Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Birds Nests & Steam Boat

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 26 February 2008 | Views [1299]

We are staying at the New 7th Storey Hotel here in Singapore.  I don’t know why its called that as its 54 years old and has 8 stories.  But anyway.. It’s across the park from the KTV Top One Karaoke Bar where you can sing all you want from 11am-7pm for 15 bucks.  Below that is the Dragon Bird’s Nest Shop.  Birds Nests are a Chinese delicacy made out of the saliva of birds.  We haven’t  tried one yet as they are extremely expensive.   We have however tried Sea Cucumber.  Last night we had dinner at the restaurant attached to our hotel.  We sat out under the stars at a table in the park watching the Chinese actors rehearse for a performance tonight.  We ordered Steam Boat which is essentially a wok filled with stock to with you had different things to cook.  These include chicken or pork dipped in egg, prawns, tofu, fish, sea cucumber, octopus, Cuttlefish balls (well not their actual balls but cuttlefish meat in the shape of a ball,  beef and a plenty of greens and mushrooms.  Anything you like really.    You just start adding stuff as you want and wait for it to cook and then scoop it out.  The people here are crazy about steam boat and its seems to be the night time dinner dish of choice.  It’s absolutely delicious.  At the end of the meal after you have eaten all the stuff you have cooked you are left with this amazing broth.  Of course we had absolutely no idea what to do so our wonderful waiter helped us.  It is essential to wash all this down with enormous bottles of Tiger Beer.  Clearly life here in Singapore is getting tougher everyday….and we’re luvin’ it!

Tags: Food & eating

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.