Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Podcast Scholarship winner announced!

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 20 April 2009 | Views [4109] | Comments [3]

We are pleased to announce the winner of the 2009 Travel Podcast Scholarship as selected by our mentor, ABC Radio Journalist, Executive Producer and Author, Tim Latham.......

Winner: Enrique Núñez.

Judge's comments: Enrique's radio documentary shows strong visual scripting, interesting story angle and descriptive telling of characters and situation. Additional praise for telling the story in his second language of English.

He fulfills the basic narrative of taking the listener on a journey, via the public buses of Santiago and is so doing, reveals the story of the musicians he finds and what motivates them.

The story idea may be common place but his efforts to take the listener with him and describe the characters he meets helps builds a visual image of the story - a key element in all radio documentaries.

Enrique Núñez shows good aptitude. He will most certainly benefit from tackling a longer format radio documentary where there are multiple voices and angles.

Listen to Enrique's podcast

Runner up: Natalie Alexander

Judge's comments: Good story idea with a mix of music and interview. Basic foundation of journalism on display, covering the “what, where and how “ of the children’s home in the Philippines. In a piece about “home where dreams are built”, the story could have been developed further by hearing about one of those dreams from the children . Natalie’s work shows real promise.

Listen to Natalie's podcast

 


Congratulations Enrique! We look forward to hearing about your adventures in Guatemala.

 

 

What's next?

Applications are now open for our Travel Video Documentary Scholarship

Sign up to the scholarship mailing list for information about our Travel Photography Scholarship later in the year.

Comments

1

Hi there, is it possible to get an email receipt of your entry into these competitions? I put a lot of work into my entry, and didn't get any confirmation that you had received it or was not told the winner had been announced. Congratulations to Enrique who is a deserved winner!

Lucy

  Lucy Rogers Apr 20, 2009 5:13 PM

2

Hello Lucy,

Thanks for your feedback. When you completed your entry form you should have been taken to a page that confirmed your submission had been received - did this not happen in your case? Let me know so I can get our tech team to look into this.

I can confirm that we did recieve your entry and we do appreciate the level of work that goes into all submissions for the scholarship program. The mentoring opportunities are very competitive and therfore require applicants to demonstrate their skill and interest in their chosen area.

The terms and conditions of the scholarship state that the winning applicant will be published on the website within 14 days of the submission deadline. We do notify the winner before publication but unfortunately we do not have the resources to notify every applicant individually.

Thanks one again for your interest in our scholarship program. It's always helpful to receive feedback.

Amanda Byrne
Global Programs Manager

  scholarships Apr 21, 2009 10:07 AM

3

Hi Amanda,

Thanks very much for taking the time to give such an informative response. I did receive a confirmation page and will keep an eye on the website for news in future!

Best Wishes,
Lucy

  Lucy Rogers Apr 23, 2009 7:45 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.