Existing Member?

RTW 08/09

To Belem and Beyond

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 10 March 2009 | Views [582]

After Carnival I travelled by the usual means of transport, on the bus to Recife and Olinda.

I decided to stay in Olinda as according to the guide books and travellers in the know it is a lot more attractive than its very large neighbour Recife and so it is. UNESCO must like towns with tiny cobbled streets and multi coloured cute little houses as this is also a World Heritage site.

I stayed in Olinda for two days wandering aimlessly around the streets, relaxing by the pool at the hostel and taking advantage of their cheaper than most pay by the kilo buffet. Pay by the kilo is very popular here in Brazil and I usually treat it as an all you can eat.

As Olinda also had a Carnival and I arrived a couple of days after it finished the town was really quite. But on Saturday morning just before 12 I heard the sounds of drums and music so I went to investigate and ended up following a group of party people to a local hall and although it was 30 reals to get in they didn’t charge.

The weather is very bad here at the moment and most days it rains very heavy for long periods but it is still warm

From Olinda I travelled further north to Fortaleza. The surrounding areas are blessed with some of the best beaches in South America so I’m told but as the weather was so bad I got to see only a couple.

After another 27 hour on the bus and I made it to Belem, the main port at the mouth of the Amazon River.

I met Julie from France on the bus and we decided to find accommodation when we got to Belem. We ended up staying in Hotel Fortaleza which I would highly not recommend; it was cheap but not very cheerful. The little old lady that owned the hostel was seriously grumpy and would totally ignore us, which was soon reciprocated.

I also noticed that there were fewer mosquitoes around when she was in the vicinity.

Nothing much happens here on Sunday and most businesses are closed apart from some markets and museums which we took the opportunity to visit.

On Monday morning it was off to find out information about getting the boat to Manaus. We visited two agencies offering much the same packages but as the guide books and a little research on the internet warns you’re guaranteed a different story from each agency.

We decided to go with the second agency that we visited, Amazon Star as their office was much nicer, they eventually matched the price that the first agency offered and it was raining outside J

I know some people that follow this blog are off to South America soon and for that reason I have included some more info at the end of this blog when getting the boat from Belem to Manaus and vice versa.

After booking the boat it was off to the markets to find a hammock and as in most places in south America all shops selling the same products are usually in the same street, which is great as a customer as you can easily bargin between the shops or stalls without having too far to go.

There where four recommended hammock shops right beside each other and as Julie wanted to buy 5 hammocks, some as presents, she went on a 1hour bargain hunt which involved me holding up many hammocks and getting very bored.

I was much more easily pleased and chose a cheap green hammock to be my back breaking buddy for the 5day trip to Manaus. The rest of the day was spent buying supplies, packing and we made a visit to the cinema.

The next morning we got a taxi to the docks with another Brazilian from the hotel that was also going to Manaus.

We got to the boat at 10am and found a place to hang our hammocks but it was clear that some people had stayed the night on the boat and the hammock deck was pretty full even at this early stage of the day.  

We returned to the boat at 3pm after getting our last internet fix for 5days and our backpacks.

We were due to depart at 6pm but the boat was still been loaded right up to our eventual departure at 8 pm.

The main produce that was loaded on the boat during the day was flour, pet foods, hundreds of boxes of tomatoes, toilet roll and school desks.

Someone said that there were also pallets of vodka onboard but they were well hidden, probably in among the thousands of tomatoes on the lower deck.

I had a really nice spot for my hammock and was relaxing and getting to know some of the locals and the backpackers on the boat when a local and his wife and three kids started hanging up their hammocks around me. Mammy planted herself to my right, daddy on my left and a smaller hammock across the top of my hammock for one of the kids. They had three girls, one was about 6months, one was around two years old and the other was four.

The first evening was spent in the bar on the top deck, actually everyday was spent there, having a few beers and playing cards.

When I returned to my hammock around 11pm I had to crawl under a line of hammocks to get to mine. I squeezed into my hammock in between mum and dad. Mum had the baby in her hammock and Dad had the older girl in his hammock while the two year swung like a pendulum above my head.It was so uncomfortable and I was afraid to move as I didn’t want to wake the baby

Every time the pendulum baby would wake up which was every ten minutes Dad would give her a push and send her on her way again.

I lasted about two hours and couldn’t take anymore. I went for a walk on the deck and watched with interest every time the captain would put on the spotlight to scan the water infront and the jungle around us. 

I went back to my cramped sleeping quarters and got an hours sleep before everyone got up at 7am for the very exciting breakfast of a cup of coffee with a bread roll and a choice of butter or no butter.

This time of the morning is the best time to spot some wild life so I spent sometime gazing into the trees and jungle to see if I could spot anything.

Some people spotted some of the pink dolphins which are only found on the Amazon but I was unlucky this time.

The first full day on the boat was filled with making new friends, with the locals and the gringos.

The nations represented on the boat other than the many Brazilians where Ireland of course, England, Scotland, Australia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, France, Spain and the USA.

On the second and third day we were kept entertained by the locals that live along the river as they would come out in their canoes as the boat passed by.

I think some of the ships and boat that pass must throw out supplies to the locals as a lot of canoes would come out as if they were waiting for something to be offloaded into the river.

Some of the kids would paddled out and catch the waves that the boat created as it passed for fun and others would use a long iron rod with a hook on the end to attach themselves to the boat and hop aboard.

As they hooked on to the tyres along the side of the boat the canoe would be yanked forward and if there was someone at the back of the canoe they would get a good soaking.

It was mostly kids that would board the boat and they would be selling shrimps and fruits from the jungle before unhooking, some an hour later and heading back down stream to their homes.

Of course some of the less experienced kids would be desperately attempting to hook on and if they missed on their first attempt they would have another go before the boat passed, but some just didn’t make it close enough to latch on but they took it all in good spirits and would get a big cheer from us.

One boy would was maybe 10 years old and two girls around the same age boarded for about an hour. When they were unhooking their canoe the boy fell in and the two girls went off to rescue him, we all got a good laugh after he was successfully rescued a couple if minutes later.

I was surprised at the amount of homes and people that live along the river and even more surprised to see large developed towns at various points enroute to Manaus. I expected just to see non stop Jungle for the 5days.

Back in hammock class I swapped places with Dad and he moved his Hammock beside his wife. I was thinking that this would be the solution to my sleep problem. It gave everyone else a good laugh when I explained my hammock situation and of course I had to pose for photos surrounded by my new family :-)

The pictures don’t really do justice as how cramped and close the hammocks actually where.

I arrived back to my hammock on the second night, very tired as I didn’t get much sleep the previous night. I also organised my hammock so that it was higher than Mum and Dads hammock which meant that I was almost at the same height as pendulum baby.

I hopped in and tried a few positions to make myself comfortable but without success. As I lay there I got a whiff of something not very pleasing to my sense of smell and realised that the pendulum brat had peed in her hammock, thankfully she didn’t pee the night before or it would have been baby overboard.

She was very restless and kept waking up and as Mum and Dad where sleeping I would give her a push now and again which helped to settle her.

Soon that wasn’t enough and as she thought I was her Dad she made a couple of attempts to climb into my hammock.

On top of it all she had taken off her probably soaked pyjamas and was just about to land herself in my hammock when I pulled my hammock out of her way.

She disappeared into the night and landed safely in beside her Mum and sister in the hammock below, while I was killing myself laughing above.

The older sister replaced the pendulum baby and I moved to the other side to get away from the smell which meant my ass was hovering above Mum.

After a few head butts and a baby rescue, as when Mum was taking the pendulum to the toilet, the baby had woke up and nearly fell out of the hammock, I decided to go walkabout again and accept the fact I wasn’t going to get any sleep again.

Thankfully the rest of the nights on the boat were different and I managed about 6 hours sleep per night. As we continued up the Amazon people would move their hammocks to better spots as space was freed up by people getting off the boat at the various stops.

Another night the boat was infested with Locusts which was funny as people would frantically jump around or let out a scream trying to offload a nice big locust which would join them in their hammocks.

Thankfully we didn’t have any mosquito problems as the boat was too fast for them and we weren’t close enough to the shore for them to get onboard

On the third day the two engines cut out and the flow of the river had carried up back down stream and the boat ended up stranded up against the shore with a nice big tree  into the side of the boat.

We did get to see a baby anaconda which thankfully was in another tree a safe distance from the boat. No damage was caused and a passing tug boat with a platform full of containers pulled us out and we got on our way again but we were on one engine for the rest of the journey.

There was also two Brazilian who showed a few of the gringos how to make bracelets and then within a couple of days a bracelet making craze had swept away the boredom and a production line had taken over in the bar.

We were suppose to dock in Manaus on the Sunday evening but been on one engine that changed and the captain announced that it would be early on Monday morning.

About 3am on Monday morning we could see Manaus in the distance when the other engine finally had enough and gave in. So the final couple of miles we had to get a tow. Everyone stayed on the boat for the rest of the night as the breakfast was too good to miss :-)

Boat info from Belem to Manaus:

The boat that we went on was the N/M Santarem, which according to some blogs on the internet was a good boat and this fortunately turned out to be the case. Always good to google the name of the boat and read some reviews.

1st agency started at 200 for the aircon hammock deck on the boat or 600 for a cabin which sleeps two.

2nd agency  started at 230 for the aircon hammock deck or 660 for a cabin.

By the time we left the 1st agency the aircon hammock deck was 180.

When we told Amazon Star this they dropped to the same price after a phone call to the boss and the reason was that it was the low season.

The 1st agency said that we could sleep on the boat the night before and although food wasn’t included in the price all meals would cost 5 reals apart from breakfast which was free.

Amazon Star said that only people staying in the cabin had access to the boat the night before which turned out to be false as some people where staying onboard two nights before the boat departed.

Food according to this agency was 5reals for breakfast and 10 for lunch and 10 for dinner. The 1st agency was correct on the food prices.

Food on our boat was always rice, pasta and meat everyday for lunch and dinner.

Amazon Star can be found at Rua Henrique Gurjão, 208 - Belém - PA

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.