Existing Member?

Living my dreams im living my dreams!

How I got here and logistics

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 7 June 2009 | Views [508]

About 3 months ago, I was sitting in a coffee shop and e-mailing my spanish teacher this question:  "If I can´t afford study abroad.  What are my options?  Is it possible to just go somewhere and learn spanish on my own?  I don´t think i´d be able to learn grammar this way, but at least I would be able to speak it."

Her response: "Study abroad is probably your cheapest and best option.  There are plenty of scholarships.  Good luck!"

I knew I couldn´t afford it because I had already met with the study abroad advisors and learned about the costs...my heart sank and I was just about to give up on my dream of traveling abroad to learn a language when...

At that exact moment, the girl sitting next too me started chatting on the phone in french!  With the little french I knew, I struck up a conversation with her.  She was a French teacher at the University and she spent the last summer in Guatemala learning Spanish.  She didn´t get university credit for it because she went to a language school.

THIS WAS MY AH-HA MOMENT! God works in mysterious ways, but how can I be so lucky without Him...What are the odds of finding the answer to my question...sitting next to me in a coffe shop?!  Slim chance!  But it happened!

So, I started researching language schools in south America just to make sure I could find one-there are plenty.  I worked and saved money in order to travel.  I bought tickets to Buenos Aires and then I started to narrow down my choices and I chose to first go to SET idiomas in Cordoba.  I actually prefer a language school to a university sponsored study abroad.  The classes are smaller (usually no more than 5 people), they last 4 or more hours per day, they are cheaper (I´m saving about 12,000), you aren´t around familiar people (i.e. people who speak english) unless you want to be (which I don´t), thus, you are forced to learn Spanish.  Finally, you have the option of doing what YOU want...not what the school organized for you. 

Since arriving here, I´ve made a ´few´ friends at school (most people speak english or skip class to party...not my thing), and I´ve made a friend on the city-bus, I´ve made a friend by getting lost in her apartment complex (she invited me in to tomar mate) and through her, I´ve made even more friends.  Most of my friends can´t speak english.  It´s great!  It´s always better to make friends with the locals.

My plan is to spend 3 more weeks in Cordoba and then 6 more in Buenos Aires.  I actually want to spend more time in Cordoba because I feel like (after 3 weeks) I´m just starting to get settled.  I don´t want to have to move to BA and start all over again.  It takes a while to make friends and I´ve had my fair share of lonely days...but that´s expected!

So if I can, I´ll try to find somewhere to live in Cordoba and stay un poco longer.

I´m coming home August 4th.  I want to have a coming home party with pictures and stories!  Get ready!

 

About pilgrim192


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.