Existing Member?

Steve and El go Latino Here we go, two little kiwis off to discover the South of America for 3 months. Come along for the ride.....

South American Surgery!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 26 October 2009 | Views [826] | Comments [7]

Öther appropriate titles: 1. Machu Picchu Anti Climax   2. You have got to be kidding   3. No, you really have to be kidding   4. 3rd world slashing

Okay so here the story goes.  The one place you have to go when visiting South America is Machu Pïcchu in Peru, its the rules, everyone knows it.

We were so excited and after our volunteering started our 5 day trek through the mountains at 4am.  We were with a group of 14 other tourists from Germany, Ireland, Sweden etc, a real nice melting pot "what we need...".

We trekked through mountains, passes, under snow capped peaks and through the jungle.  The scenery was amazing and so diverse from day to day.  On our first night we camped under snow capped peaks and it was freezing.  Woken up with a steaming hot coca tea in our tents at 5.30 am for the second leg, the hardest part of the journey.  4 gruelling hours of straight uphill climbing at sub zero temperatures, arriving triumphiantly at the peak of 4800 metres to celebrate with a very quick photo before moving to warmer ground. 

We had a gorgeous team of donkeys faithfully carrying our packs and cooking equipment.  It took all my decorum to not throw myself onto one of them as they trotted past with their clippety cloppety ease.

We walked between 6 and 9 hours a day at a pace that said we were serious about getting to that beautiful Machu Picchu on day 5.  In the evenings we were so exhausted from the days excertion we´d have "happy hour" which was popcorn dotted with animal shaped biscuits, dinner, a quick game of cards then bed in those comfy tents.  Feeling like true adventurers discovering the Inca valleys and villages for the first time.

I had an uncomfortable stomach since before we started the trek but thought it was just a remnant of 6 earlier days of diarrhoea, yes 6.  My stomach started getting sorer and sorer but there were literally no options except to keet going, we were so far from civilisation or any sort of roads.  Ön day 3 I had to walk holding my stomach at a snails pace (disappointing Steve as we really wanted to be leading that pack of foreigners).  When we FINALLY got to our campsite 6 hours later I lay down in our tent and didn´t move for 17 hours.  I don´t know what happened during that time except I had a super duper fever.  The next morning we went to the town doctor who told me I had Selmonella food poisoning and a Urine infection and to drink lots of gatorade.  The guides took steve and I on a bus then a train and we got to Aguas Calliente, the home of Machu Picchu later that evening, day 4. 

The most exciting day loomed ahead of us.  The plan was to get up at 4am, walk 1 1/2 hours up a hill, then tada.... Machu Picchu. 

My naughty tummy had other plans though.  The pains got a bit unbearable.  Steve got another Doctor who told me in broken english not to move and that we had to return to Cusco immediately "for your life".  It seemed like a cruel joke and we didn´t know whether to cry out of fear or because we were so close to Macchu Pichu and had to leave!!!!!!!  Knew God was close though and that things would work out as they always do.

The Doctor took us for a 2 hour train ride, drip in hand, then an ambulance picked us up for a 1 1/2 hour drive to the clinic.  When I say ambulance I mean 4 wheel drive with a little sticker on the windscreen.  We arrived at 1.30am and I got surgery the next morning to remove my appendix.

Was quite hilarious because we had to communicate through limited language skills on both sides.  Felt very far from home at that point! I couldn´t ask how long it would take, if I would be okay, how big they would cut etc, just had to trust!  Praise God He was looking after me.  Spent 6 days in Hospital and got out yesterday.

Steve took amazing care of me and slept of the tiny couch beside me for 5 nights.

The most gutting thing is that it took up a week of our precious time and we now have to pay a heck of a lot of money all over again to go back to Macchu Pichu as everything was prepaid and non refundable.

I felt quite bitter toward the mountain and Inka village, and didn´t want to return just to make a point but have since gotten over myself with Steve´s not so gentle prompting and we are going back tomorrow once my stitches are out.  Will update with some hopefully splendid photos of it.....or else :)

My sick honey

My sick honey

Comments

1

Hey Eloise and Stevo, what an amazing story you told just now. So close to Machu Picchu, and yet so far from civilization. Glad to hear you are okay now Eloise, and that your Kiwi determination is working strongly. Stay safe and healthy this time around, look forward to reading about you successfully making it to Machu Picchu. Enjoy the time there. Dave & Bridget

  Dave J Oct 26, 2009 8:47 AM

2

Crazy crackers. Sounds like a movie! SO hard out! Enjoy the rest of your trip. We're missing you guys over here! Can't wait to have a story telling night with photos when you're back x

  Heidi Oct 27, 2009 6:20 AM

3

Hi guys,

What an amazing story! So pleased that you are o.k. Eloise. Reminds me of my 'ectopic pregnancy' in the backblocks of Kawhia and diagnosed as a urinary track infection and stomach complaint! 2 weeks later they told Graeme I might be on the way out.

  marilyn and graeme meyer Oct 27, 2009 6:34 AM

4

You're a fabulous writer you could turn it into the intrepid journeys of Steve and El. Has all the drama to make it a great show. So good to know you're alive and well.

  Mari Oct 27, 2009 1:42 PM

5

Phew, soooo glad you are in God's Hands. Are you SURE you're up to that much physical exersion so soon after your op? I know it was laperoscopic surgery, but they still go through the muscle! You are HARD OUT :O)

  Rob and Fiona Oct 27, 2009 4:35 PM

6

Crazy cats! You guys are going to be able to write a travel book after this! Gald everything is ok though. Keep well and good luck on the repeat climb. Try not to grumble too much Steve. Can't wait to see you guys. El, e-mailed you regarding Christmas Gifts for Kids, sorry, life back here keeps ticking over though. Fire me an e-mail with who we should contact to get things going for 2009. Bless you guys, peace. Joseph.

  Joseph Oct 28, 2009 12:31 PM

7

So glad to hear you are safe and well now. Thinking of you guys and love the stories.

  Angela Oct 28, 2009 12:52 PM

About reidy

Church in Salta

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.