Existing Member?

The Biggest Dosser Have a great trip..... bolloxing (wise words of Gerry Keane)

St Patrick´s Day - Argentina Style

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 20 March 2008 | Views [646] | Comments [2]

Hey Folks,

This is just a quick email to say "Hola".  I´m here in Ushuaia - the end of the world.  Climate has changed big time, just as I was getting used to the sun! 

It took five days to get from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, we stopped off at Peninsula Valdes along the way.  That was lovely but we didn´t see the main attraction - whales. 

St Patricks Day was spent mostly in the truck.  We had to cross over the border from Argentina to Chile and back again.  It was a long hard day and looked like it was going to get worse.  The weather was windy and so cold and we had to put up tents.  Because of all the border crossings, we had no food for dinner and it was too late to make it to the next town.  So, we found this little place and they made burgers for us.  And as it was St Patricks Day, we bought a bottle of whiskey.  It wasn´t the best stuff - 1.5 litres for 35 pesos (about 7 euros).  But it did the job, we were frozen. 

Our truck driver, Colin (he´s english) had a cd of the Dubliners in the truck so he brought that in and we put it on and had an old sing song. 

Then the lads decided they wanted to learn how to irish dance.  One of the girls, Claire from Melbourne, knew the Siege of Ennis, so between the 2 of us, we managed it.  It was so funny.  We even managed to get the 2 guys working in the restaurant to join us.  I tried to explain that it was St Patricks Day in Ireland.  I think they understood me. 

So, we had a few more beverages - just because it was St Patricks Day!!

Then they guy who ran the place offered to let us stay in the shop/restaurant.  And the floors were heated.  We thought all our birthdays had come at once.  Talk about trusting us.  

It was really a fantastic day.  It was headed for disaster but I don´t know how it was rescued. 

They made coffee for us the following morning and off we hit for Ushuaia. 

I´ll update this again soon but I don´t have time just now.  I think I´ll be trekking in Torres del Paine National Park for Easter. 

Happy Easter everyone. 

Talk soon

Sarah.   

Comments

1

What a great story!
You will be on gerry ryan show when you come back for one of those competitions with the best story for a holiday! Keep em comin....

Mind Yourself
Brian.

  Brian Arthurs Apr 4, 2008 5:26 PM

2

Send in that story to Ray Darcy - Today Fm on your return, you could win a bobbin head ray for that.

P.S ALL THE SPELLACYS, POWERS, PRENGERGASTS ALL SAY HELLO

  Cam Apr 12, 2008 12:25 AM

About sarahkeane


Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.