Existing Member?

Never Too Old

we're finally HERE: Istanbul!!!!

USA | Wednesday, 25 June 2014 | Views [201]

OMG!  We are finally here after a long, arduous, drunken journey, including fun tmes at JFK, very nice attendants and wonderful Turkish hospitality at our hotel.  Meo did a great job of finding this gem of a boutique hotel, only 3 blocks frm the Blue Mosque. Our reception host, Urgil (pronounded "eel") is the most hositable, considerate young man (goes out of his way to help us lame Americans!). B's new name: "andbruce"!

 

After arriving, we stolled around a bit, toasted urselves,then proceeded to get toasted!  Had a reasonable dinner at a terrace restaurant, in view of the beautiful mosque.  But we were all exhausted & jet lagged so went to bed a little early.

 Today was much better, thanks to sleeping through the first 2 calls to prayer.  We are only a block away from a small mosque but which has it's own minaret. So we hear it clearly. Interestingly, not all the mosques call at the same time; they are staggered maybe so as not to "step on" each other's call.  The message is always the same: Praise to Allah, sing his prayer, come join the song of prayer".  Actually its quite beautiful but maybe after a week abit over done.  Appears that only the devout actually drop to a prayer rug at all  times.  The service people continue to work.

The weather is gorgeous: warm during the day, cooler evenings.  little wind but just enough to cool off..  Ocean lovely but very busy port. Tomorrow we go with our guide to the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazzar.  The Spice Bazzar was not so "spicy", only 3 stall devoed to spice.  So maybe better tomorrow. 

We hope to get to take out Bosporus boat ride on Friday but will see how it goes.  It is so exotic here, so much ancient history, so many languages,  so much to see/do.  It would be very interesting to spend a bit of time here, maybe 3-6 months.

 

Love to you all!  More blogging soon.  See Pix 

t, M, & B

 

tt

(entry by Tomie)

 

About sailor1girl


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.