Existing Member?

Family Travels

Elena's Snorkeling Experience

BELIZE | Sunday, 24 August 2008 | Views [1595] | Comments [1]

Jarrett and Elena snorkeling at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Photo by our guide, Carlos Ayala.

Jarrett and Elena snorkeling at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Photo by our guide, Carlos Ayala.

Yesterday, we went snorkeling with a man named Carlos. We stopped at three different spots to swim. My favorite was the first stop. We saw turtles, a moray eel, and lots of fish. The fish I liked best was a black one with blue spots that seemed to glitter and shine in the sun.

The eel was kind of scary. Carlos got him to come out by poking a stick into its hole. Its head and body came out and Carlos had to push Jarrett and me out of the way because we had drifted too close.

On the third trip, we got to see a manatee and I touched a sting ray (its stinger was missing so it was safe). The sting ray's skin felt really soft and squishy. We also saw a big school of fish that were like the kind in Finding Nemo. (See photo in gallery.) Except these ones didn't form pictures!

That day was my first real snorkeling adventure because I never liked the feel of just breathing through my mouth. But I had practiced the day before and got over my fears. The whole thing was a lot of fun and and a very good first experience!

Comments

1

Elena, you and your brother are beautiful, smart, and brave. I think I know what kind of parents you have.

  Allen Aug 27, 2008 10:17 AM

About rarakaki

Rod and Lori in Tibet, 1994.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.