Existing Member?

CASA RIDO Travel while you'll learn!

My arduous journey to the Philippines' Himalayas of the South - Mt Apo

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 15 January 2023 | Views [218]

https://youtu.be/EcZx8q9jvnY

Amidst the vibrant greenery of Bansalan, Davao del Sur, in a place called Sitio Balutakay, Puruk Pluto, something caught my attention. It was the lush and colorful spread of vegetable cultivation, a sight reminiscent of the landscapes I had seen in Changhua, Taiwan. The weather held promise as I embarked on a hike, curious about the journey ahead.

As we ascended, the once clear sky gradually darkened, casting a mysterious veil over parts of the mountain. Yet, nature had its own plans. Along the path, we encountered a group of horses, each carrying bundles of produce. The friendly farmers guiding them down the slope were a welcoming sight amidst the encroaching fog. The environment was both unfamiliar and inviting, dotted with blooming flowers that seemed to ease our uphill journey.

A pause at the first base offered a chance to savor a well-deserved lunch. The fog began to embrace our surroundings, creating an otherworldly ambiance. It was here that the adventure took on a more daring tone. The fog thickened, obscuring our path and urging us to move forward with only the sense of sound to guide us. The chirping of insects and the distant calls of birds formed a symphony as we continued our ascent.

Hours later, a hidden farm emerged, a haven of simplicity amidst the wilderness. A small store served as the heart of the sanctuary, where a humble family welcomed us with shy smiles. The mother and daughter observed our arrival, while the father tended to his cabbage patches. There was a serene aura, heightened by the presence of healthy animals.

Our journey resumed, taking us along steep and muddy trails. Crossing streams and navigating through the depths of the forest tested our determination. The thick mud seemed to slow us down, clinging to our shoes and proving to be a formidable adversary. But the symphony of nature's sounds persisted, offering a soothing backdrop as we pressed on.

A sense of triumph washed over us as we reached the summit after hours of relentless effort. The sight that greeted us was awe-inspiring—the magnificent Mt. Apo standing tall amidst a landscape painted in myriad colors. The exhilaration was undeniable, yet the journey wasn't without its challenges.

Descending to the crater, maneuvering steep cliffs with a rope and conquering my fear of heights added an extra layer of complexity to the adventure. The journey to the summit had been both physically and mentally demanding, but the reward was unparalleled.

As I sat in a cave that night, rain pouring outside, I reflected on the sacrifices that made such journeys possible. I thought of the farmers, the local porters, and the dedicated tourist guides. They made it their mission to ensure our adventure was memorable and safe. Their efforts were vital in creating an experience that transcended the beauty of nature.

Ultimately, this journey wasn't just about conquering a peak; it was about acknowledging the lives intertwined with the landscape. It was about recognizing the dedication and sacrifices that often go unnoticed. Amidst the breathtaking vistas and physical challenges, it was the stories of people that truly enriched the adventure.

Tags: mauntaineering, mt apo, philippine highest mountain, trekking

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.