Existing Member?

Steve and El go Latino Here we go, two little kiwis off to discover the South of America for 3 months. Come along for the ride.....

Magical Machu Picchu

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 30 October 2009 | Views [797] | Comments [4]

We made it!  We took a 1 1/2 hr taxi ride, then a night train ride to Aguas Calliente in preparation for the big event.  Babadaba.


Usually you get accustomed to smells and tend not to notice them after a while, but we stayed in a hostel that smelt worse and worse as the night wore on.  When we first arrived it smelt really musty and damp, the air was a bit thick, then we started to smell urine which got stronger and stronger to the point that we had to take sleeping pills to knock ourselves out phewwww.


We got up at 5am (actually the wees woke us up) and lined up with hundreds of other tourists to board the buses up to Machu Pichu.  We weaved up the mountain in the dawn light wondering whether it would be overrated or worth its accolades.


When we arrived at the village, we were in the clouds and could not see a thing for 2 hours so Steve decided to sleep at Machu Picchu - I don´t know if that was the best use of our money, however the clouds slowly parted and we let out a little gasp as the Inca village appeared before us.  It was magical and definately not overrated.

We spent about 7 hours exploring the village and its surroundings.  It took our breath away, set so high up in the clouds with beautiful mountain hills all around it.

Glad we persevered...is something we will always remember.... good old MP

Success!

Success!

Comments

1

Wow, you finally made it. Glad to hear and see it was all worth it in the end. Lots of stories to be told on your return. Hope you feeling better Eloise, I see Steve is fitting in well with the culture there, by wearing the local rugby jersey :) Take care guys. Blessing, Dave and Bridget

  Dave J Oct 30, 2009 9:16 PM

2

Well done,

I can't believe you got a photo at one of tHE world's most famous tourist sites with no one else in the photo - that's a miracle.

Please come home now.

  Caleb Oct 31, 2009 8:53 AM

3

You could have tried your ear plugs in your nostrils!!!!????? Sounds like an easier way to get to Machu Pichu than your first attempt.What a fabulous photo. Where are you off to next?

  Fiona Reid Nov 1, 2009 7:24 PM

4

Hi Fiona :) Were at Iguazu falls, on the border of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay at the moment and off to Brazil in the next couple of days, thanks for the encouragement! Feeling pretty great xxx Steve and El

  reidy Nov 3, 2009 8:50 AM

About reidy

Church in Salta

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.