Existing Member?

Wonderings of a Wanderer eandering through foreign lands, whose people speak in tongues unknown... I seek to learn and understand cultures, customs not my own… I yearn to learn, to see, expand, my knowledge as I wander, roam… To visit places, see first-hand the lands tha

Sunbaking in Mancora

PERU | Sunday, 25 March 2007 | Views [605] | Comments [1]

Hi all!  Well... Cuenca was a quick visit... A nicer city than Quito but I enjoyed Baños more.  Smaller, more quaint... closer to the countryside.  In Cuenca we frequented the local mall where the manager gave us free movie tickets so that we would keep coming back... we didn´t have the heart to tell him that we´d be leaving the next day but the boys really paid their tickets back when they went drinking that night!  I went to see The Illusionist with Cecil.  It was enjoyable and the music reminded me of Powerquatsi (sp?).

We caught a bus from Cuenca and about 5 hours later (and one really quick 2 second dunny run at a petrol station) we made it to the border of Ecuador.  That´s where all the people on the bus got off to get special stamps in our passports etc... and then the mad rush to get back on the bus.  Then a 15 minute drive through no man´s land and then we arrived at Huaquilles where we took all our packs and walked about 5 blocks in the hot sun to a good place to get a van.  We then drove to the customs place where we all piled out for more stamps in our passports (and more forms to complete) before piling back in the van for a trip of 3 hours more.
Not far from our destination we stopped and the drivers reorganised our bags on the roof, which we thought was very nice of them.  Then we stopped at customs where they checked under the vehicle, inside and on the top.  We all piled out (don´t argue with armed men!).  Turns out our drivers were trying to smuggle gas into Peru where it is more expensive... so three cylinders were taken off them (that´s why they cared about our bags so much, bless them) but that was it.  Nothing was said and we all drove off... merry to Mancora.

Just found a really good vegetarian restaurant and met some more Aussies.  We might go dancing tonight and tomorrow evening we catch the night bus to Trujillo.  After that... we will head to Lima.

Keep well all and hope you are creating great realities!!

Mez

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

MWAH!

  Lori Mar 27, 2007 7:08 PM

About pistachio_tumbleweed

Townsville skies... manipulated

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.