Existing Member?

CASA RIDO Travel while you'll learn!

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

BRUNEI DARUSSALAM | Sunday, 20 March 2011 | Views [1502] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar (God is the Greatest, God is the Greatest)… repeatedly echoes along the wind as I ‘am about getting nearer to Bangar, Temburong District of Brunei Darussalam. Thanks for its rich ecotourism friendly environment which gives me a closer look of the true pristine forest and myriad species of flora and fauna while ferrying by water taxi boat along the Sungai Temburong River.

On reaching at the jetty with full of enthusiasm and curiosity, I was overwhelmed of its tranquility and cleanliness while the “Allahu Akbar” still repeatedly echoes into my ears. And without delay, I took a colorum taxi (privately cheap taxi) ride on my way to Jalan Batang Duri in Kampong Sibut, Amo.

In a distance, a smiley face of my local Iban friend seated underneath an acacia tree beside the Sungai Pandaraun River had delighted of my present! He had prepared me Iban dishes and beverages which I requested for a long time. Tasting the fantastic chicken in a bamboo, acerbic salad of a freshly cactus flower and the soporific homemade rice liquor satisfied my foreign tongue and my craved for hunger.

Shortly, we headed with gusto towards the spring river. We rode a "Temuai" (traditional longboat) first for about three minutes crossing the rapids to reach the other side of the riverbanks. Trekking onward thrilled me, because of the eerie sounds of different animals amidst the dark forest while breathing profoundly the aroma of the different species of trees. Wild pig which crosses our path almost hit me unexpectedly yet it did not stop me going forward. At last, we arrived in the spring river that is truly amazing by its enchanted scenery. So, I began praying in silence to drive away bad elements while drenching myself into the cold and clear water for a therapeutic bath. Feeling healed and fresh, we headed back rushing to the longboat for our final journey to the canopy located in Ulu Temburong.

Astounding and exciting while kayaking into the wild rapids whiles gazing at the undisturbed foliage that grows robustly along the river banks had brought me to life the Indiana Jones adventuring into the Amazon. Arriving at the jetty, I started my breathless Calvary walk at a 385-meter wooden canopy that leads to the foot to a 250-meter high of aluminum canopy walkway. Wondering myself how I was able to reach more than the 110-story Empire State in New York?

Furthermore, amusement and thrilled runs in my veins on top of the canopy walkway, as well as exhilarating on looking at its spectacular aerial views of the natural landscape, with its colorful forest that both forms fantastic nature into the horizon. Thus, awakens my inner soul to be contented with what I have now and embraced it as it last.

Since I live a life as I wish for and do the things I want, it is already good enough in the midst of a silhouette sky that makes me smile.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

Comments

1

Ritchie,
I wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your essay. Being from Nashville, Tennessee I will never be able to see the beauty,the sounds of this beautiful
place. The Amazon Jungle of the East, sounds magnificent and I get to visualize
all the wonders through your words and great writing. You are a very talented writer,
keep up the great work.

  Bill Jenkins Mar 26, 2011 6:43 AM

2

Thanks Billy for the comment.

  Ritchie Basilio Mar 26, 2011 5:17 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brunei Darussalam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.