Existing Member?

Good Times THE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

My Tico Family

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 11 March 2008 | Views [1291]

Ligia and Walter (My Tico mom and dad)...this was my last day living with them

Ligia and Walter (My Tico mom and dad)...this was my last day living with them

I never would have guessed I would have been so lucky to line up such a great family in a foreign country. Every morning I wake up and sit at the table for breakfast my Tica mom (Ligia) rushes to cut up some fruit (pineapple, banana, watermelon, cantelope, mangos) etc, and then makes me some hot tea with milk, sugar, and also usually some type of sandwich, or rice & beans with eggs.

Then I usually head off to study or work at the Spanish school, or even just walk around for some exercise during the morning. During the time while I am at school or working, Ligia cleans the house every day...she is constantly hand washing clothes, emptying the garbage can in my room, cleaning the bathroom every day, or mopping the floor. She, also cleans the trash can in the bathroom every day which is a good thing, because the toilet paper does not go down the toilet because I guess the drainage system here sucks so the toilet paper goes in the trash can....lol

When I return home, I usually go sit at the table around 6 pm and Ligia (my Tica Mom) makes me dinner while I watch TV outside in this little area off of the kitchen. Her soon to be husband in April, Walter usually sits with me, and talks to me in Spanish, and I ramble back very slowly...lol.. Ligia makes a lot of good dinner meals, and even made me spaghetti a couple nights...felt like I was at home again...most of the stuff I eat I could not tell you what it is, but it all tastes pretty darn good. She was not feeding me rice and beans that much at first, but lately she has been making beans and rice a lot more, and as a result, I have found myself having a couple close calls finding a bathroom in time....lol...beans kill me.

The family is a retired couple and they have one older son that lives at home who is mentally challenged, and they are all very very nice people. Like I said, I would never have expected to have such a clean and respectful family, and they have made my transition to Costa Rica a memorable one. It almost makes me want to spend another month here before I move on with my travels....but I am sure I will come across some more great people....P.S.  I just found out that one of my couchsurfer friends' roommate will be moving back to Holland and he asked me to move into his pad.  I will be moving in with another couchsurfer for the month of April before I continue my travels!!!!!

So I decided to update this some more...today was my final day at the Tico House families place and they said that they were very content with me living there.  They said they loved that I was very clean and respectful.  When I left they told me "mi casa es su casa"...basically telling me that there house is my house, and that they would love for me to come visit while I am in Costa Rica.

Tags: family

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.