Existing Member?

My Silk Road The Piglet stumbles across the continent

4 - First stop Xian

CHINA | Monday, 3 September 2012 | Views [724] | Comments [1]

Bang bang noodles

Bang bang noodles

Arrived at Xian on a sunny and dry afternoon.  Absolutely wonderful weather - I can tell as I have volume in my hair, which isn't sticking to my head limply as it normally does in Hong Kong...  Left the Xian airport and went straight to the Han emperors' mausoleum.  Not quite as impressive a sight as the terracotta warriors (which I will visit tomorrow) but still interesting complete with a replica of quarters for banished concubines (ie terracotta concubines).  Some of you know my morbid fascination for mausoleums... 

Checked into the hotel in the evening.  Interesting 1950s soviet style building repurposed to be a hotel.  Quite charming in a retro kind of way (lamps with tassels and brocade curtains...) and I am told this could be the best hotel on the entire trip....

Sent a few mails to some of you (yes, work!!) and then walked to the Muslim quarter for dinner.  A bowl of local noodles shaped like parpadelle.  This is Shanxi parpadelle in a bowl of sour and spicy soup with bits of meat and pickled veg.  Bang bang noodles it is called.  Can't even read the chinese character for "bang". (See photo). Didn't finish the bowl as I forgot to bring tissues and the soup was dribbling all over me (sigh, already ruined a tee shirt on day one).  But 5 minutes after walking out, felt like the noodles had expanded into a ball of starch in my stomach.  Still, the noodles were quite Q (bouncing off the teeth as us cantonese say).  Recommended.

Walked around to see the famous sights at night - Drum Tower, Bell Tower etc all lit up, quite pretty and of course the ubiquitous Starbucks nearby (so I know I am in a civilised place).  Saw a busker singing a bad rendition of We are the World.  Still, full marks for his courage and sincerity.  Had wanted to walk back to the hotel but work emails were calling, and decided to chance a tuk-tuk - cheap and cheerful!

Check out the photos in the Gallery to see what I mean.

 

 

Comments

1

I can't believe you sent emails today...seriously, you are a lunatic!! Move away from the blackberry and eat some more noodles!!

Sarah

  Sarah Harden Sep 4, 2012 12:35 AM

About piglet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.