Existing Member?

A Whole New World Thanks for your prayers and your support! -Josh, Mallory, Megan, and Billy

A day in the life

USA | Thursday, 26 June 2008 | Views [650] | Comments [7]

Well it’s tough to describe a day in the life in India because schedules and times don’t have anywhere near the same kind of meaning that they do in the states.  Here’s a general idea of what we’re doing:

515 – wake up, walk outside to where the kids are lined up.  They sing a few songs and pray, and afterward they do their chores and bathe

7:00 – we walk over to the chapel with the kids where we pray, sing songs, and then they study.

7:45 – we go put the food in the kids bowls, and at 830 they come over and eat.  Depending on our schedule for the day, we either go back with the kids, or eat our breakfast.

10:00 – if we don’t have an event to go to and report on, we go into the office (figuring out rides is always a task)

300 – we are supposed to come back from the office (it hasn’t happened yet).  Between when we get back and 530 we can do devotions, chill, or whatever

530- we play with the kids until 630

630 – the kids go to the chapel and do a similar routine like they did in the morning, and they eat at 8ish

730 – we eat our dinner, and then afterwards we go to bed/email (unless you’re me), and go to sleep

The frustrating things is there is a good deal of time that we are not doing anything, but we don’t feel like we have enough time for devos or email.  The extra time we have is when we show up for something (like a meal or a ride) and it’s not ready so we just wait around.

Changing gears, the landscape is somewhat tropical, but it doesn’t have as much vegetation.  As you’ve probably seen there are a lot of Palm trees.  The land is pretty flat, but there are a lot of small rocky mountains that jut out.  The soil is very sandy in some areas, but in Salem it is more fertile and red.

Please pray that we get enough time to spend with the Lord and that we get enough sleep.  The time we have to pray and read the word is sometimes taken up by other things, and it is so crucial to our lives.  It’s also tough to get to bed early enough because after dinner we like to try to email and post on the blog, but if there are other teams here (which there have been since we got here) we have to fight for the computer.  Not only that, but there is usually a lot to talk about at night, and when you need to go to bed by 10 to get 7 hours of sleep, and you finish dinner around 830 or 845, it’s difficult to do.

I hope I’ll post more in the future, thanks for all the prayers,

Billy

Comments

1

Thank you so much for the outline of how you're spending your time! It's helpful to me to visualize your days as I'm praying. Everything is fascinating, and while we appreciate that your time is limited, we are so thankful for glimpses into your experience. Now tell Josh it's his turn :)

P.S. It sounds to me like the Indians are similar to Italians in their attitude toward schedules!

  Laura Tobin Jun 26, 2008 2:13 AM

2

HI ! Did I ever tell you my life verse is Psalm 27:13,14. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord. Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord!

Every time I have labored in prayer for anything the Lord has led me to this verse.

As I was thinking about how often you say you all have to wait around I thought about something the Lord showed me one morning as I was waitng behind yet another school bus on the way to TNT. I was having a coniption fit and He whispered to me "every person I put in front of you I want you to pray for". So I started praying for the salvation of all the kids sitting in front of me on the school bus. Then I was in the grocery store and mad because the checkout lady was so slow I thought I would lose my mind and the Lord said the same thing. "pray for everyone waiting in this line" and then the final time was when I was in the post office and the line was endless because it was Christmas time and God said "see all these people in front of you , pray for them". So it became kind of a game. I started to "see" the people in front of me and pray for them. Of course I seemed to always get in the longest lines and the most traffic and yet I was excited as I realized that God loved these people and He was using me to pray for them. He would even give me specific things to pray about sometimes for the person in front of me.

I share this with you so that when you are waiting around see who it is that God has walk past you or who is in the line in front of you . Maybe it is just that you are waiting with your team and God can whisper into your ear what to pray for them.

Tell your whole team that when they are discouraged they can rest knowing that one of us, is at that very moment, praying for them. Even in the middle of the night! We all love you 4 and love that you are serving the King of Kings by reaching out to His precious people who in the world's eyes are forgotten .

Have a wonderful day!
Mom

  cathy Jun 26, 2008 9:44 PM

3

You are all in my prayers. It takes a lot of patience to wait. In Isaiah 8:17: "And I will wait for the Lord who is hiding His face from the house of Jacob; I will even look eagerly for Him." When you wait think of God.

Love,
Gigi (Billy's grandmother) June 26, 2008

  Gigi Jun 27, 2008 4:24 AM

4

i love john milton's quote
"they also serve who only stand and wait"

Its really hard to wait. I am experiencing the exact same frustrations here in China, but God is really teaching me so much through it. It takes me 1-2 hours one way each day to get to work on the subway and even at work I often feel useless. The point is, waiting on the Lord is really something I believe he wants to teach us. Its so easy to get caught up in doing, but I have noticed that although I may not be reading the Word while I am waiting, my thoughts are more often on Him. I hear your frustration with the schedule though - my team is experiencing the exact same thing only we have 5-6 hours of sleep at night, which might kill me. :)

I read what your mom wrote and I agree. I was waiting at the bus stop by myself in the pouring rain (without an umbrella) for about 20 minutes last night and nobody around me offered to share their umbrella. I was really mad and frusterated and then I realized that I was standing with people who don't have any idea how much God loves them and have never experienced that joy and peace before. It was a huge reality check!

I'll be praying that God keeps you all strong and that he shows how you can serve even if you are only standing and waiting.

  Sarah Sims Jun 27, 2008 1:32 PM

5

You all seem to be quite busy there! I'm praying for you all as are many of my friends and family here in California. It's great to wake up in the morning, check your blog, and see how God is using you there in India. And Megan- I'm glad to see that the Indian food hasn't killed you yet (like you thought it would a few months ago)!

  Renee Stump Jun 27, 2008 3:40 PM

6

I kept checking the blog and seeing nothing. Then I saw it the other day and realized that I was staring at your posts and somehow didn't see them! Anyways, I'm up to date with you guys now and want you to know that I've been praying for you all along and won't stop. I hope God continues to reveal himself in fresh ways over there!

  Chris Daggett Jun 27, 2008 10:13 PM

7

Hey guys! Wow. What an experience y'all are having! May God bless, keep, and strengthen y'all especially during the times when you don't feel like you're making an impact. Blessings! I Thess 2:8

  Leslie Hardeman Jun 30, 2008 4:10 AM

About salvation_karmy

here we are

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.