Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

13 June, Friday

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 13 June 2008 | Views [189]

Off down memory lane again. We drove to North Wales, not on the motorway but via the scenic route. First stop was a place called Rhydymwyn where, as children, we used to camp. Strangely enough, both Ron’s and my families holidayed there separately before we met. The campsite is in a beautiful, tranquil Welsh valley, far from the maddening crowd and it hadn’t changed at all, apart from the fact that there are now new portable cabins instead of the train carriages, buses and tent sites of old and also an amenities block and laundry. As children, we didn’t realise how primitive it really was, we just enjoyed ourselves in the great outdoors. It was great reminiscing with Allan about our family holidays in the big tent and the wonderful walks we used to go on. We enjoyed ourselves so much that Allan and Dot are seriously thinking of buying a mobile home to put on site, for holidays! Ron’s parents had a caravan on site during the 60s, after we had met, and we used to visit them with Di. We met the present owner of the site, who is the son of the owner we knew in the 50s and 60s and apparently there has been a campsite there, in one form or another and owned by the same family, since the early 20s. It’s good to know there are still many unspoilt areas in England and Wales, even with such a huge population.

After leaving Rhydymwyn, we drove to Rhos, where we had lunch and a walk around the shops before heading to Llandudno (with its Great and Little Ormes – promontories on either side of the town). Llandudno used to be full of grand hotels and the buildings are still there, albeit a little less grand. We drove up to the top of the Great Orme which, I couldn’t believe, I, had never done before, although Ron has, many years ago.

One thing we all commented upon – we didn’t hear any Welsh accents! Most people seemed to have Liverpool accents so who knows where the Welshmen are hiding!

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.