Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Katherine

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 15 August 2009 | Views [701]

As I write this I'm sitting outside in the cool morning air smelling the lantana, drinking chai and listening to the birds sing their wonderful wake up song.  We're in Katherine.  Yesterday we spent the day cruising down Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge).  This 292,800 hectare National Park is owned by the Jawoyn Aboriginal people and it's named after the cicada dreamtime story.

Some of the Park's features include spectacular dissected sandstone country, broad valleys and numerous, significant cultural sites.

The deep Katherine Gorge carved through ancient sandstone by the Katherine River is the central attraction of the Park.  It is one of the most spectacular areas in the country, winding 12 km with walls more than 70m high. The 13 wonderful gorges of Nitmiluk National Park were formed 23 million years ago as torrents of water poured along tiny cracks in the earth.

Katherine itself is a strange place.  A lovely little town that doesn't know whether it tropical or arid.  This of course adds to its charm and beauty.

It was wonderful to finally get here. So many people have told me about this place for so many years and it has definitely lived up to expectation. It's one of the places all Australians must visit before they die.  

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.