Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

12 July, Saturday

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 15 July 2008 | Views [274]

When Joan's house was being inspected by the purchasers, a wasp's nest was found in the roof. Apparently it had been gassed ages ago and was inert but the purchasers asked for it to be removed. Today a man came to remove it and it was an amazing size! It consisted of a wonderful engineered, huge oval ball made of woodchips and really was a work of art.

Today was market day in Bideford, so we walked into town and had a wander, after which we headed for Dartington Glass factory in Torrington. The Edinburgh Woollen Mills are also there, so we had a bit of a spend! Torrington is a famous Cavalier town, where the Battle of Great Torrington took place during the English Civil War in the 17th century.

Dartington crystal is fairly plain, but very lovely and we enjoyed browsing around (and also buying a couple of things).

We then went to Barnstaple to see where Ron's mum and Dad's ashes are scattered - a lovely, peaceful place, filled with roses.

After dnner, Jean treated us to a visit to THE CIRCUS!! We hadn't been for years and we were really excited. It was Billy Smart's Circus, which has been in operation since before we were born. The show has only humans, no animals and was fantastic - the performers were just remarkable, rather like Cirque de Soleil but not as slick. The clown was very funny and we had really marvellous time.

Before we went home to bed, we drove to Appledore and then to Westward Ho! which was named after the novel of the same name, by Charles Kingsley and which is the only place name containing an exclamation mark. We stayed there watching the sun slowly setting and took some photos of it setting over the water.

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.