Existing Member?

A Whole New World Thanks for your prayers and your support! -Josh, Mallory, Megan, and Billy

Independence Day

USA | Friday, 4 July 2008 | Views [940] | Comments [10]

Take a deep breath.  The air filling your lungs is the air of freedom, bought with the precious blood of noble men who died courageously for their nation.  Can you feel the liberty coursing through your veins, stirring up images of Paul Revere's ride, Washington crossing the Delaware, and John Hancock signing the Declaration of Independence?

Sadly, our team has been forced to spend their Independence Day in yet another land which was once tyrannized by the hideous strength of the British Empire.  But in this state of terrible oppression, we too have stood for the cause of freedom, throwing off the chains of tyrannical might.

Throughout the course of the day, we celebrated the birth of our nation through various overtly patriotic acts.  At breakfast, we recited, from memory, the Preamble to the Constitution and selections from the Declaration of Independence.  Megan gave a rousing rendition of the Gettysburg Address, and we ceremoniously poured a cup of British tea down the drain while chanting "No taxation without representation!" - our very own Boston Tea Party.  At the office, we officially declared our 3rd story room to be American soil, requiring passports for entry and departure.  Every day at precisely 11:00, an Indian woman brings us each a cup of hot tea.  Today, we refused to accept this symbol of our bondage.  Instead, we committed an act of civil disobedience, only accepting one of the cups, and this we did for the sole purpose of dumping it out at the end of the day (this sounds horribly rude, but our hearts were pure) - yet another commemoration of the Boston Tea Party.  Then at dinner, we prefaced our meal by standing to sing all four verses of "The Star-Spangled Banner" while the Indian cooks looked on in disbelief and scorn.  We concluded our celebrations by watching a video of fireworks on YouTube while blowing up party favors. 

Thus we concluded a very unforgettable Independence Day.  Surely all four of us will fall asleep tonight with pride in our hearts and the immortal words of Patrick Henry, "give me liberty or give me death!", echoing in our heads.

All joking aside, all four of us realized today how blessed we are to have been born in America.  Although none of us can seem to put a finger on it, we all experienced the 4th of July in a very new and positive way.

God bless America!

- The Minutemen

Comments

1

This is why I love you four...well there are lots of other reasons but this is one of them! Happy 4th!

  Markley Jul 5, 2008 4:10 AM

2

Good afternoon. I am a part of the team that just left India. If you one of could e-mail me, I can get you the website information for all of the pictures we are posting.

Thanks,
Tim (jumper-1977@hotmail.com)

  Tim Jul 5, 2008 6:14 AM

3

After reading this "4th of July" entry, many of us wished we would have been with you all as you celebrated our independence. I would have liked to see the looks on the faces of the Indian people there--they probably thought you were wacky. Thank you for not taking your freedoms for granted and for making the day count!!
Love you
Mrs Galieti

  Mrs G (Mom) Jul 5, 2008 10:43 PM

4

Galatians 5:1 - Declaration of Dependence!

God Bless you guys!

Mr. G.

  Mr. G. Jul 6, 2008 3:50 AM

5

We are thoroughly amazed and greatly impressed with all that you have committed to memory, especially all four verses of "The Star Spangled Banner." Surely you found them on the computer. We read Psalm 143 again this morning in your honor, and look forward to reading more about your adventures.

  Ed and Joy Tobin Joshua's Nana and O.G.)G Jul 6, 2008 9:36 AM

6

Did you get some American food from the cooks and eat with your silverware?

  Vaughan Jul 7, 2008 9:57 AM

7

It must have been so hard not to be in the comfort of your own homes, plus watching your town's parade and fireworks.

I am so impressed with all that you four did and that you know the words by heart to all that you mentioned. You are a good example for all of us and help us appreciate all that we have and our freedom.

Much love,
Gigi (Billy's grandmother)

  Virginia Munson McTier Jul 7, 2008 10:38 AM

8

This one's better - Galatians 2:20...Declaration of Dependence that is.

I love this blog! Keep the notes and pics coming!

Mr. G.

  Mr. G. Jul 7, 2008 11:45 AM

9

Just think how far you have come in the past three weeks. What an amazing job you have done and think of the lives you have touched!!! Hang in there and continue to be encouraged that the Lord your God is with you wherever you go and that He has his arms wrapped around you AT ALL TIMES! (He will never leave you or forsake you).
Love you guys,
Mrs. R.

  cathy Jul 9, 2008 7:48 AM

10

Billy and all,

Read Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" It was your great grandfaher, Fafa's favorite.

Also Psalm 27 and 138:7 "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, Thou wilt revive me; Thou wilt stretch forth Thy hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Thy right hand will save me".

Only 3 more weeks - hang in there Meg, Mallory, Josh and Billy and know that God is with you and is holding you all up.

Love,
Gigi

  Gigi Jul 11, 2008 7:33 AM

About salvation_karmy

here we are

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.