Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Smells

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 18 March 2008 | Views [929]

There’s a smell up here in the mountains of Northern Vietnam.  It’s hard to place.  It’s a mix of the wood burned in fireplaces every night, it’s part cardoman drying, it’s the smell of farmyards, and freshly cut fields.  It’s Vietnamese sizzling chicken in lemongrass and chilli, it’s ginger tea,  it’s wild pork hanging in village smoke houses.  It’s the smell of dong changing hands and indigo dye soaking into hemp clothing.  It’s baguettes baking and hessian bags full of spices on display in tiny shops throughout SaPa.  It’s motorcycle fumes and incense burning.  It’s chestnuts roasting and the smell of Vietnamese coffee topped with condensed milk being poured into slightly chipped cups. It’s Halida beer and cigarettes.  It’s mud and mist and the rain and the steamed rice.  It’s bunches of fresh herbs and strings of wild mushrooms being carried in bamboo baskets.  It’s wonderful, its intoxicating, it’s SaPa.

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.