torres Jul 13, 2009 5:52 PM

14

Oh... I love this scholarship... I have to be here... it's adventure which I love and this is gonna full of learning experience which would be a great for me... ",

Mabuhay! Save Gaia! show the world your beauty and wonders!

  melvin torres Jul 13, 2009 5:58 PM

15

My friend Mark gave me the link to this site, and I have just few things to say, I'm going to work liek crazy just to have a chance at doing this! But so is everyone so I'm just gonna have to accept theres a hueg chance ii'm not gonna get =( but I still gonna give it a shot! I wish you best of luck Mark!

  daniel collins Jul 15, 2009 11:03 AM

16

Hi,

Does it have to be a photo taken now or are older photos ok?

Regards
Natasha

  Natasha Egan Jul 15, 2009 4:43 PM

17

Hi, *must* it be from "November 22 - December 2, 2009"?

  Nick Jul 15, 2009 5:00 PM

18

Hi all,

The photos don't have to be recent, there are no rules about this.

The dates are set, so yes the assignment will definitely take place from November 22- December 2, 2009.

  scholarships Jul 16, 2009 11:42 AM

19

Hello,

I was wondering when you say a photo essay of a place you visited can those photo essay be of the people living there, can there be portraits in the photo essay? I am more of a people photographer than anything else. And also a place you visited can be a tourist place in your own town too? It will be great if you could give more guidelines on what does a photo essay have to say in terms of subject.

Awaiting your revertal.

Thank you,

Riddhi Parekh

  Riddhi Parekh Jul 17, 2009 2:39 PM

20

Hi Folks,

In answer to the previous question yes it can be of the people, a place, the architecture, even the plants and animals living there, an event, maybe even relatives home. It's about telling a story and there are many ways to do this even with portraits. A finalist last year shot their essay on top of a dam wall!

Cheers

J

  scholarships Jul 17, 2009 3:48 PM

21

am a nigeria,and am willing to participate in the NATGEO forthcoming events,i have basic knowledge in photography,also i wish to apply for the scholarship,please give me more info,bye

  soyinka babatunde Jul 18, 2009 1:42 AM

22

هاي عمرو
انا معجب

  amr Jul 21, 2009 6:18 PM

23

What a HUGE opportunity!! This is the photography expedition of my dreams. This could be the defining factor on someones photography career to go to the next level. Just have to come up with something really special to stand out from the rest of the super talented amateur photographers. Good luck to everyone!

Jussi

  Jussi Kääriä Jul 21, 2009 8:19 PM

24

I am so all over this. What a great opportunity to experience all the world has to offer. How many people north of the Equator even dream about a photoshoot with a mentor in the Antarctic. Penquin poop be damned, this is for me.

  JRPMS Jul 22, 2009 5:11 AM

25

Je suis très content de ce que vous faites...

  El khen Mourad Jul 23, 2009 4:02 AM

26

very very huge opportunity to learn!

i'm a marine fisheries graduate and i have not been out in the sea for a long time. i love to travel aboard a ship. this is will be a real adventure. i'd love to be part of this.

  michelle ann Jul 23, 2009 1:21 PM

27

Wow, cool. I submitted the form. Hope will get it!

  TCW Jul 23, 2009 4:56 PM

28

Thank you Jason for this Opportunity that you have offered to the world,Through offering such opportunities in life for the youths,you give hope for tomorrow.Be Blessed Jason

  Charles Stewart Jul 23, 2009 10:09 PM

29

soo wonderful

  isaac boakye Jul 24, 2009 2:13 AM

30

Thank you so much for the good job you are doing and also to the efforts you are doing to educate the whole community in photography. May the Almighty God be seen through all your efforts of global education and informative documentaries that keep us glued learning, being entertained and being informed through your works.Kudos

  NAIGNE OCHIEL Jul 24, 2009 2:38 AM

31

sayang q hnya untukmu

  aldino iqbal Jul 24, 2009 5:21 AM

32

thanks a lot for giving a chance... to explore ,to learn and to learn more.hope will b among finalist..but wud u let me know that can the story consist of both black and white as well as colour(i mean 2 b/w, 3 colour)photographs...and also taken by both film and digital..


thanking you looking forward to your response

  RAJU BISWAS Jul 24, 2009 10:19 PM

33

POWERA ANI DOH! KUYAW DIAY NI NOH? MAHIMO TA OG MANINIYOT SA LAING DAKBAYAN SA ANTARTICA! UNTAG MAPILI TA SA PINAKA NINDOT NG MANINYOT SA?
ENGLISH:

ITS SO POWERFUL! AMAZING RACE? WE WILL BE A SCHOLAR OF ANTARTICA. I HOPE I WILL BE THE CHOICE OF THE ALBATROS,PENGUINS AND SEA LIONS.

  ANGELO ONGCHUA Jul 24, 2009 11:29 PM

34

Thank you NAT GEO for this extraordinary Learning opportunity.I do hope I'm the lucky guy.

  Ferdie Paablo Jul 27, 2009 2:34 AM

35

Hi, does my having been to Antarctica already affect my eligibility/application? I'm wondering how the judges will weigh photographic ability against having the chance to go somewhere amazing more, because surely the last is a factor?

  LP Jul 28, 2009 1:33 AM

36

Hello, my name is Mariana Pascual and I have an ethical doubt concerning the characteristics of those that can apply for the Scholarship this year. Supposedly, this is open “to photography students, lovers of photography or any non-professional”. But at the same time, it appears to be another condition: “Remember this is a scholarship, a learning experience, and therefore will not be suitable for professional or Semi-professional photographers”.
I’ve been studying photography for 2 years, but never practiced it as a profession. Does that make me a semi-professional photographer? What are the characteristics under which you are considering that an individual’s images are professional, semi-professional or worthy to apply for the scholarship?

I will be thankful if you can answer my question so I can start submitting my application to your unprecedented and wonderful opportunity before I run out of time!

  Mariana Pascual Jul 28, 2009 2:12 PM

37

oh!what an opportunity ,i love photography it a passion for mi its all about what the eye cathes no matter the form ,am actualy traning myself how to go about it and from other photographers photos but i know i can do it much better cause its a talent when i link up with proffesionals, am from kenya and i want to make it a career so if i can grip this chance it will be a sky opener in my life and photographers fraternity.

  james kangethe Jul 28, 2009 7:34 PM

38

Can Central America be considered as the "place" I visited because I did that trip in one leg?

  Sandra White Jul 29, 2009 11:47 PM

39

Hi all,

Don't forget to read Jason Edwards' 'tips on applying' http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/33370.aspx which addresses a lot of your questions.

1. 'Place' can be absolutely anywhere.....your local park or yes Central America.

2. Professional or semi-professional photographers refers to those people making a living from photography....you are already on your way and will probably not be the most ideal person to benefit from this learning opportunity. As a guide we suggest if you are making more than 25% of your income from photography - you are considered semi-professional.

3. If you have travelled to Antarctica - this will not preclude you from the competition. We do not ask you where you have traveled.

4. There are no restrictions on whether the photos are B&W or colour or digital or film.

Look forward to seeing all yoru entries!

Cheers,
Amanda Byrne
Global Programs Manager

  scholarships Jul 30, 2009 9:51 AM

40

Hello Amanda,

I have been looking throuhg the entries already submitted in the World Nomads Scholarship Group in Flickr and I noticed that some participants have sumbitted a series of photographs that are not particularly correlated. So my quesiton is whether the ability to tell a story is going to be judged my the sequence of photographs all together or in each individual photograph?

Looking forward to your response!

  Maria Esthela Garcia Letona Jul 31, 2009 3:21 AM

41

I wanna ask sumthing: Should I tahe the pic using SLR camera? What about using ordinary digicam?

I have knowledge on SLR but doesn't have it on my own. I only have digicam...

  Mita Aug 1, 2009 5:18 PM

42

Its an great opportunity to share lots of cultures with all the words best persons in the this competition...

  Usman Javaid Aug 1, 2009 9:13 PM

43

After reading your guidelines for digital adustments, I have one question: are we allowed to turn colour photos into black/white photos in post-processing? Or is this considered too much of an adjustment?

I ask because sometimes we see a great moment, especially when doing street photography, that would be perfect in black and white instead of color, but to fiddle with the buttons on the camera to shoot in B/W would waste another few seconds that could possibly cost us that moment we want to capture.

  DT Aug 2, 2009 3:37 AM

44

Hello ive just stumbled upon this. In terms of the "semi-professional", I do have my own website, and I have made no proper income from my love of photography, its just an odd job once in a blue moon, or mainly voluntary just for the love of photography.....DO I QAULIFY to submit some works?

  VL Aug 3, 2009 7:48 AM

45

Hi Folks,

In relation to the recent queries:

-all images in your entries will be judged together, and especially whether they tell a story as a collection. However they will also be judged individually because the images and the story are NOT mutually exclusive, one cannot exist without the other. A bad picture will let your story down.

-digicam is not appropriate for this competition as the format allows the photographer to capture far more frames than normal camera formats. We are looking for someone that sees and captures, the moment.

-the purest in me would say that only black and white film is truly black and white! However the conversion of a colour digital file to black and white is acceptable. Keep in mind that excessive dodging and burning in black and white will be judged harshly.

Also, and jumping into mentor mode for a minute, try and evaluate your scene before the crucial moment arises, judging whether it is best captured in colour or black and white. Even if you capture the image in colour with the intent to convert the file, you may expose it differently knowing the contrast ranges of black and white.

-VL yes you would qualify as long as your photography does not account for more than 25% of your income.

On that note, many students are already practicing photographers that generate a substantial part of their income from photography. Making in excess of 25% of your income from photography precludes you from the scholarship whether you are a student or not.

Also, please do not feel you must be a digital photographer to enter. Last years recipient shot his story on film and much of his assignment with me also on film because he knew that format best and was comfortable using it in the field. Focus on your strengths!

Best

Jason

  scholarships Aug 3, 2009 3:20 PM

46

Wow!!! what an exciting adventure!! i hope i'm the one... if God's will... More Power!

  kevin Lagrada Aug 3, 2009 3:45 PM

47

Wow,it is an exiting opportunity to visit the remote ends of the world and display its features to the world.
Qn, can i send mixed photos, for-example- people in a trading center,animals in the game park, people walking through the jangle in Africa? Kiryowa Ronald- Kampala Uganda, East Africa

  Kiryowa Ronald Aug 4, 2009 7:30 AM

48

Hi
I am from Delhi India. Iwant to know if the set of photogprahs submited shold collectively tell a story or we should have each photogrpahe depicting a story.

To make it more clear can I submit a picture of a Coral along with a coloured crab, and a picture of the frozen river Zanskar and similarly three oter pictures of other places which I have visited.

Or do I have to stick to all 5 or less photographs from one area only - for example - he frozen river Zanskar
thanks

  Pradeep Chamaria Aug 4, 2009 5:12 PM

49

do you accept lomographic shots (ex. cross-processed, fisheye)

  jane Aug 4, 2009 5:52 PM

50

I think I have some photos to submit....how old or recent do the actual images have to be?

  VL Aug 5, 2009 12:38 AM

51

Hi Amanda,
What if you make your living shooting baby portraits + weddings but started out in photography dreaming of being a travel photographer but have never had the opportunity?
Does this exclude you from applying?
Thanks!

  K.A. Aug 5, 2009 4:47 AM

52

Hi Again,

The images must be from a place you have visited and this could be as large as a country or as small as a corner store. Just remember that ALL of the images must work together to tell the story, and each image must ALSO tell a story. It will not work if you have images from three countries as that constitutes three 'places'.

If the images were actually shot on film and cross-processed at the time of development then that is fine. Manipulating a digital file to appear cross-processed is NOT fine. And before the digital shooters complain the reason is because you have to expose film a particular way in order to obtain good cross-processed images, and this forms part of your photographic intent. In addition, once you have developed film in this manner there is no going back.

Fisheye is fine as are all film formats and digital camera formats eg 35mm, medium format etc. Go with your strengths.

There is no age restriction on the images.

Dear K.A. unfortunately if more than 25% of your income comes from these photographic mediums then you would be ineligible. We have this as a guideline to allow non-professionals a chance to compete on an equal platform.

Best Wishes

Jason

  scholarships Aug 5, 2009 2:18 PM

53

I have a question in regards to "excessive cropping". I have a DSLR and use that, but my first camera was a 2 1/4 and so my mind often composes with this square format in mind. If I have a shot that I have cropped to be square, would this qualify as "excessive cropping"?

  Cindy Aug 10, 2009 7:32 PM

54

I almost yelled out in the street when the email came in about this year's destination. It's a dream, even a passionate desire of mine, to photograph the southern continent. I'll give this my best shot, maybe I'm good enough!

Thanks for the opportunity to even be considered for this!

-Brendan Henry

  Brendan Henry Aug 11, 2009 8:46 PM

55

I'm glad to see the photos here and know the scholarship. Congratulation to the winner. Is the scholarship still open this month until October, 2009 or not?

I'd also like to ask, is a simple digital camera will do to qualify for this scholarship? or I really need to have a dslr camera to shoot? What are the minimum and maximum resolutions of each images?

Hope to have an answer from you Worldnomads.com. I will look forward. Thanks a lot.

  Ada Aug 13, 2009 2:45 PM

56

Hello, where can I get a copy of the application form that includes the essay?

  Joseph Aug 15, 2009 3:11 PM

57

its people in asia like me from indonesia can't apply??

  hindrawan Aug 17, 2009 2:54 AM

58

Hello,

Please excuse me if I posted this twice; my original post didn't appear to go through.

My question is in regards to the colour space - my photos are is sRBG, because I use a corel program to clean them up a bit, not adobe. Is this acceptable?

Thank you!
Kate

  Kate Aug 17, 2009 7:55 PM

59

Hi,
I would like to enter this competition and was just wondering if the photos we submit all need to be from the same place, or if it's ok that they're not, as long as they all tell a story? Could you please email me your answer?
Thanks!
Margaux

  Margaux Smale Aug 17, 2009 11:41 PM

60

hola,

I'm asking a question that may have been asked before. I just finished riding a motorbike from Australia to India over 1.5years. I would like to submit my photo story on this whole trip which encompasses 20 countries as its still a journey. does this fit with the competition criteria? or should i stick to the scope of a single country?

  Andrew McLagan Aug 18, 2009 3:55 AM

61

Very very good thancks

  Ali Aug 18, 2009 5:31 PM

62

I like to be your scholarship person

  Emmanuel Sohrab Aug 19, 2009 10:12 AM

63

This is an amazing opportunity! Even appying for this scholarship makes me so excited! I am really looking forward to getting it.

  Lan Aug 20, 2009 5:19 AM

64

Hello!

First, its my pleasure to inform you that I am thankful and grateful for this tremendous opportunity you are providing. This is among those which make our world great and enjoyable.

Before I participate in this scholarship, I want you to clear up my confusion;

1. You have said that "Shoot a series of photos (maximum of 5) that tell a story about a place you have visited." Does this mean I am expected to shoot five pictures at a SINGLE place? or Does this mean I am expected to shoot all the pictures at DIFFERENT places?

Thank you very much for your time to answer my question. I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Sincerely,

  Bereket Gezahegn Aug 21, 2009 3:52 AM

65

yeah!i would like to have the scholarship,but i'm still 15 so i need to wait for about 3 years, till then i could join.
and also only 1 can have the scholarship. so, good luck to all!

  vivon Aug 22, 2009 6:18 PM

66

Hi all,

I am re-pasting Jason's Edwards response (comment 54) to the questions about what constitutes a place.

Please make sure you read all the comments in this thread as many of your questions have already been answered:

Hi Again,

The images must be from a place you have visited and this could be as large as a country or as small as a corner store. Just remember that ALL of the images must work together to tell the story, and each image must ALSO tell a story. It will not work if you have images from three countries as that constitutes three 'places'.

If the images were actually shot on film and cross-processed at the time of development then that is fine. Manipulating a digital file to appear cross-processed is NOT fine. And before the digital shooters complain the reason is because you have to expose film a particular way in order to obtain good cross-processed images, and this forms part of your photographic intent. In addition, once you have developed film in this manner there is no going back.

Fisheye is fine as are all film formats and digital camera formats eg 35mm, medium format etc. Go with your strengths.

There is no age restriction on the images.

Dear K.A. unfortunately if more than 25% of your income comes from these photographic mediums then you would be ineligible. We have this as a guideline to allow non-professionals a chance to compete on an equal platform.

Best Wishes

Jason

  scholarships Aug 24, 2009 9:33 AM

67

nice

  naaz photographer Aug 25, 2009 5:12 AM

68

It is my plasure to join you Iam photograper in pakistan and i will jion the scholarship cant you give me this scholarship Ok

  Asim mirza Aug 25, 2009 12:20 PM

69

Hi Everyone,

In answer to several recent queries:

-Cindy, yes you can crop to a square HOWEVER I would suggest you use the complete height of the frame (in landscape) or the complete width of the frame (in portrait), as your minimum crop length. In that way you will not be cropping much from the frame. Also if your mind thinks that way then don't give up on this format just for the ease of digital, you may find your photography suffers.

-you do not have to have a DSLR but you still need to meet the resolution requirements set for your online entry. The winner will receive DSLR equipment to take into the field.

-there are no restrictions on your country of residence, anyone can enter.

-Kate, sRGB is ok but Adobe 98 is better. I do not use Corel so I'm uncertain if it has Adobe 98 sorry. If it does then save your images in this colour space but be sure to check that they still appear how you want them to. If not I would suggest you take the files to a friend that might be able to convert them for you. SRGB might appear over-saturated or too contrasted on our system so we specified Adobe 98 to ensure everyone was on the same platform.

-Andrew, you could use images from the entire trip but be aware that they will need to work TOGETHER as a story. It might be a little more difficult but it's definitely possible!

Cheers

Jason

  scholarships Aug 25, 2009 5:00 PM

70

Ok,

Amanda has re-posted one of my explanations about a 'place' and 'telling a story' above. There are also other comments I have made in the posts and also comments in 'Some thoughts from Jason' in the lower part of the guidelines link eg "The theme of your story does not have to be wondrous or exotic, just a place you have visited. Look at your immediate life and be creative."

Everyone dreams of becoming an assignment photographer but as you are all learning it's not easy, and telling a story is DEFINITELY NOT EASY. However I think we have been very clear on what we are after:

-a place can be anywhere, local or exotic, look at last years finalists.

-every image counts and will be judged

-every image must tell a story by itself

-every image must work in conjunction with every other image, 5 great pictures that don't tell a story will not make the final rounds!

-we are looking for a story AND a sense of place. I want to know that you experienced the 'place' enough to tell a story about it.

And please remember this IS A SCHOLARSHIP, a learning experience, so you do not have to be an expert at this but you do need to show you have the potential to gain something from the assignment AND be able to assist me in completing my work!

Best

Jason

  scholarships Aug 25, 2009 5:14 PM

71

What a fantastic opportunity! Competing with all of you from around the world will be just as much fun as going on this scholarship, I think! Good luck everyone.

  Tomek Aug 26, 2009 5:25 PM

72

Can photos be changed in Photoshop?

  Edita Aug 26, 2009 5:27 PM

73

What a great opportunity, I can't wait to start working on my submission.

  reuben199 Aug 28, 2009 5:44 PM

74

Am a photojournalist. Can I participate? I have not explored Travel Photography and I believe this will afford me opportunity to learn and explore a new area of Photography.

  Kunle Ajayi Aug 29, 2009 3:32 AM

75

Wow! This is big; really big…still I really don’t know… it would be amazing to have such an opportunity especially with my newly found appreciation for photography, but…wow!!!! I’m guessing that if I write something here I would have no choice but to at least to give it a shot…wish me luck :)

  Joel Aug 29, 2009 11:03 AM

76

This is a great opportunity, I wish I could make it...

  mike garcia Aug 29, 2009 7:51 PM

77

i want to join u ..........

  Qaiser Aug 29, 2009 8:12 PM

78

Thanks for this opportunity.I just want to know,how will i send film based pictures to this scholarship.If it would be digital then it will become easier but i have slr camera.And is it necessary that this five pics should be of same theme and together will have to say a story?

  Munmun Debnath Aug 29, 2009 11:18 PM

79

Looks like I made a boo-boo on my entry they are SRGB colour space, not Adobe as you asked for...
The links will change if I repost the pictures re-done - so can I re-enter or did I blow it (?)
Thanks!

  Dave H Aug 31, 2009 1:03 PM

80

Hi,
Can I use photos taken over a period of time (say 1 year) - especially if I post something about my hometown (and hence the definition of a trip would be "the time for which I have lived here") ?

Thanks.

  Sriram Aug 31, 2009 6:32 PM

81

Hi Again,

-Edita see our editing guidelines for what is allowed in Photoshop.

-Kunle, if more than 25% of your income is related to photography you are NOT eligible to enter, sorry.

-Joel, Good Luck!

-Munmun, film is fine but you would need to have your pictures scanned so the digital files can be loaded online. Many people shoot film, and I love film, but we need to have all the entries in the one location. Please try and scan your entries if you wish to be considered. See my last post re the story.

-Dave, not sure on that one... I will drop Amanda a line as she is more clever than I with such things. Look for a further post.

-Sriram, That is fine there is no time limit on the images.

Cheers

Jason

  scholarships Sep 1, 2009 12:11 AM

82

What a fantastic opportunity!!! Antarctica ahhhhhh Antarctica!

  Natalie Lucier Sep 3, 2009 12:00 AM

83

Wow, this is a fantastic opportunity to learn, explore and get published!

Although the competition is going to be fierce. I hardly feel i have a chance, but I'm still going to go out and try much luck.

Good luck to everyone else.

  Royd Tauro Sep 3, 2009 2:22 PM

84

Hello I am just wondering if there is any way I can fix a mistake made after I had entered my photos? I have a 300 word essay for you but did not know where exactly to attach it? I was a little confused with instructions for the request of the essay. Is there any way I could still present it to you? I would really like to have that opportunity as it will give anyone looking at my photography an honest answer to where i am wanting to go in the future.
Thankyou

  Tameika Sep 3, 2009 10:47 PM

85

hay sava THANK you it is nice the photos

  amira Sep 7, 2009 5:10 AM

86

Hi Tameika,

You just need to click on the 'Apply Now' button in this post . They will take yo through to the application form where your copy in your written essay,

  scholarships Sep 7, 2009 11:22 AM

87

Hi,

What if the older photos you'd like to submit weren't taken in RAW, but JPG is that ok? I can convert to tif no problem... The photo story I'd like to submit was taken before I started using RAW format...

Many thanks for this amazing opportunity to try for!

  lani Sep 8, 2009 1:24 AM

88

Thankyou for your quick reply.
I just hope because I had to submit again it will not affect judging!
Cheers
Tameika

  Tameika Sep 8, 2009 2:40 PM

89

Hi,

I want to get more information about the croping. What is mild croping for you? Can I do panoramic croping to an image? I have some images that are cropped just from bottom and some of them from bottom and top. Is this allowable?

Can't wait for you responce!

Good luck to everyone!

Kristijonas

  Kristijonas Sep 8, 2009 7:33 PM

90

Sorry for second comment. I just want to be clear. I want to upload shots with panoramic crop. That means at the very worst I am cropping just two sides of the picture, no more... Is this mild cropping? It's probably the same situation as somebody wants to do square shots.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Best wishes to everyone,
Kristijonas

  Kristijonas Sep 8, 2009 9:07 PM

91

Hi Amanda and Jason..
I am just a photography enthusiast .This is a question again regarding the grey area of digital adjustments.This might seem a little naive,but I am not taking any chances.
1) Are In-Camera digital adjustment ( especially Active D Lighting feature in Nikon ), allowed after the shot is taken. Nikon Guide says that Active D lighting has same effect,if you turn it on after or before the shot.
--- The reason is that suppose I had a bright cloudy day at the scene of the shot. If i expose for the clouds the ground scene gets underexposed , and if i expose for the scene on ground , the clouds get heavily over exposed . Since Clouds add to the over all mood of the moment(Rain and evening hues ),so to "Faithfully represent the scene and the mood" , i expose for clouds.Now knowing my camera's dynamic range is not so high , I apply in-camera Active D-Lighting to the RAW file , so as to get the shot i am looking for. Is this use case Okay , or using the knowledge of camera dynamic range limitaion to make exposure decision will be considered a digital manipulation here ??
2) In the same use case as above, can we use fill light option(same as adjusting the levels in photoshop) in Adobe lightroom to the RAW file so that clouds and scene are somewhat faithfully represented the way they were there at the time of shot.
3) if the answer to 2) is yes , but if you insist only minor adjustments to the level can be made, What would we consider minor--( what number range -- in case the range of fill light option is from 0-100).
Thanking you in anticipation
Regards
Deepak

  Deepak Sep 9, 2009 8:47 AM

92

HI BROTHER AND SISTER

I HAVE JOINED IN THE NG CONTEST AND HOPE TO WIN.PLEASE PRAY FOR ME.IF I GET CHANCE ANYTIME IN 2009, I WILL DISTRIBUTE MONEY TO POOR PEOPLE............. FAKRUL
SYLHET,BANGLADESH

  FAKRUL ISLAM Sep 9, 2009 6:15 PM

93

I was reading that if one makes it to the final selection he/she may be asked to produce the original file to see how much editing was done. If I shoot a series in b&w film and edit in the darkroom how do I submit the negatives? Can we shoot in film?

Thanks

  Jesse Erasmus Sep 10, 2009 3:47 AM

94

is a goood trail an amatuer i have been looking 4 such 4 long time i love to see my self there.

  stephen kpanja Sep 10, 2009 4:17 AM

95

i have applied and m praying for the grand finale..i know it wil be a hard nut to crack coz many good photographers wil also be contesting. I m a novice in photography..but i m not letting myself down. Who knows i may be the choosen one to work under the renown wildlife photographer. Given a chance , i will hone my skills on photography and add colours to the world thru my works.

  vijay Sep 11, 2009 6:42 PM

96

i m very sad not to see my photos in the the World Nomads Scholarship Group...i hav tried to uploaded again but it syas that my photos are already in the group. why i am unable to see my uplaoded pic?? did i not uploaded it properly??

  vijay Sep 11, 2009 8:01 PM

97

hi
i am very much interested in this project......

but my query is that , i have experienced my last adventurous trip 02 years back , can i send the series of photographs from that lot or do i need to send the same, from a recent trip of mine......

thanks

  Sandeep mohit Sep 11, 2009 9:09 PM

98

Man, my browser wont even lemme click on the apply button, Can any one please help?

Thanks:)

Best Wishes,
Sana Shabbir

  Sana Shabbir Sep 13, 2009 3:15 AM

99

To whom it may concern,

I would like to ask about our own survival equipments whilst travelling to Antarctica. If we dont have sufficient warming apparel for the trip, will the organizers provide or afford for us?

I came from a tropical country, hence I dont possess such apparel that can make me survive in extreme cold.


Best regards,
Ivannanto
Indonesian (in Japan)

  Ivannanto Sep 14, 2009 12:59 AM

100

Hi,

I just want to enquire whether we need to take 5 shots of one location, like a beach or a concert, should it one occasion, or could it five different photos of different countries I have visited and captured my memories.:)

Thanking you in anticipation,
Sana Shabbir

  Sana Shabbir Sep 14, 2009 1:50 AM

101

First, thanks for this opportunity. I just found about about this two days ago, so time is short, but I'll work hard to make a good submission.

The Pentax equipment for 2000 Australian dollars, does it have to be all new equipment (a new set), or can it compliment equipment I already own? I have and use Pentax only, so that's why I ask :) I'm just curious, I know it's a long shot to win this for anyone.

  Alexander Evensen Sep 15, 2009 5:29 AM

102

This opportunity is so exciting, thank you. The thought of being a part of National Geographic for a short assignment has merely been a dream for me. Now it is so close.

  Emily Goodnight Sep 16, 2009 7:34 AM

103

Re: Q 79 above:

I am thinking you have enough to do with all these q's, but, I had entered my pics with sRGB encoding, the export I did was not quite right. They are not Adobe98 as you had specified. Since my entry has specific links, if I re-upload, the links change. Can I re-enter, deleting the original? Or leaving that as sRGB will they be disqualified outright?

Thanks!

Dave

  Dave Huntley Sep 16, 2009 9:31 AM

104

Hi all ,

Thanks for your questions. Can we please ask that you thoroughly read all the terms and conditions and all the previous comments before posting questions here, as you will find many of your questions are already answered.

A few more;

1. We are in discussions with a gear provider to kit out the winner for the Antarctic conditions. We will announce details shortly.

2. Part of the prize is pentax equipment of your choice to the value of AU$2000. So you can choose whatever you like to compliment/update what you already have. This doesn't mean you can't use your own equipment for the assignment.

4. Yes you can shoot in film. Please read all the T&C's, you may be asked to submit your negatives if shortlisted.

5. Please read Jason's Guidelines for digital adjustments and cropping;

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/33370.aspx\

6. Dave - will need to look into your question and come back to you.

  scholarships Sep 17, 2009 12:32 PM

105

i am a photographer but not a student then can i apply for this and what is flicker.and how can i apply my photos.

  irshad alam Sep 18, 2009 10:34 PM

106

I'm almost having the same problem like Dave, will wait for your responce..
Thanks!

  Eman Shokry Sep 19, 2009 3:58 AM

107

Jason and Amanda, just wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time and trouble to monitor the comments and answer all our questions, especially the repeats. :>
Here's hoping I'll get to meet the two of you in person soon. ;>

  Shiow Chin Sep 19, 2009 11:30 PM

108

In regards to sRGB and Adobe98 what exactly does that mean? The photos I plan to submit are taken straight from my camera in JPEG format onto my computer. Do I have to do anything to them before I submit them?

Thanks

David

  David Nicholson Sep 20, 2009 3:59 AM

109

Hi Jason and Amanda,

I already submitted my entry sometime August 2009. However, I don't feel satisfied with the photos I have submitted then. My question is, Can I still replace my 5 photo entries?

If not... it's fine with me.

Thank in advance

Ferdie

  Ferdie Pablo Sep 21, 2009 12:32 AM

110

Follow-up to my question (#109)

Each photos that i submitted tells a story however, the 5 photos does not work together to tell a story. Though my photos presents the cultures, traditions and Famous landmark of our country. Will that be okey?

I refer to Jason's reply # 66
"The images must be from a place you have visited and this could be as large as a country or as small as a corner store. Just remember that ALL of the images must work together to tell the story, and each image must ALSO tell a story. It will not work if you have images from three countries as that constitutes three 'places'."

Thank you

//Ferdie

  Ferdie Pablo Sep 21, 2009 12:51 AM

111

i always convert all my .pef files to dng and as a result practically all of my photography archive is in .dng format. i don't have original .pef files.

does this mean that these photos cannot be verified by you in case of being shortlisted? in that case that would limit my entry to my most recent photos (i haven't deleted the originals yet).

is it really necessary to have such a limitation? is it to prevent image manipulation or is there another reason?

thank you for your response

  lukasz kruk Sep 22, 2009 4:37 AM

112

Hi I am in the same boat as Deepa...I often (only a tiny bit) manipulate the images in cam. so that they fully represent what i see.
is this ok or not

  AQng Sep 23, 2009 4:26 AM

113

I am so excited! I would be so grateful to receive this opportunity to learn!! :)

  Katie Sep 24, 2009 3:54 AM

114

Hello, I am a student of photography. I do not earn any money through this. I recently joined a photography school and have been shooting since a year. Do i still get to participate since I believe as a student of photography this experience would be a big leap for me. Please reply asap.

Thanks,
Riki

  RIKI Sep 24, 2009 4:27 PM

115

Hi Jason & Amanda,

I just submitted my 5 photographs as per the process. However, I gave the url links to my pictures from my flickr account and then added to the World Nomads Scholarship group later. How can I edit the links if my application has already been submitted or would these link also be considered since I have added the pictures to the group anyways?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Vaibhav Mehta

  Vaibhav Mehta Sep 27, 2009 11:52 PM

116

Must the photographs be from the same visit to whatever place is chosen as a subject, or can it be from different times in the years?

  Alexander Evensen Sep 29, 2009 6:26 AM

117

Good morning.
I am a photographer.
How to injoy your www.
Thanks,
Ali hossain , Bangladesh.

  A.K.M. Ali hossain Sep 29, 2009 1:17 PM

118

I am professional photographer I live in Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA I studied photography New York and London. This Chance is wonder fuel time and plies reputation this scholar ship.

  Binyam Mengesha Oct 1, 2009 9:10 PM

119

hi
i've just realized i didn't provide address and country in my form. should i resubmit the whole form?

thanks

  lk Oct 2, 2009 2:25 AM

120

Hi Everyone,

The countdown is now on and entries close this coming Sunday October 4th so if you are planning on applying then do not delay!

For those of you who have questions unanswered please read the "Conditions of Entry" on this same web page, above this comments area. This should answer all outstanding questions raised.

All the best and good luck!

Tara

  scholarships Oct 2, 2009 12:32 PM

121

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for the delay in responding to your queries I have been in the field shooting crocodiles, grass fires and the like. Let's look at some of the queries:

#87 Iani: yes loading in jpeg is fine, it is only if you are a finalist and the untouched file is requested that a RAW would be required. In your case the untouched version of the jpeg would suffice.

#89 Kristijonas: panoramic cropping of a 35mm frame would be regarded as severe cropping. I am aware that this is very common these days but I must tell you, as someone that owns a panoramic camera, the differences between a crop and the original panoramic format are great. You would need to ensure the dimension matched those of a panoramic camera and more importantly that the original image that you captured screams panoramic! By that I mean that if I were to look at the original image I must see it composed as a panoramic, not just a 35mm cropped to look better. Beware, I would be very critical in my judging as most people just crop average pictures to make them look better, and I am about getting it right in the camera at the time.

#91 Deepak: you raise interesting points. The cloud scenario you describe is a very common one in photography. In the past some people solved this with graduated filters and others with better metering and bracketing. I myself prefer the latter rather than manipulating the raw in the body. Post production software does a better job than in body I feel. So in relation to fill in Lightroom I would say less than 20% is ok. If you have used this Nikon function already and you make the final rounds I will decide at the time if the treatment is extreme and accurate. My advice would be to experiment more with the metering and leave the RAW untouched.

#93 Jesse: yes film is fine.I would request a copy of the scans of the negs before you modified them. Yes they would look flat and lifeless but I could still ascertain what was captured at the time. So don't worry about that even untouched digital files can look the same.

#96 Vijay: did you solve this issue, can you see your images?

#97 Sandeep: no time limit ie any time is ok.

#98 Sana: did you solve this issue, can you see your images?

#99 Ivannanto: part of the prize is clothing suitable for Antarctic conditions so the winner will not freeze!

#100 Sana: please see my earlier postings re the story the images must tell.

#101 Alexander: the equipment will be new but don't worry as a Pentax user all previous lenses can be used on the digital systems, you are lucky! (provided they are not screw mounts).

#103 Dave: did you happen to solve this issue? I am working through the posts so you may have another further down. The last time i spoke with Nomads they were a little uncertain as to how to solve this issue so i have advised them you have tried to resolve this for some time. No you will not be disqualified it is more to have all images looking roughly the same. Do me a favour, create two copies of the images one sRGB and one Adobe 98 and look at them side-by-side on your monitor. Let me know if there is much difference or none at all. Sometimes there is a lot and sometimes not. Then i'll get back to you.

#105 irshad: if more than 25% of your income comes from photography then you would not be eligible to enter, sorry.

#106 Eman: please do the same as I have asked Dave ie two copies and check them, and let me know.

#107 Shiow: thanks!

#108 David: that is the colour space the image was captured in. I'm guessing as jpegs they might be sRGB so in Photoshop open the image and go to Edit-Color Settings-Working Spaces and change the first drop down window from sRGB to Adobe 1998. Save the pic and then see if you need to alter the colours again as sometimes this alters them.

#109 Ferdie: I am not very familiar with the Flickr platform but as the competition has not closed I think that should be fine, just be sure to save your changes if that is an option. Let us know if you have difficulties.

#110 Ferdie: if you note my post you will see that they MUST work together as well as individually. I'd edit them so that they did work together.

#111 lukasz: converting the PEF to DNG is not an issue as long as you can supply un-altered DNG's for review if requested. Every photographer should always keep an un-altered copy of their files somewhere, one of the benefits of Lightroom! It is not so much to prevent manipulation but for this scholarship we are interested in people's ability to capture the image in the camera and NOT their ability with software.

#112 AQng: please see my response to Deepa.

#114: Riki: yes you would still be eligible to enter as long as no more than 25% of your income comes from photography

#116 Alexander: same visit or not it doesn't matter jyst as long as they work together.

Cheers

Jason Edwards



  scholarships Oct 2, 2009 3:22 PM

122

Jason: Thank you for the replies :)

What I meant with all new equipment was if the winner already had a Pentax camera, could aditional stuff like only lenses be chosen, or will a camera have to be in the equipment that is chosen?

I assume that if the person already has Pentax-equipment and is fine with the camera it already has, e.g. only lenses could be chosen :)

Btw., I do have a two screw mount adapters for my K10D, an M42 and T-mount already. I need them for a couple of golden oldies :)

  Alexander Evensen Oct 2, 2009 4:27 PM

123

Hi Jason,

After I save my images to Flickr for a test they look very washed out. They look quite different than in my computers browser. I save in Adobe RGB and noticed that it looses vibrance. I do punch it before saving it as JPG, so I would get desired contrast. However, after uploading to Flickr they are still very washed out. I am afraid that boosting saturation, on your computer might look over saturated. Should I adjust my photos so that uploaded to flickr they would be what I want to see in my monitor?

Can't wait for you reply!

Sincerely,
Kristijonas

  Kristijonas Tumas Oct 2, 2009 4:58 PM

124

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for the replies.

Re:Reply on # 109, how can i retrieve my application, so that I can replace the URL address of my photo entries? Hope I still have time to replace my photo entries.

Cheers!

  Ferdie Pablo Oct 3, 2009 2:05 AM

125

Re: your answer to #108
Sorry to have made life difficult for you ! When i look at them side by side I see very little difference, they are perhaps a tad lighter, but that's about it. there is more of a difference between my laptop and my desktop lcd, the white has a slight bluish tinge to it, but the sky does look more real to my eye, so perhaps the Adobe98 is more clinically precise...hard choice.

I have no prob resubmitting them, but I don't want disqualified with a duplicate entry. Even if there's a record to say there's a dupe entry in Adobe98 - should it be picked as a finalist - you could always take the correct one! Better still, If I delete the sRGB Flikr submission, it will just look like an incomplete entry (?) there are many nice pics on here though.

Yes, sRGB is how my Mac keeps them. When you get a chance, just let me know, delete or re-sub or leave alone!

  Dave Huntley Oct 3, 2009 6:42 AM

126

Another quick question
I just put my photos up and filled all the information in on this website and Flickr, I wondering if we get a email that confirms our application has gone through?
Thanks

  David Nicholson Oct 3, 2009 7:27 AM

127

I keep getting an error message when attempting to add photos to the group.

error message is:
This item could not be added to the Worldnomads.com 2009 Travel Photography Scholarship group because it violates the pool rules

No where can I find the pool rules or anything that might give me a clue as to what rule I am violating.

I have completed and submitted my entry form. Will I still be eligible if I am unable to add the photos to the group?? The entry form has the URLs linking directly to the photos in my flickr account.

Thank you very much....Saasha

Please Help

  Saasha Colleen Shaama Oct 3, 2009 11:25 AM

128

Hi Jason,

Are there any privacy restrictions or recommended dimensions for uploading to Flickr? That is, can we make it so that people can't drag and save the photos, or will you guys need to be saving them from there? How large should they be?

Also, is watermarking allowed? Discouraged?

Thanks a lot.

  stephen Oct 3, 2009 1:34 PM

129

Dear Jason,

Thanks for the responds on the clothing for the Antarctic conditions.

Regarding the AU$2000 scholarship, is it only as a form of Pentax equipment, or it is possible to be a form of cash? In regards to this, if I am not using Pentax, is it still eligible to take part in this scholarship?


Best regards from Japan,

  Ivannanto Oct 3, 2009 1:36 PM

130

Hi Jason,

I just put 2 url of my photos in my application. Can I add one more url to it?

thanks

  Rihart Oct 3, 2009 1:43 PM

131

Hi Jason,

I just put 2 url of my photos in my application. Can I add one more url to it?

thanks

  Rihart Oct 3, 2009 2:14 PM

132

Hi
I had submitted the application.In one of the photograph(photo 5), I removed two very minute light spots,thinking them to be dust spots.But then i uploaded the SOOC shot of that very photograph,without any manipulation,and resubmitted the application 1 day later,keeping all the other photographs same.I have mentioned the same in my application form and to consider my latest submission for judging.I hope i did not violated any rule,since applications are still accepted , and i made a minor rectification to my submission. Is it ok.
2) This is regarding Adobe RGB(1998).I changed the color profile of my photographs in Nikon Capture NX2.But after doing that the EXIF data shows color space as uncaliberated.I searched over internet, and it is a known bug . But indeed the picture was profiled to AdobeRGB(1998). Just to be confident, i took the original tiff files to PhotoshopCS4 and saved them with color profile Adobe1998. Now it shows the ICC color profile as ADobe1998 in the EXIF data. I just wanted to bring this to your notice, and help anyone here who is facing such an issue( which is not really an issue actually)

Thanks and Regards
Anmol Bhalla

  Anmol Bhalla Oct 3, 2009 4:06 PM

133

Hi Jason,

I just put 2 url of my photos in my application. Can I add one more url to it?

thanks

  Rihart Oct 3, 2009 4:17 PM

134

I am sorry for multiple posting. My connection was drop every time I push the Post Button

  rihart Oct 3, 2009 5:13 PM

135


For long duration as i was out network .... this morning only i come to know about worldnomads.com 2009 Travel photography scholership. but i am very innocent about the uploding the photos... can you suggest me pleast.....


Saphikhu

  Mr. Saphikhu B. Kalai Oct 3, 2009 9:32 PM

136

Iwas # 127 and I got in!!!!!!! I changed my flags!!!!!YAHOOOOOOO!!!

  Saasha Colleen Shaama Oct 4, 2009 12:16 PM

137

Dear Amanda and Jason,

Please accept my second entry and not my first as i made the easy error of not submitting to the specific group before attaching my URL's and submitting my application. An easy mistake to make for someone who has never used flikr before. I assume that my first application will not be considered (as per the rules) as it is not in the flikr group.

Many thanks and best of luck for what is sure to be a tough decision process.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Hewitt

  Rebecca Hewitt UK Oct 4, 2009 12:58 PM

138

Hi Guys,

This is the last of the responses before entries close.
If you have any questions that remain unanswered please read through the "Conditions of Entry" and then read through this comments section as it is likely your question has already been asked.

#122
Yes Alexander. The lucky winner has a choice of Pentax equipment. So if you already have a camera then you are welcome to choose something else (eg a lense) from the catalogue.

#123
Kristijonas. Jason has specified that he doesn't want you to manipulate the images at all so please just upload the original files (without manipulation) and read through "Conditions of Entry" for more detail.

#124
Ferdi
Unless you can replace your images on Flickr (which I don’t think is possible and to have the same URL) then unfortunately we can't remove the application as they are downloaded at the close of the competition.

#125
Dave. I would say leave alone if they are looking similar.

#126
Dave. The best way to see if your submission was successful is to look at the URL links you submitted and if they are live then you are in!

#127
Saasha, in this instance your submission is still eligible. Please keep trying on the group upload though please.

#128
Stephen, Flickr have strict privacy restrictions please refer to those if you have any concerns. If you use watermarks then the judges will not be able to see your pictures so please avoid. Size wise the images should fit within the screen, compare with other submissions if you are not sure. The finalists will be asked for larger files for closer examination.

#129
Ivannanto, Unfortunately Pentax will not be offering cash instead of prize.

#131
Rikhart, you are welcome to upload up to 5 images.

#132
Anmol, strictly speaking you have manipulated the image so your work will be judged accordingly. Please read Conditions of Entry and Jason's responses to similar questions in the body of these comments.

#135 Saphikhu, just follow the guidelines above "Apply Now" and instructions on how to upload images on the Flickr web site www.flickr.com


Good luck everyone!

Tara Parsons
World Nomads






  scholarships Oct 4, 2009 1:22 PM

139

Thanks for your help Tara, Amanda & Jason!

  Dave Huntley Oct 4, 2009 2:53 PM

140

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Tara for following up on these queries I agree with all of your responses.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their entries and interest. It is a unique scholarship and I am certain the judging will be a difficult process. May I wish all of you good luck and inspiration for your image making in the future!

To the eventual winner please remember to bring lots of patience, a strong desire to learn, and muscles ready to help me with my gear!

Kindest Regards

Jason

  scholarships Oct 4, 2009 8:40 PM

141

Hi Tara

I have just realised that in my application I didn't load/add the url link to my images! I have tried to retrieve my application, but I have been advised that my application has been received - does this mean that it is complete?

Please advise.

Kind regards
Virginia

  Virginia Woolf Oct 4, 2009 9:14 PM

142

Amanda and Jason,

I have had a similar problem as Rebecca (#137) in that I didn't submit the photos to the specific Nomads group, so the URL's listed will access photos NOT in the Flickr group. As such, I have submitted a second application with the same photos but IN the Nomad group in the hope my first wont be considered as it is not in the correct group.

Thank you for your time and this opportunity!
Regards
Katrina Hodge


  Katrina Hodge Oct 4, 2009 9:29 PM

143

Hi Tara

Further to my message #141, I have re-tried to apply again but to no avail! Will you pleae accept the url codes for my images - they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43281738@N08/3979035211/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43281738@N08/3979032889/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43281738@N08/3979791128/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43281738@N08/3979028303/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43281738@N08/3979786852/

Thanks & Kind Regards
Virginia

  Virginia Woolf Oct 4, 2009 9:38 PM

144

Hi,

I uploaded my application a couple of days ago, and just realized flickr did not upload my images to the group pool! I was having trouble with it when I was uploading, and thought it got attached, but it wasn't. I just reposted them (not sure if it was after the deadline). I did have URL links on my application form for my pics from my flickr account though, so I hope that doesn't disqualify me....

Thanks for the opportunity to apply!

Good luck everyone, there are so many great pictures added to the group pool!

  NP Oct 5, 2009 3:04 PM

145

Hi Tara, I know the application pool is now closed but I have a question whether I'm qualified:

The situation is, I'd added my 5 photos to the World Nomads Scholarship Group. And in each of my photos page, it says: "This photo also belong to ....World Nomads Scholarship Group (Pool)". But I've just realize that my URLs seems different from most of the photos URLs in the group. They have something like: /in/pool-worldnomadsscholarship09 at the end of their URLs, which mine don't have. I really wonder if the URLs have to have that end. Or mine are fine since they still exist in the group.


Thank you very much.

  Hieu Oct 5, 2009 6:21 PM

146

Oh never mind #144, I figured out. Sorry if bothering you :)

  Hieu Oct 5, 2009 6:54 PM

147

I just want to say thanks to everyone involved with creating and carrying out this contest. As an amateur photographer, my shots have usually been very opportunistic.

Setting myself the assignment to create this 5 picture portfolio over the summer this year was a wonderful experience. It honed my eye for light and composition, challenged my technique to improve and got me out of bed before sunrise much more often than usual!

I doubt that I'll ever see the world in quite the same way after working on this assignment. Even in the unlikely event that I don't win (kidding), this was an incredible experience for me.

Thanks again and I'm already looking forward to next year's scholarship!

  RB Oct 5, 2009 9:38 PM

148

I just hope and pray to god that my entry is considered for judging.
I resubmitted my application like #137 ( Rebecca ) and #142 ( Katrina ).
I removed 2 seemingly dust spots in one of my pictures.To be on the safer side i just replaced that picture with the original one in second submission,keeping rest of application same. I hope they consider it . For like everyone else here I have spend nights reading learning and experimenting new things. The experience while preparing for this scholarship since last 3 months was exceptional and very unique.

Thanks Jason Amanda and Tara for providing such an invaluable opportunity.
I am praying to the god and keeping my fingers crossed.


It was a pleasure to get such an opportunity Most of us prepared gave our 100 percent

  Anmol Oct 6, 2009 4:23 AM

149

I am dieing inside. When and how do we find out who is honored with the opportunity of a life-time? Cheers to all, but I will be honest, I really, really want to be the one!!!

  Brianna Bangle Oct 7, 2009 11:40 AM

150

My query is same as #145. I have added my 5 photos to the World Nomads group. But while providing the URLs for the images, since it was only mentioned that we need to copy paste the flickr URLs, I have copy pasted the URL's to the images in my flickr account, which do not contain the words /in/pool-worldnomadsscholarship09 at the end. I hope it would not be a problem!
And thank you very much for organizing such a wonderful competition. The winner will have something worth remembering all her/his life!!!

Victor

  Victor Oct 7, 2009 1:39 PM

151

only one is going to win but i think everybody is a winner coz i m sure everybody like me must have learnt something while working for this scholarship.Clicking shots based on a theme was something new for me.

  Ajit Oct 8, 2009 12:51 AM

152

Can't wait to see who the lucky recipient will be. The anticipation is almost unbearable.

  Chris Oct 8, 2009 8:04 AM

153

I agree Chris, it's a hard wait :) I'm really excited to see who will be the winner..

  Alexander Evensen Oct 8, 2009 10:04 AM

154

Same as #149, 152 and 153, LOL. I can't wait to find out the results! :)

  Olya Oct 8, 2009 10:58 AM

155

Whoever the winner is, I love all of you guys :)
Cheers!

  Hieu Oct 8, 2009 3:34 PM

156

I think they should have sent the results to the winner already...It's not me:( congrats to the best one!!!

Anybody received the lucky e-mail?

  Ali Oct 9, 2009 1:13 AM

157

I am still holding on to hope. Mainly because I can't give up on the dream of going and learning. Having this amazing exposure to the elements of nature and photographic skill, I know would change my life and others that I know! What an amazing opportunity!

  Brianna Bangle Oct 9, 2009 2:01 PM

158

Well said, Brianna (157). It's the opportunity of a lifetime to get one-on-one learning from a pro and to get experience has the potential to set you apart from the rest. I don't think my photos would look the same after this trip. They'd look a million times better!

  Stephen Ironside Oct 11, 2009 2:33 AM

159

I'm not entirely sure the winner would have received notification just yet, I was thinking Monday at some point. Either way, I'm sure they're under an NDA until the official announcement is made anyway.

  Chris Oct 11, 2009 5:09 PM

160

Yes, but it says that the results will posted within 14 days after closing. It's been 7, and they have to contact the winner, have him/her send the CD and all info and then post winning photographs...

  Ali Oct 12, 2009 2:54 AM

161

Send a CD? Why wouldn't they just upload the photos somewhere?

  Chris Oct 12, 2009 3:01 AM

162

mmmm the anticipation. :p im seriously counting down the days. i went through the photo pool and OMG there are some pretty awsome pics. lets hope the judges choose the right one. good luck to all!!!

  jeanne lloyd Oct 13, 2009 6:32 PM

163

Well i did upload my pictures on flickr and world nomad group and my fingers are crossed. From what i have seen on flickr all the photos of other members are so good and they all seem professional, i don't think i stand a chance, but still you never know. the winner is supposed to be in formed by now...who is it then????
Waiting
Good luck to all

  Fatima Naqvi Oct 15, 2009 5:50 PM

164

Fatima Naqvi: How do you know that the winner is supposed to be informed by now?

  Alexander Evensen Oct 16, 2009 3:33 AM

165

Alexander
because it says in the conditions that" The selection will be conducted at World Nomads Pty Limited of Level 5, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000 on October 5, 2009."

10. The Scholarship recipient will be notified by email and the recipient's name will be published on the World Nomads website within 14 days after selection.

11. If the Scholarship recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable World Nomads will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the Scholarship recipient. If the Scholarship recipient has not accepted the scholarship by 19 October 2009, the next best entry will be selected as scholarship recipient.

So by now Alexander the winner is suppose to get the email and has to accept till 19 0ctober.
Good Luck!!

  Fatima Naqvi Oct 16, 2009 2:19 PM

166

Looks like winner would have been selected by now.Good luck to the winner. He/she must be getting ready for the trip. World Nomads could have published the top 20/10 entries (if already decided) to keep the tension down :-)

  Luck Oct 16, 2009 3:03 PM

167

Fatima:
I see now. I was just hoping it wasn't true :) Good luck to the winner and I hope the trip down south will be fantastic =)

I'm really looking forward to reading the diary of the trip and seeing the photographs.

Now I know about these scholarships and I can work more at the next one. I only learned about this one a few weeks before the whole thing was over. But I guess the trip won't go to Antarctica next year :/ Hiking through Asia is second on my list of most wanted trips, so hopefully that's next years prize :)

  Alexander Evensen Oct 16, 2009 4:44 PM

168

Yeah, we've only just begun. Keep it up you guys! :)

  Hieu Oct 16, 2009 6:30 PM

169

hey who is the winner its been 14 days and its 0ct19 and they are suppose to post the winner and runner ups name isnt it????

  Fatima Naqvi Oct 19, 2009 2:16 PM

170

From what I see on this site + photos being posted on the flickr group, I have a wild guess that ykumsri from Thailand has won it. ykumsri has uploaded few (and excellent) photos into World Nomads flickr on Oct 14 which is when the winner would have been contacted. We will know in 4 days if my guess is correct.

  Luck Oct 19, 2009 2:29 PM

171

Hi everyone,

A winner for the World Nomads 2009 Photography Scholarship is still undecided.

Our judges have been so overwhelmed by your response that we need a few more days to make the final selection.

We will send an email out directly to all applicants announcing the winner as soon as we can.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Tara Parsons
World Nomads

  scholarships Oct 19, 2009 8:53 PM

172

thanks for the update!

  lk Oct 20, 2009 4:41 AM

173

Hi Everyone!

I have just read all of your recent postings, they are great and yes it is very exciting! I was sitting here smiling as I don't even know who the winner is myself!! Apologies for the delay but here is a a little background on the judging.

After all entries are received and we confirm the entries are loaded correctly the judging process begins at National Geographic Channel, World Nomads and other locations. The finalists from these rounds of judging are then collated for overlaps and a Finalist list compiled.

This list is then sent to me to judge and select the final candidate. I rely on the other judges to assess the overall entries so that I am fair and fresh with every entry I eventually judge. Having a variety of people review entries also creates a mixed set of results which is great.

After I receive the list I have my assistant download all of the images and place them in folders without names attached. I then judge each of the entries not knowing who shot them, where they live, whether they are male or female, even their age. I do not allow myself to be influenced by anything other than the images.

I rate each of the judging criteria out of 5 and log them into a spread sheet. Each finalist is assigned a number, last year there were about 10, this year I accepted 32 as there were so many strong entries! After i have completed the image judging I assess the written components and assign scores out of 5, to two additional criteria.

Only then do I create a calculation field to tally all of the individual totals and see what is the largest score. I then reveal the name of the person who is attached to that number eg finalist 17 or 25 etc. That is the first time I find out who the winner is! If more than one person has the same score I re-judge those candidates before revealing the winners name.

I hope you understand we take this very seriously and it has taken a little more time given the strength of your entries. With luck I should complete the judging today so depending where you are in the world you might receive this post and the winners name at the same time.

Thanks again for your fantastic entries you have made it very difficult. And yes we are already planning 2010!

Best Wishes

Jason

  Jason Edwards Oct 20, 2009 11:19 AM

174

Great, thank you very much for an update! I was almost certain the lucky winner is already packing up:)
The entries are incredible good this year, I bet it must be hard. Once again- congratulation to the eventual winner, I guess tomorrow we'll find out who he/she is!

  Alina Stobiecka Oct 20, 2009 11:46 AM

175

Hi Jason,
I have a small question: Do you collect and read the image captions as well? Because I think they're really important.

  Hieu Oct 20, 2009 6:57 PM

176

Has the shortlist been published somewhere? Cant wait for the results :-)

  Ben Parker Oct 20, 2009 9:35 PM

177

While I do appreciate the explanation of your judging process, nowhere do you mention the essay. Above however, in rule #3, the following is stated:

"Your written response will have significant weighting in the judging process, so think carefully about why you should be chosen."

At what point in the judging is the essay taken into account?

  Chris Oct 21, 2009 1:23 AM

178

Hi Guys,

Hieu in answer to your question, yes most definitely. If you look at the 'judging process' point 7 is all about captioning.

Ben, not yet but anytime now.

Chris, if you look at the 10 points listed in the 'judging process' (listed right below the judging guidelines near the top of Apply Now),you will note points 8 and 9 refer to the essay. Technically that's 20% of the judging criteria so the essay is very important. As mentioned in my last post (3rd paragraph from the end) the essays are judged last for a variety of reasons.

I will be posting a judge's comment with the announcements shortly.

Best

Jason

  Jason Edwards Oct 21, 2009 11:08 AM

179

I wonder if the shortlisted candidates have already been informed :)

  Erica Oct 21, 2009 11:33 AM

180

I'm listening to I'm So Excited lol

  Hieu Oct 21, 2009 12:50 PM

181

Its about 33 Degrees In Sydney today. A good day to find out you are going to Antarctica!

  Greg Tilden Oct 21, 2009 2:48 PM

182

omg i just schecked other candididates photos on flickr and all of them are in world nomad group but when i checked mines they werent and i started crying....i did follw the procedure and did add them to world nomad group i dont know whu it didnt show up......does this mean i am disqualified...

  Fatima naqvi Oct 21, 2009 5:00 PM

183

Fatima don't worry about your pictures having disappeared, it happened to a lot of people. Just check the discussion board on the world nomad group flickr group.

  Stranger Oct 21, 2009 5:06 PM

184

Have the shortlisted finalists been contacted to ask for high resolution copies? It would be great to get a better idea of how far along the judging is, especially if the finalist will be revealed along with the shortlisted contenders? Not much of a build-up if they know immediately that they came close but missed out ;)

Looking forward to seeing who was chosen, there's no doubt they'll have potential considering the massive pool of entries!

  Brendan Oct 21, 2009 5:37 PM

185

The winner is suppose to be announced today right???

  Fatima Naqvi Oct 21, 2009 6:25 PM

186

No, I think it was october 23., but not it seems it's postponed a bit due to the overwhelming response of this competition.

  Alexander Evensen Oct 21, 2009 7:12 PM

187

I was wondering if the shortlisted people have been contacted as well... I'm assuming they have if Jason is already looking at images judging... Better luck next year for me I guess! We'll all just have to find another way to get to antarctica and assist Jason :) Congrats to the winner!

  lani Oct 21, 2009 7:25 PM

188

I was wondering if the shortlisted people have been contacted as well... I'm assuming they have if Jason is already looking at images judging... Better luck next year for me I guess! We'll all just have to find another way to get to antarctica and assist Jason :) Congrats to the winner!

  lani Oct 21, 2009 10:20 PM

189

Hi, I only found out about the scholarship a few days ago - the deadline had already expired, but I applied anyway (yesterday that is). It was my moral duty, because I always dreamt to have Jason's job... You don't have a winner yet, isn't it? :D
Jason, please take a look at my pictures as soon as you have some spare time, although it doesn't count for the scholarship anymore. Sincere congrats to the lucky guy, have a good time in Antarctica and make the most of this unique chance!

  el constantin Oct 22, 2009 12:22 AM

190

The lucky guy or girl el constantin...or girl :)

  Kat Carney Oct 22, 2009 4:01 AM

191

Jason, thanks for keeping those of us with baited breath in the loop, it's very much appreciated.

  Chris Oct 22, 2009 4:13 AM

192

The suspense is killing us- can you let us know when you think your going to announce?!

Thanks!

  Ben Oct 22, 2009 4:17 PM

193

I dont think we will get to know about the winner anytime soon...!!

  Fatima Naqvi Oct 22, 2009 6:38 PM

194

The original go public by date was the 23rd of October. My guess is that Jason and the team would have contacted the winner aleady this week to check originals and double check availabity etc. and make the announcment to everyone and the public at the same time. So just a few hours more...

  Alan Humphris Oct 22, 2009 8:42 PM

195

I wonder if they ask for the originals from all the semifinalists, or only from the "winner"

  Jacob Oct 22, 2009 10:50 PM

196

Yep, probably from a "few". We'll soon find out, might actually get some sleep at night then! :-)

  Alan Humphris Oct 22, 2009 11:34 PM

197

Well, since I haven't gotten contacted by them yet, I'd have to say that no, they haven't asked the winner for the originals yet. ;)
I plan to keep thinking positively until I see someone elses name!

  Sharon Snyder Oct 23, 2009 1:08 AM

198

Good way of thinking Sharon! I hope you win, if it's not going to be me, which is really improbable though. :|

  el constantin Oct 23, 2009 3:20 AM

199

Any news peeps?

  Fahd Murtaza Oct 23, 2009 5:27 AM

200

The net is running silent...

  Brendan Oct 23, 2009 10:49 AM

201

lol Waiting for decisions is never fun. Quite excited though.

  Hieu Oct 23, 2009 11:25 AM

202

2009 World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship - Winner Announced
Wow! What an overwhelming response! We received 1050 applications this year which created an enormous headache (in the nicest possible way) for our judges. The quality of the work was also brilliant which just made the job even harder!

31 finalists made it to Jason Edwards for his final selection. After many grueling hours of painstaking assessment Jason has come up with a winner.

And the winner is Anna Zhu from Sydney, Australia. Click here to see Anna’s submissions, the runners up and a complete shortlist.
http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/36171.aspx

  scholarships Oct 23, 2009 2:00 PM

203

OOO finally winner revealed...well congrats to winner and runner ups and good luck!!

  Fatima Naqvi Oct 23, 2009 2:41 PM

204

Wow, great!!! Congratulations to Anna. Happy Journey to Antarctica!

  Victor Oct 23, 2009 2:47 PM

205

Wow, not at all what I expected from these results. I can see a few individual photos that I can agree with, but in the top three I'm not too thrilled with what I'm seeing? I guess that might come down to taste, but I don't see photographers here that could do an entire continent justice...

In any case, congratulations!

  Brendan Oct 23, 2009 3:36 PM

206

Hi,
I agree Brendan, I saw some great work in the flikr group, I even loved the person who won the second prize, his compositions and interpretations of his city but I am not too sure about the first and the third place winner unlike last year.

As you said photography is an art and its very subjective, so congratulations winner and enjoy your trip. :)

Riki

  Riki Oct 23, 2009 7:55 PM

207

I was shortlisted but I never heard from World Nomads about sending in my original photos for further review. Not that it really matters now that the results are out but... Was that supposed to happen??!

  Jing Peng Oct 24, 2009 3:02 AM

208

Will there be more opportunities like this in the future?

  Paige Jan 2, 2010 9:19 AM

209

Hi Guys, 207/ Jing. We were going to ask for original photos for review if necessary and Jason, our judge did not deem it necessary on this occasion. 208/ Paige. Yes there certainly will be more opportunities like this in the future. We will be running another Photography scholarship this year...so stay tuned and make sure you are on our mailing list: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=18873565876%22 Cheers, Tara

  scholarships Jan 9, 2010 5:41 PM

210

I can't believe I've only just discovered this! Is it likely to to become available for 2011 also?

  Cath Mar 22, 2010 5:36 PM

211

where r the pictures of the antartica dear friends

  Pradeep Chamaria Aug 5, 2010 3:48 PM

213

What a amazing post, I never find these type of info. Thanks for share with us..!!

hamariweb.com/pakistan-tv-channels/live_sports.aspx

  Geo Super Live Sep 24, 2010 7:36 PM

214

Will there be other photography scholarships to Antartica in the near future?

  Caitlin Oct 4, 2010 10:13 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.