Existing Member?

Good Times THE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

First Day Here

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 11 March 2008 | Views [625]

Again!

Again!

So finally, after a 12 hour lay over in the NYC airport, I arrived the San Jose, Costa Rica airport. Once I got my luggage I had to wait in line for about an hour to exchange some $ for Colones  (I read that you should not do this because they rip you off in the airport...but this was after the fact when I read that).  I did not see any signs of the two ladies that were picking me up, so I was a little concerned as to whether I had a ride or not. Once I walked out the door to the airport I noticed a sign that said Ryan Clark, but it was for another Spanish school that I had spoken to about helping out. I had emailed this school telling them I was not going to work for them, but obviously they didnt get the email. I felt bad because I saw the other two ladies that I was going to be working for as well outside the airport waiting for me. So, I gave the guy from the other Spanish school some gas money and sent him on his way...(he had to drive 1.5 hours back to Orosi)...Meanwhile, I took off with my two Spanish teachers back to my Tico family. As I was talking to the two ladies, I found out real quickly that they dont speak very good english and they had some troubles understanding me. I was in the same boat though because I did not really always understand them.

Once we arrived at the house family (my Tico dad, my tico mom, and my tico brother) gave me a nice welcome and showed me their place. I have the whole upstairs to myself which has two bedrooms and a bathroom. I was expecting a lot worse. This is actually a really nice place. So I was really tired, but I guess the family was taking me over to meet the relatives a couple blocks down. They cooked me fish and octopus (Octuva). It was funny because the fish still had all the bones in it, and still had the tail connected...they definitely filet fish differently than us. So I ate some interesting food and watched soccer in Spanish with the fam. There was only one little boy there that could speak a little english...so when I asked if they had the internet at their house he knew what I was talking about, and I was able to let you all know I was doing well!

Tags: culture

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.