Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Surreally Close

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 10 February 2008 | Views [591]

WOW! Today is Sunday.  I have 5 more days of work left.  Forever! 

I have spent more than half my life working for the same company.  And now no matter what happens in the future I will not be working there ever again.  That's really hard to fathom and I'm sure it will take quite a bit of getting used to.  But it’s so bloody exciting!!!!

I'm getting to the point where I have to pinch myself to really believe I'm actually doing it. I've been dreaming and planning for so long that I've lulled myself into a sense that I will always be dreaming and planning.  Sometimes I think I have been waiting for this my whole life.  It's not just about going to South East Asia for a holiday.  It's about a conscious decision to change the way I live my life.  Forever!  When we get back the plan is to buy a van and travel around OZ indefinitely picking up work here and there.  So in 5 days a big big big life change starts!

Last night I laid all my clothes out on my bed.  Well not my bed, but one of the beds we've been sleeping in lately.  I'm starting to feel like a Fortitude Valley Hooker. We've been house hopping so much since we moved out of our place and I'm getting to the stage where I'm not sure who's bed I'm actually sleeping in from night to night.  Luckily I am blessed with wonderful friends who will always take me in and give me a cupboard and a spare drawer to sleep in..  It's one of the advantages of being hobbit sized.  You never take up much space.   Anyway  I laid my clothes out last night and worked out what I'm taking and what I'm storing.  I can't believe I'm finally at the "what I'm taking" stage.  I still think I have too much, so I will probably cull again a couple of times before I go.  Jen of course has two pairs of shorts, a couple of scruffy well worn t shirts that she couldn't possibly leave behind, and a toothbrush.  It's amazing how little she can take.  She's amazed by how many clothes I actually have. 

Today is a huge day. This our final day of being able to really finalise all the storage and giving away stuff. After next Friday we will be down to just one backpack and there is still a bit to do.  We fly off to see Jen's family for one last time next Saturday.  Then we come back to Brisbane for 2 days and then .......... we're goneski.

Tags: The Planning Phase

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.