Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

25 July, Friday

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 25 July 2008 | Views [192]

We left Allan and Dot's around 11.30am for our journey to Netherthong and our "holiday within a holiday". After having left the M62 and M60 motorways, we wended our way from just outside Manchester, through parts of Derbyshire and skirting the Peak District, with its breathtaking views, until we reached Holmfirth where we picked up some more supplies for the week. On our journey, we passed a sign that said "Broadbottom 1-1/2 miles" - we had see this many years ago and it always makes us smile. We also passed through Stretford (Greater Manchester) where L S Lowry was born - there is a floral tribute to him next to the road.

We had lunch at the Cafe at Penny Lane (strange name) and, whilst we were wandering about the town, having a look-see, we were "accosted" by a lady who was doing a survey of people visiting the area. We weren't very much use to her, having only just arrived, but she was very persistent so we obliged. She also told us, at great length, about her son-in-law who had lived in Australia (Newcastle, NSW)when he was on an exchange posting (he is a RAF pilot) and whom she had visited several times.

We eventually managed to get away and drove to David and Kate's house in Netherthong, where we're staying until next Friday. It seemed strange to walk into someone else's house and sort of take over!

Sam is joining us tomorrow until Tuesday, so we'll probably go to York on Monday.

It is so peaceful here, hidden away in this small village, and we're looking forward to a nice, relaxing time (and also watching some TV, which we've hardly seen at all since we arrived!!). Dave and Kate had kindly left us a bottle of red and also some 2 for 1 vouchers to York Minster!

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.