Existing Member?

Steve and El go Latino Here we go, two little kiwis off to discover the South of America for 3 months. Come along for the ride.....

The Wild Wild West

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 19 September 2009 | Views [642] | Comments [3]

Bolivia is crazy.  It´s the poorest country in South America and you can tell...  Have learnt about Bolivia´s history etc and how it became poor which is quite interesting given it is one of the most resource rich countries in South America.  Quite sad.

We crossed the border on foot in the early hours of Tuesday morning and somehow managed to get through customs without them finding you know what.  We jumped on a bus to Tupiza, southern Bolivia and got the trip of a lifetime.  We were the only foreigners on the bus and stuck out for being tall and white.  Steve made the mistake of drinking a gallon of water before boarding and found himself having to try to go to the toilet in our drink bottle on the bus while I was trying to shield him from fellow passengers.  It didn´t happen and he had to ask the bus driver to stop in stilted spanish.  Hilarious.  There were no paved roads and the bus literally made up its own path, driving through rivers, along gravel and dirt plains.  It was so funny.  We passed a bus that had tipped over and been abandoned.

We drove through the wilderness and then the bus would all of a sudden stop and someone would get out and just start walking in what was literally a desert - we couldn´t believe it and couldn´t see where they would possibly be walking to.

The surroundings here are so DRY.  Nothing seems to grow here.  If we ever see something green like a tree or grass (rare) we excitedly point it out (no it doesn´t take much).  The schools have dirt or concrete playing fields.

Have seen lots of small villages and houses in the middle of nowhere with no water or vegetation.  The houses look abandoned but they´re not. 

We stayed in the quieter Tupiza for 2 nights and went horse riding through the desert with a guide Luiz.  It was amazing.  Unfortunately for Steve my horse was the leader and it wouldn´t let him pass me.  Haha that exact thing happened when we went horseriding in Australia.

Most of the older ladies here wear very traditional clothes, with a colourful blanket wrapped around their shoulders in which they carry everything including children.  They have long plaits and wear bowler hats too!  Photo´s to come when we find another place to load them.

The people are different here - friendlier and much darker, with different facial features than Argentinian people.

There are lots of markets with fresh and rotten fruit and meat hanging in the head (you smell it before you see it) We found a restaurant that seemed safeish and ate there both nights. 

We are really high up - about 3800km above sea level and this makes you feel a bit dizzy and headachy.  We get breathless doing anything - Steve was even puffing after bending down to unplug the camera from the wall.  Really weird and makes you feel a bit unfit!  Tried Coca tea for the altitude but I couldn´t stomach it.  Steve got through most of his.

Guns are really prevalent here - just walked past two guards outside a shop with machine guns, pointing them out at the crowd, not down.

Have just finished a 14hr train ride and 3 hr bus ride to arrive in La Paz, capital of Bolivia.  Once again tooting and crazy driving abound.

Tomorrow we´re flying to the Amazon Jungle in Rurrenabaque for a 3 day tour, can´t wait.  Saw pink flamingos today!

Traditional Bolivian dress

Traditional Bolivian dress

Comments

1

Hey cul travelling stories - looks like I had better buy mum a section in Bolivia desert to go with her 1 on Phillip Island. have a good time in the Amazon - NO cutting down any trees!!

  dad Sep 19, 2009 8:37 AM

2

Love the stories!!! Keep them coming. Like Mari, I am travelling and adventuring vicariously through you! When I came to work this morning, CYF were out on the street with fire engines everywhere, guess someone was trying to burn something down as it didn't affect our office. Miss you lots and take care. xoxoxox

  Angela Sep 22, 2009 9:19 AM

3

Ok so I am a bit in tired lala land cause only JUST realised/remembered you guys were doing a blog!!! I now feel like I have caught up on all you have been up to and am no longer wondering why you have been avoiding replying to my emails HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Not really. Oh my gosh I feel like you are on another planet with all the awesome stuff you are doing...its like you are on planet 'what we see aat the movies'. Love and miss you a whole HEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saz

  Sazamataz Sep 23, 2009 12:29 PM

About reidy

Church in Salta

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.