Existing Member?

My travels

Udaipur

INDIA | Saturday, 21 March 2009 | Views [652]

We arrived in Udaipur after an overnight train and found a really nice tuc-tuc driver when we came out the station. He advised us to go to one of his friends places (of course), a haveli (old style house with a courtyard) guest house that looked out onto the water. The building had white washed stone walls painted with blue flowers in places. Our room had three windows one with a lovely window seat looking out towards the main town, the bathing Ghats and the lake. Upstairs there was a lovely terrace with tables and chairs and also some huge bed-like structures filled with pillows where we spent many nice hours chilling out, placing dice games or watching the James Bond movie, Octapussy that was filmed here in Udaipur. We were very tired from our long journey so the first day in Udaipur was a dedicated “chill out day”. We spent most of our time upstairs on the roof terrace or having a little nap. We also went for a walk around town which became longer than we expected as we got totally lost in the small winding cobbled streets of the town. At the same time the sky started to become grey then dark, a little strom was coming on Udaipur (1st day in the desert and it’s raining …). We were asking our way to people but the information they gave to us were never really clear, we were just going in circles under the rain. At the end we managed to find the way to the bridge that we were looking so hard to find. We came back to the hotel sitting on the roof top restaurant playing dice drinking beer while the storm raged around us. Then we just crashed until the next day.

The next morning we went to do a boat ride around the lake, we could see the Lake Palace (Palace in the James Bond movie Octopussy), the Jagmadir Palace and of the City Palace from close up and we took a few photos of these grand buildings. After that and paying to get inside the City Palace and the hotel inside we could reach the marble pool (also in Octopussy) of the hotel for the price of 300RPS each. We have a swim and relax in this nice posh and expensive (169 RPS instead of 25 RPS for a can of pespi) location. After backing in the sun we decided to visit the museum of the City palace net door. This palace it’s the biggest palace of Rajasthan. Luckily there were signs to show us the way around because it look like a labyrinth of corridors, courtyard and stairs. We saw many rooms with different colours, mirrors, glass, painting etc… at the end our favourite was a quite courtyard hidden on the top floor. The night at the hotel we watch the James Bond movies Octopussy (because neither of us had seen it), and we could see in the movie all the places we had visited during the day.

Another last start the next day found us still at the hotel at midday. We then set out to take some photos of an unexplored part of town then we set off to the ayudervic treatment centre for a vigorous Indian head massage followed shortly by a piece of cake. Next we went to a grand old haveli (old house with courtyard) and associated museum. There, we saw the largest turban in the world!!!! It was pretty huge, a little saggy and very pink! As haveli’s are traditionally associated with performing arts, later that day we went to see a Rajasthani folk dance show held in one of the courtyards. This was amazing!!! the first act was a traditional dance where two girls, covered in mini symbols made rhythms by clashing together the symbols on their toes, legs, arm and fingers. the second act was no less skilful, a girl performed a dance involving much spinning whilst balancing a metal pot with fire on her head. the third act was a more classic solo performance of a gay folk dance. Fourth was a puppet show where the puppeteer had us all laughing as the puppet gigged about throwing and catching his own head. Sixth was a fun folk dance performed by six women in brightly covered dresses and last of all, and le final, was the most impressive. A small squat lady balanced ten pots on her head as she moved around the dance floor performing various tricks such as picking up a scarf from the floor and dancing on (and with!) a metal plate. It was a great show, we really enjoy it.

The next day we went to the largest fort in Asia (it is possible to see it from space), in the town of Chittorgarh. This fort was built in the 8th century and has been taken only 3 times in history. The first time it was taken by the king of Delhi because he wanted the beautiful wife of the king’s uncle, Padmini. The second time it was the sultan of Gujarat who took the fort to increase his territory. The third and last time was X(look in internet)X Akbar. After each defeat all the women committed juahar (Need to search on internet) it means 13 000 women and the same of men plus all the soldiers died during the fight, even the beautiful Padmini committed jauhar after the siege. This fort is an amazing building 4km long and 1,5km wide. In the middle there is a high tower on which you can see all the area around the fort, we could really imagine the sentinel at the top of the tower looking around for an enemy coming. Inside the fort there are 3 temples on each side of the fort, from the ruins of which we could easily imagine the town and lots of gardens with a few lakes that the government is renovating. People still live inside the fort, at the entry there are the few road bordered with houses and shops.

Our driver for the day was really cool, his name was Rais. He was always ready for a chat and he was keen to learn a few new French phrases from Marc. We had some really fun Indian music on the way there and back, the kind that makes you tap your leg and you can’t help it! Rais was telling us about his boss – the guy who owned the hotel. He makes a lot of money from his venture and is building a new hotel nearby. Rais is paid a salary monthly of 2500 rupees (about 42 euros), although the cost for us to hire his driving services for the day was 1500 rupees, which is more than half his salary! So his boss certainly makes a tidy profit, but as Rais said, there are not many good jobs in India “so what to do?”. He prefers to spend his money and “live well, dress nicely, dress my daughter nicely- not dirty clothes- and enjoy the life otherwise what do you have? Nothing”.

After a hot day in the sun we went for lunch in an AC restaurant and afterwards our cool driver took us to a local sweetshop to eat rassamali (milk puddings in milk sauce) and rassgul (a very sticky sweet Rajasthani dessert). After this little sweet break Rais wanted us to meet his sister who lives in Chittorgarh, and then we headed back Udaipur. That night we wanted to chill out in front of another movie but some tourists had already booked the TV to watch Octopussy so we saw it a second time.

The next day we left Udaipur for our next destination and it was Rais our taxi driverJ for a second time.

 

About qui001


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.