Existing Member?

Steve and El go Latino Here we go, two little kiwis off to discover the South of America for 3 months. Come along for the ride.....

Jungle Juice

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 26 September 2009 | Views [1137] | Comments [4]

The adventure started with a precarious light aircraft ride past snowy mountains and onto a small piece of grass they call the airport.  Rurrenabaque is so warm and lush and green.  Pigs, horses, chickens and of course dogs run wild.  Alot of our time was spent in hammocks and cafe´s with straw thatched roofs.  After 2 days we took a 3 hour 4x4 into the jungle with Robin from England, Chrissy and Desiree from USA, Johnis from France and our local guide Billy. 

We journeyed down the amazon in a motorised canoe and before we even hopped in the boat we saw alligators and pink dolphins.  It was amazing.  We spent 3 days in the jungle and saw countless alligators, capycabara´s (looked like giant guinea pigs, largest rat in the worls but really cute), monkeys, dolphins, turtles and heaps of birds. 

We did a night boat ride to find alligators and they were absolutely everywhere.  They were hunting around our boat and it was really scarey.  Oh the serenity. 

We went for a 4 hour trek and hunted out a 2 metre Anaconda and each got a hold!  Billy then found a deadly cobra which was chomping on a frog and regurgitated it, was really vicious.  Got great footage of that.

Tried our skills at fishing for Pirahnas in the river.  Steve got 5 and I only got 2 crabs. 

Swam with the pink dolphins with alligators literally underneath and around us, was pretty surreal and we tried to make sure others were in a circle around us so they´d go first!

Absolutely loved our time in the jungle, best time so far.  Travelled a fun 23 hours yesterday and today from Rurrenabaque to Copacabana on the craziest road known to man.  It was unpaved the whole way, was a poor gravel and dirt road.  People died on the road the day before.  It took us 35 minutes to fly and 23 hours to bus, that tells you something.  Countless near misses as we hugged the cliffs, unscheduled stops during which a box of puppies got on and people stood in the aisles for hours.  Everyone just throws their rubbish out the window into the jungle which is crazy, anything goes.  We certainly met the locals :)

Missing our tour group, had so much fun with them and now going it alone until the next great set of travellers we meet.  Hard making friends then losing them so fast.

Have tried all sorts of interesting food, some really yum, some that doesn´t get near my palate, in places we would never have set foot in previously, good learning.  We´ve learnt you can´t be picky in Bolivia when you´re starving.

Good to hear the All Blacks won!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve the Alligator Hunter

Steve the Alligator Hunter

Comments

1

i'm sure that you're dying to hear of adventures from home...so yesterday i slept in, watched a french dvd, had a wee walk, then a nap, then church. you are not the only ones having crazy adventures :)

a wee bit jealous - so so glad that you guys are doing this, you'll have stories for a lifetime!

love ya, and miss you,
deb xx

  deb Sep 28, 2009 8:52 AM

2

The jungle sounds awesome. Scary but awesome. Definately a holiday luke would agree to embark on.
At least you know your true friends will still be back home eagerly awaiting your return after 3 months.
Love you guys

  Mari Sep 29, 2009 5:19 AM

3

OMG. LOVE IT
This is so cool! I saw some of Dave Burleys photos of a similar tour they took of Amazon. CRAZY! So would love to experience it sometime! Ahh you guys are crazy adventurers! Can't wait to see all the pics
XOXO

  Heidi Sep 29, 2009 5:41 AM

4

I'm soooo damn jealous - but also a teeny tiny bit happy for you guys to be having such a cool time.

  Caleb Oct 1, 2009 6:25 AM

About reidy

Church in Salta

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.