Existing Member?

Living my dreams im living my dreams!

"of course her name is Bruja"

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 7 June 2009 | Views [494] | Comments [1]

Everytime I entered a classroom as a child, my classmates would sing the theme song of the Munsters and they would call me Wednesday.  I also sleep on my back with my hands across my chest like a vampire.  I´m pale (actually, I hate to use the word pale- it makes me feel ugly).  Let´s say...I´m fair-skinned (much better).  I have a dark hair, a widows peak, and I have a strange attraction to owls (especially white ones).  I even dream about them.

So when the Gaucho told me that my horse was named Bruja (aka Witch), I wasn´t surprised. 

Remember when you last watched an old-western and all those cowboys galloped around on horses and it looked easiy?  Well, sorry to burst your dream bubble, but it´s NOT EASY. 

"Whooooaaah. What is go...in...gg...oo..nnn?"  The gaucho was far in front of me.  Bruja started to trot and I realized that I didn´t know how to stop her!  I leaned forward and tried to hold on for dear life.

Think Danielle...What do the cowboys in the movies do?  I pulled on the reins.  Bruja slowed down a bit, but then started to GALLUP!  After, what seemed like eternity, the Gaucho was at my side, and took my reins.  Finally, we came to a stop.  Apparently, I can't lean forward and pull on the reins.  If I lean forward, Bruja thinks I want to gallup.  If I pull on the reins, she thinks I want to stop.  I gave her mixed signals. 

Later, after Bruja and I became more aquanted (she seriously had a mind of her own), I trotted and galloped (a few more times)!  I´m surprised I didn´t die.  Guancho helped me a lot.  He also liked me a lot...EW...but it´s normal.  Argentinians are more affectionate so the hugs and  neck massages were acceptable.

After a beautiful day of riding in the rural foothills of the mountains of Salta, Argentina,  Bruja and I returned to the Estancia.  With a sore bum, I sat down and ate some dulce de leche con pan...I´m so sick of bread.  But I have to eat something, bread will do for now.

  With the spanish-music of the gaucho singing as he rode in combination with the views I experienced that day made it breath-taking.  This is a memory I will cherish forever.  The mountains hung like a deep-blue backdrop to the lush, green fields.  The sun shone like gold over those blue mountains.  The contrasting colors were AMAZING.  

I´m back at a noisy hostel now.  It's about 10:00 PM  Some guy is hovering around me..."can I use the computer now...?"  I really want to say..."I just got here, you were watching soccer for what, like 1 hour...you could have used the compu then...jerk."  I´m tired, remember...that´s my excuse.  But instead I smile and say..."I´m almost done." 

I was just invited to eat dinner at the hostel´s fiesta tonight...thats code-word for pot, beer, food and dirty backpackers...I´ll probably pass.  I hope...no I pray for sleep.

Comments

1

Hey! This has been fun! Ja ja, You´ve made me laugh, I think I'll keep reading. xxx!

  Flor Jun 26, 2009 1:21 PM

About pilgrim192


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.