Existing Member?

La vida loca! Wished you were there? We did, so here we are on our big adventure! A year in central America, to make sense of this vida loca...

Un-encumbering is harder than you think...

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 2 April 2008 | Views [800]

Its official, we're outta here!

Its official, we're outta here!

So, only six weeks 'til we leave, and under a month of work left.

Let the panic commence!  Well, slight exaggeration, but it is starting to get a bit serious now.  We're well and truly into the 'do it now, or it doesn't get done' period.  Which means that I now start to join Rachel in waking up in the morning with a list of five things in my head that I really have to get done today.  When I say 'I now join Rachel' its because (as the better half will tell you) it takes until nearly the last minute to get me out of my normal-running Danlaidback mode into something approaching urgency.  Of course, Rachel's been losing sleep about the whole thing for months.  I like to think that if we ever have children they'll get a blend of styles that'll approximate to a normal person.

Anyway, there's already a load of stuff done.  Rental agent is sorted, and the house is on the market (no takers yet), travel insurance got (muchos wonga), air tickets bought, spanish lessons in Costa Rica booked, 3 month initial internship at Rancho Mastatal sorted, numerous injections against nasty diseases arranged (and partially done - ouch), tax consultant on board (you know you're grown up when you need one of them. Or not), numerous 'sometime' jobs done/being done in the houses and garden (like holes in roofs, new fences, pumps for showers, patching paint work), removals and storage arranged, solicitors contacted, and a surprising amount of kit bought by Rachel over the last few months (and she's getting to be a bit of a whizz at it - which is worrying).

Still got to get our bags (we're going with the whole 40-50 litre thing, as recommended by all those travel websites we've been reading - which means 3 changes of clothes for 12 months!), download all the music I want onto the iPOD (our one luxury item - which'll probably mean that it'll get stolen/lost in the first two days, especially as i'll have spent hours deliberating on what tracks to fit onto it and which to leave behind), set up some new bank accounts (Nationwide - they don't charge you for overseas transactions unlike my current bank that makes you weep every time you touch your bank card...), oh, and that small matter of packing up all our inummerable possessions that we both seem to have acquired since we did the whole house ownership thing.

And I wonder why inertia stops people from chucking it all in and buggering off around the world...

Tags: pre-trip, preparations

About rachel_and_daniel

Argh!  Well, maybe not pirates this time, but dig the colour-coordinated bandanas!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.