Existing Member?

My travels

Agra the Taj Mahal and the Fort

INDIA | Thursday, 19 March 2009 | Views [500]

 It was really a struggle to get out of bed early the next day, but rise early we must to avoid the crowds at the Taj Mahal. After walking 2 minutes to the East gate (stopping on the way for a much needed caffeine boost!) we arrived inside the gardens of the Taj. It was barely 7am and the morning mist was just leaving. The gardens were sublime, calm and with a warm glow from the young sun of the approaching day. We walked slowly around the gardens, enjoying the reflection of the Taj in the lovely water ways, savouring the beauty of the place before approaching the Taj itself. To go on the Taj itself you must first remove your shoes. It was a beautiful sensation to walk around on the cool and smooth marble in bare feet. The inside of the Taj itself was not that amazing but the building itself is, of course, very grand and the detail of the carving and the inlay is just amazing. The inside the mosque next to the Taj was beautifully decorated with fine white designs of flowers on red stone.

In the afternoon, before we took the train for Udaipur, we visited the Agra fort. At the beginning we were not very enthusiastic to go there, it was just to fill the afternoon, but once inside we were really surprised by the scale of the buildings and the detail. Each area was really different. At the beginning we walked through a fortification, with imposing red sandstone building. After we entered the palace area, we had a magnificence view of the river and the Taj Mahal, with courtyards with green gardens and lots of flowers. We saw the black throne of the Taj (Shah jahan (Shah jagan ;) )) and opposite was a white throne. The famous Shish Mahal (room of mirrors) was closed but we looked through the glass and saw thousands of little mirrors stuck to the walls reflecting the sun light. Through a little door we entered the hall of public audiences where the emperor would listen to his people on his little balcony. We wanted to visit the mosque of the fort but unfortunately it was closed, we could only visit the tiny mosque next door. All around the fort there was a moat, which centuries ago would have been filled with hungry crocodiles to keep out invaders. This fort was built by X(look in internet)X Akbar. Shah Jahan, his grand son built the Taj Mahal.

We passed the end of the afternoon to wait the train and of course it was 30 minutes late.

In Agra we had a really nice time. It was not as busy as we thought it would be, but we the place absolutely stank, not just a bad smell but a toxic gas in which you don’t want to breathe because it makes you cough.

 

About qui001


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.