Existing Member?

Good Times THE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

The crazy bus drivers

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 11 March 2008 | Views [967]

pic from the bus window...yes, I got carried away with the roads...lol

pic from the bus window...yes, I got carried away with the roads...lol

On Sunday I took a bus two hours north to Jaco Beach and Hermosa Beach...I knew all the drivers here were crazy, but these roads that we were driving on were so narrow, and the bus drivers were cruising fast in a big coach bus. I guess they make about 4 trips back and forth per day, so they know the routes like the back of their hand.  Anyways, we were going up hill on this windey (how do you spell that?) road with only one lane of traffic, and the bus driver decides to pass a car with a double yellow line. I guess we were quite lucky we didnt nail another car. I have seen quite a few accidents in the short time that I have been here, and the traffic just goes nuts honking their horns...etc. It is quite an experience to see the drivers here. I feel like I am in Mexico again, and I am looking forward to many more bus ride adventures in the near future.

On this particular bus trip I was studying my Spanish on the way home. The guy next to me could see that I was studying my espanol and the bus driver decided to turn out the lights seeing it was dark out. The guy next to me said "I guess you cant study anymore," in english. This was one of the few people that I have encountered on a bus that could speak enlgish, so we started talking. He was born in Michigan but moved out here when he was fourteen. He said he has no desire to go back to the states because he loves it here in CR (Costa Rica) because it has so much to offer, river rafting, fishing, horse back riding, zip line tours, lots of wildlife, etc. all within hours)...he sells real estate out here and has two different offices in Costa Rica. He says that in the area where I was, Jaco, the real estate went up 300 percent last year. I guess there are still some good deals out there on land etc...guess I better save up...lol...anyways I got the dudes business card, and who knows...maybe I will end up coming back here to work for awhile. Proctor and Gamble...here I come!

Tags: on the road

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.