Existing Member?

Family Travels

Mickey's a Mouse, Pluto's a Dog. What's Goofy?

BELIZE | Monday, 25 August 2008 | Views [878]

Playing cards on the 2nd story palapa shack on Caye Caulker.

Playing cards on the 2nd story palapa shack on Caye Caulker.

That profound question was raised by the boys around the campfire in "Stand By Me." It's right up there with the scene in "Clerks" in which they debate the politics of using independent contractors in the building of the Death Star.

One of the great things about family travel is that we've been spending 24 hours a day together for the last 3 weeks, something we never do at home. This has led to a number of serious debates between the other three in the family about various aspects of Harry Potter. Things like which spell is more powerful. Whenever they get into it, I remind them that Harry Potter in FICTION, with my shorthand comment, "What's Goofy?"

Just today over lunch, they had decided that I would be in Hufflepuff, with Elena saying I like to help people. That sounded complimentary. Then they turned their attention to Jarrett, reviewed which house he should be in, and the suggestion of Hufflepuff came up for him too. Elena shot that down, saying that Jarrett's "too smart" to be in Hufflepuff . . .

As I collapsed in defeat with Lori splitting a gut laughing, Elena tried to dig her way out of that to no avail. After several minutes of more serious debate about Jarrett, then Elena and finally Lori, this time Lori was disqualified from being in Hufflepuff because she too was "too smart."

So, you see, it's been tough being the only non-Harry Potter reader in this family. Spending this much time together can bring out a mean streak in these areas, some of the most profound issues facing humanity today.

About rarakaki

Rod and Lori in Tibet, 1994.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.