Existing Member?

Never Too Old

Not in Greece!?

GREECE | Friday, 4 July 2014 | Views [365]

After 2 difficult and exhausting days of travel, we finally arrived in Santorini. This was the WHOLE original purpose of the trip (according to Bruce). The sights have not disappointed. One of the most picturesque and photogenic places on the planet. But the interesting thing we have found out so far is when a Greek asks you where have you been in Greece and we answer "just Santorini" they get a perplexed/disdainful look on their faces. Followed by "that place is not in Greece!" Our interpretation of their comment is this place is too touristy, too crowded, too over the top, too hectic, etc.

All the above may or may not be true but one thing we know for sure, Santorini is NOT of any place but is surreal and unique in it's beauty. It's been about 18 years since I was here last. Lots of new buildings, shops, not as many Greek cats, haven't seen one old woman in black washing her steps in the morning and now they have 4 - 8 cruise ships a day. Even so, it is beautiful in the mornings before people are about plus the man running our small apartment hotel is a character, in the classic Greek sense.

We are each enamored with different facets of the island already and we've only been here 24 hours!

 

About sailor1girl


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.