Existing Member?

Wonderings of a Wanderer eandering through foreign lands, whose people speak in tongues unknown... I seek to learn and understand cultures, customs not my own… I yearn to learn, to see, expand, my knowledge as I wander, roam… To visit places, see first-hand the lands tha

Amazonian Tarantulas and thermal hot springs

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 20 March 2007 | Views [540] | Comments [1]

Hola all... the jungle was excellent... it had all one would expect.  We caught a small plane from Quito and flew for about 45 minutes to Coca where we jumped into the back of some utes for a short ride to the Napo River.  There we hopped on some motorized long boats (yes, complete with life jackets) and sped our way towards the jungle.  We arrived 2 hours later at a little beach where we walked slippery, mossy boardwalks to a small stream where a canoe awaited us.  From there we were taken to a lake and pulled in to our new home for the next three nights.

La Selva lodge was very nice, very rustic and had great meals.  Really isolated and right in the jungle by this lake complete with Piranhas (two types)and caiman which we were assured would only nibble us if they ran out of their plentiful food supply.

We climbed 35 metres up a kapok tree (there was a well-built ladder etc) and watched birds from the top.  We checked out a neighbouring lagoon by canoe and were told not to swim in this lagoon due to the electric eels.

A night walk revealed many tarantulas which got the girls feeling pretty creepy..

Must go, desayuno calls.  We are now in Baños and are planning a bike ride and some hot soaks near the volcano...

Keep well all!  Pictures to follow, sometime soon I hope!

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Miss you! Love you! Glad you're having such an amazing time. Keep up the writing when you get the chance because its really well written and makes us want to travel too!!

Go Pistachio Go! MWAH!

  Lozgobbleblissbomb and Sezza Mar 22, 2007 10:30 PM

About pistachio_tumbleweed

Townsville skies... manipulated

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.