Existing Member?

A Whole New World Thanks for your prayers and your support! -Josh, Mallory, Megan, and Billy

Sangithum 32

USA | Wednesday, 16 July 2008 | Views [482] | Comments [7]

Sangithum (or however it's spelled) means Psalm in Tamil.  Psalm 32:7-8 says, "You are a hiding place for me; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with shouts of deliverance.  I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you."  It continues in v.10 with, "Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but staedfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord."  The last one has a similiar structure to Psalm 34:19 which states that, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers them out of them all."

My mentor, Kristen, and her family gave me The Hiding Place and Tramp for the Lord.  The books tell the story of Corrie ten Boom who was part of the underground in Holland which helped to hide Jews from the Nazis and the sequel chronicles Corrie's ministry throughout the world as an evangelist.  She suffered in a death camp and after the entire ordeal had lost 3 of her family members and lived in hell.  This book has been such a blessing because so many things it talks about have come up in conversations with the team as well as in Scripture I've been reading.  I love it when God tells us something over and over again - it's the only way it can get through my thick skull.

Anyway, there are 3 things of great importance that this book has highlighted for me:

1.  Be thankful for everything at all times

2.  God is your Teacher and Shepherd - pay attention to His leading and guidance and look for the lesson He is teaching you

3.  We have "two precious weapons" (to quote Corrie) - "the power of the blood of Jesus - and every Christian's legal right to use the wonderful Name of Jesus to cast out demons."

I got sick (again- ha ha) this week, and after a quick trip to the hospital on campus I was given medicine and a shot which helped me to feel a lot better.  Had I not been reading those books I know I could have very easily slipped into my typical woe-is-me attitude that focuses on my own "suffering" instead of the big picture.  I have been feeling a lot better today - which testifies to God's healing power - and God showed me the importance of thankfulness.  There is absolutely every reason to be thankful for things here in India.  God is working in so many ways.  This is best illustrated in something that happened last night.  As I was walking to dinner from my room I saw one of the community college students carrying her friend from the doorway of their hall to the ledge by the field close by to their dorm rooms.  God's love hit me so hard once I saw that - the way those two girls interacted was beautiful.  You see the girl who was carried is crippled and cannot use her legs to walk.  Her friend struggled a little to pick her up off the ground but did so in such a manner that communicated joy and love.  There is such awesome power in the love that we can show one another - and this power can be felt by those who are simply spectators. 

A major point that Corrie concludes on in her first book is that no matter where we are Jesus is a secure hiding place for us.  Just as the psalm suggests we should all strive to make Christ our resting place from which all comfort and peace comes to us.  Well, I hope all is well abroad and thanks again for reading these posts.  Keep persevering in prayer!

Love,

Mallory

Comments

1

I am just smiling the biggest smile because I haven't thought about those two books in ages. They were my favorite!!! I kid you not. Reading Corrie's account of her life and how she turned all those attrocities into praise really changed me. I remember the part about the lice and how they would bite her so badly but the praise was that they kept the guards away so that the women were able to conduct a Bible study.

So much of life is seeing our difficulties through the eyes of Christ and realizinfg that they are there to teach us, mold us and even bless us.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am always blessed by each one of you. Can you please consider blogging forever.

Have an awesome day and remember that you walk with the King who is Sovereign in all situations.

Loads of Love,
Mrs. R

  cathy Jul 16, 2008 11:28 PM

2

Mallory,
That passage is sung by Steven Curtis Chapman, It is called Hiding Place. One of my favorite songs, when I feel bombarded by the world or something dark, I feel I can just fall into Christ arm's for comfort and strength. In His arms I can get the words I need to be strong for Him and do what is right in His eyes.

So where did you get that thick skull?! Surely not from me?!

and you were sick (again); God and I need a sit down to figure out how I can best help you in prayer! Perhaps, as that girl helped her friend, you were able to let others help you with love and joy. As you had mentioned in your email, yes God does answer all prayer but not "our" way- but always the perfect way!

Again, I am truly blessed to be able to grow in Christ through all the teams struggles and joys. Mallory, you know I love you deeply and rejoice in your faith. God has provided you with three awesome team members that I have come to love in Christ. I would love to bundle you all up together to enjoy your stories and experiences when you return but I know that would be selfish, not only to their parents but also to all those that would miss their testimonies in their hometowns and beyond.

I pray each day forward is rich in Christ's blessings, don't forget to count those blessings and thank Him daily for them.
Stay strong in the Word and remember the prayer warriors are working hard to keep your hearts afire!!!
Love,
Mom/Sue

  Sue/mom Jul 17, 2008 12:55 AM

3

Mal! Wow It's so funny I feel like the majority of the thing the Lord is teaching you he's been teaching me (just in a very different way). If you come to visit me do you know when? If it's in 2 weeks i have to know now to take off of work. I really want to see you and be able to catch up before i go. I'm praying for all of you and miss you so much, in fact i'm pretty sure this is the most i've ever missed anyone in my whole life. i love you!

  Mel Jul 20, 2008 9:39 AM

4

Mallory:

Your entries are a great encouragement to me. You are an incredibly gifted writer!

Mr. G.

  Mr. G. Jul 21, 2008 11:34 AM

5

Mal,

I'm going to try again. So far I've attempted to post to your blog twice unsuccessfully. If this doesn't work, I'll assume I'm only supposed to talk to you upon your return!

I'm glad those books have been a blessing to you. There are so many great truths hidden there. One of my favorites is the illustration that our heavenly Father carries life's "heavy luggage" for us, just as Corrie's father did for her...and just the reminder that our God is working ALL the time, around the world, in amazing ways...not just in Biblical times (how about those vitamins that never ran out!). You may also understand now why I wanted to call Beth, Betsie...what an amazing woman of faith! Unfortunately, my beloved thought it sounded more like a cow's name :-)

The whole family's been praying for you and will continue to do so. My kids are sick, so as I pray for them, I'll pray for your healing as well. Continue to be patient with each other and with the culture shock stages (that will continue right up until the time you leave).

I rejoice that you are in God's hands...but I can't wait until you return home safely to all of us in the 'Burgh!

Much love,
Kristen

  Kristen Satariano Jul 22, 2008 7:25 AM

6

Mallory,

It was great to read your posting about Corrie and thankfulness. I often think God sends us to serve so that we can learn more than we give. The trick is remembering what we learn and applying it daily. Thick skulls seem to be inherent to the entire race.

Lookng forward to hearing more and seeing you when you get back.

Love,

Brian McGoey

(By the way - the kids haven't scared away Lyndsay yet:)

  Brian McGoey Jul 22, 2008 9:22 AM

7

Hi Mal and co.!
I am just in awe of how much God is working through this mission, through your experiences there, this blog, prayer at home--our God is truly amazing. You guys have been in my prayers, and I have been blessed so richly by this blog--thank you for keeping us updated at home! We miss you and love you, and are lifting you up. And about your last blog, Mal, about remembering what you have learned there--God is so strong and wise--all you have learned He will continue to use for the rest of Your life; it is His strength that supports us, and His will will be done. Keep your eyes and heart on Him, and continue to seek His growth, and He will certainly honor that. I can't wait to hear about how Christ has worked in you, and I thank God for Your eagerness and dedication to Him! Blessings,
Christina

  Christina Jul 25, 2008 1:00 PM

About salvation_karmy

here we are

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.