Existing Member?

Chronicle's of an Adventurer Tick Tock it is Time to stop the Clock and live life to the end. Don't let time pass just thinking about your wishes. Make them come true sooner or later!

Beijing

CHINA | Tuesday, 16 October 2007 | Views [320]

We are here in Beijing...what has become my favorite city so far into our journey.  Our trip has included a visit to the Forbidden city, Summer Palace and the Great Wall of China. 

 The Summer Palace is a huge area built for the emperors to escape the cold from the Forbidden city palace.  It is built around water with numerous scenic view points.  I found it to be extremely beautiful, peaceful and a landscape wonder.  

 The Forbidden Palace was a bit quotic bc it was Kelly and I along with a few thousand people...Kelly would say it was about 10,000 people!  The stories we heard on our audio guide revealed scandal!  The place was filled with drama.  The emperor had a harem of woman called concubines along with the emperoress.  They each had huge square quarters and were lavishly bored.  They had the finest of fine things from silk pajamas to jade pendants.  They took on knitting to occupy their time and enjoyed being apart of palace drama.  (Note:  I have forgotten how to write in english...we read and speak Chinglesh now.) 

The Wall...I can't believe we climbed the Great Wall of China!  This wall goes on for 3,000 miles...we climbed only 4 miles.

Oh, saw Bird Nest the crazy olympic building...still under construction though.  

We had a great evening we found a cute cozy coffee shop that actually had chocolate brownie cake.  These two things are uber expensive here so of course we had both :) We read Elle...commented on fashion, hair, and the latest trend.  It was great to be girls for a change since we wear trekking shoes and the same two pairs of camping pants.

Can't wait to get to Shanghai so we can get our hair flat ironed and cut.  Looking forward to shopping and having dessert. 

Tags: Adventures

About rprip


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.