Existing Member?

A Whole New World Thanks for your prayers and your support! -Josh, Mallory, Megan, and Billy

more from Psalm 143

INDIA | Wednesday, 25 June 2008 | Views [635] | Comments [5]

   I wanted to write some more about Psalm 143 since the other day's post was so short. Thank you so much to all of you who answered immediately with encouragement - what a blessing! I realized after I read your comments that I may have caused more worry than I meant to. I read this psalm a few days ago and the Lord really instructed me a lot through this. I was super encouraged by this psalm. When I got your comments I went back and reread it and realized that it's kind of a heavy in some ways (especially at the beginning). Yet, God used these dark words to completely uplift my spirit!

   It was hard when I first arrived in India. Things were pretty different here. I'm one of 4 white kids. It smells different. People like to stare at us. No one speaks English. Tobin kind of smells...just kidding :) but seriously all this was a lot to take in at first...beyond all these changes there is an apparent darkness that I was feeling all the time...every time we drove past an idol I felt a little weary...you can just feel the weight of the hopelessness of people who are serving a religion that is simply emptiness...to say it briefly I was pretty scared the first few days.

   Then I read this psalm. I was overwhelmed by the presence of God with me (even on the other side of the world in India)! We serve a god who greets us with His lovingkindness in the morning, who we can trust in, who instructs our Spirit in the way we should walk, who delivers us from darkness, who is good, who is righteous, and who has the power to destroy any fears, darkness, weariness, or emptiness that I was facing. Praise the Lord!

   I hope this makes a little more sense and I would appreciate that you would continue to keep this psalm in mind as you pray for me and also as you pray for the people of India. I love and miss you all! Thanks again for all your words of encouragement. I hope the 25th is as good for you as it was for me! (haha)

meg

Comments

1

Megan, I had hoped it was something like that, just a way to prepare for those feelings that can come over us to discourage us, but then we get the last laugh as we have the power of the Holy Spirit to rise up and shake those feelings off. I can't imagine the overwhelming feelings you all were presented with in a new and foriegn land with a hollow religion but I do know that God provides us with the strength to not only overcome the feelings but to SUCCEED in His plan. Reading Psalm 143 was a blessing for me as I am able to use it in my own life - it struck a chord and reminded me to trust in God's care for me with the battles I face. So again, Praise the Lord in the way he works through you in India as well as in Pittsburgh, PA!!
Well back to work as it is a new day for us! Good night dear Megan, my love to the boys and my heart, as always to Mallory.
Love,
Sue

  Sue/mals mom Jun 25, 2008 11:19 PM

2

Meg,

I don't know if you've had a chance to meet up with Paula at all or if you two have crossed paths, but we got an e-mail from her today that said basically the same thing. You two are being such warriors for His kingdom and I look up to both of you so much for that. I will continue to pray this for both of you, but just know how much you are helping me grow just from reading your posts and seeing your strength for Christ. I love you!!!
Kell

  Kelly Jun 26, 2008 6:01 AM

3

I have to tell you Meg, that when I first read your comment, I knew in my spirit that it was something that God would really use to encourage you during your stay in India. I will continue to pray for the people there and often refer back to this passage.
I miss you more than you know.
Love, Mom

  Robin(Meg's Mom) Jun 26, 2008 10:03 AM

4

Hey Meg,
As soon as I read your post the other day I went and read the Psalm (down on my dock looking out on my beautiful lake.) I was worried about you at first but as I read it again and prayed I was overcome by the joy that is within it. That we are pressed but not crushed. I'm so thrilled for you to be where you are and excited that God is moving in you and in the hearts of the people in India. I was encouraged by the Psalm too. I love you and I'm praying for you guys everyday! I love reading your blog it's so awesome to hear what God is doing through you in India! Be open to whatever he has to show you, it will change you and for the better. :)
~Meg

  Markley Jun 27, 2008 12:03 PM

5

Meg,

I feel that I know exactly what you are talking about and I am glad you shared what you are learning from this Psalm. God gave the girls in my group Psalm 27 on our first day of work when we were just weary from culture shock and nervous about what the week held. You should check it out if you get a chance. It starts out in verse one by saying "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear" and end by saying "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord". the Lord has abbundantly provided for all my needs here, and when I am discouraged and tired, he is gracious and usually provides encouragement that I don't expect. I have cried here several times, so I am guessing you probably feel about the same way :) I will continue to pray for you as you adjust to india and begin to see the people around you with God's eyes and his heart.

Love you!

Sarah

  Sarah Sims Jun 27, 2008 1:42 PM

About salvation_karmy

here we are

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.