Existing Member?

India

Day 1 and we are television stars

INDIA | Thursday, 28 February 2008 | Views [1067] | Comments [2]

Although my first day here seems like ages ago - I'm finally taking the time to jot it down. While waiting for my backpack to arrive in Chennai, Noah, Haley, Kyle and I decided to check out the Tamil Nadu studios (the second largest producer of Indian films after Bollywood). As fate would have it we met a middle-aged, bright orange sport shirt wearing, gold chain rocking man on the bus. Nirmal first asked Noah where we were headed and upon finding out, informed us that he once acted in several productions and assured us he could get us into places otherwise sealed off to tourists. Before long though, Nirmal was arguing with a security guard. While growing dubious of his connections and influence we soon realize that he is claiming we are Hollywood actors visiting India. Noah in particular, according to our dear friend Nirmal, has acted in 20 films, alongside Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis. The security guard gives us entry into the set of what appears to be an Indian version of American Idol. We are quickly directed to the audience section where we play along and mimic the dances and movements of our fellow spectators. However, before long, we are led onto the stage where we (sweaty, dirty, and tired) partake in what was once a well-rehearsed dance involving beautiful women in saris and a couple of nervous men who appear to be contestants of some sort. We have no idea what we are doing, except destroying some sort of line dance that is being filmed. But everyone onstage is smiling and enthusiastic, so we continue at our smelly and utterly confused best. Afterwards we find out that the show is being aired the following Saturday night. Unfortunately though, we didn't have access to a TV to catch it. Nirmal invited us back to his house and we met his wife, drank excellent coffee (Haley, the one female, helped prepare and serve the coffee!), listened to Nirmal describe his daily routine (water the flowers, feed his fish, nap, work a little), and looked at their wedding album. It was a ridiculous and wonderful first day. But, much to my disappointment, I have yet to be recognized and asked for an autograph.

Tags: Laughter

Comments

1

Ryan,
I love that story! Hilarious! You should have claimed to be Matthew McCaunahey.

  Kristen Feb 29, 2008 6:01 AM

2

or you could've claimed that you were mcdreamy.

  eric Mar 4, 2008 1:45 AM

About rymaher


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.